Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

vor 18 Minuten schrieb M Journey:

My local Leica store just confirmed that the visoflex will be available for purchase on launch day.  Just in case some people are looking forward to that in particular.

☝️Yep! In Germany though. — PS: Posted just to elevate the post per day ratio in this thread. 😁

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Yes - Novoflex does in association with Leki. If you have three, you can assemble them as a tripod too.

You can just mount the Leki photoadapter onto one of your poles if you have recent ones with the Aergon handles. It replaces just the top part of the pommel not the strap/grip and has a brass-threaded insert under a dust cap which takes a tripod-thread widget. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One question for the M11 owners - in live view is the shutter lag gone when using the e-shutter? Surely having to close, then re-open the shutter each time is eliminated now so this should mean instantaneous shots correct?

And how do you select 1/8000, 1/16000sec - do you need to go into the menu for this or can you assign the scroll-wheel to select the e-shutter speeds?

59 minutes ago, algrove said:

Did they tell you its resolution and confirm it is backward compatible?

Nope.  They said everything will be announced on the 13th along with the price.  They also said they are getting less silver m11s in so if you want a silver one you might not get it as soon as the black ones.

22 minutes ago, Pixeleater said:

By the looks of it, and the dimensions, the M10R ADM case should also fit the M11? However, not sure about the ADM battery door.

The ADM with the battery door requires removal of the bottom plate from the M10, so it probably won't be able to slide on all the way. Even if it did, the battery door cutout in the ADM isn't big enough for the new M11 battery. The ADM without the battery door might work fine.

56 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

The ADM with the battery door requires removal of the bottom plate from the M10, so it probably won't be able to slide on all the way. Even if it did, the battery door cutout in the ADM isn't big enough for the new M11 battery. The ADM without the battery door might work fine.

Yea, you are correct. I use the ADM and it’s been a long time since I had to remove it from the camera. That, and I may be subconsciously gravitating to the M11 bottom plate change. 😉

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 10:27 PM, Steven said:

I see no difference in the viewfinder, but im not a technical person and I havent read the manual or the box, nor was I given a spec sheet cause im not a beta tester. Sorry I can't be of more help. 

I can't compare the hotshoe cause I sold my M10R, I prefer the M11 by far. 

I just read some people mentioning a bigger screen. Sorry that's not true. The button lay out is switched, which is better . The screen might be a bit off to the right compared to the prev one, and its better quality, but its not bigger. At least not that I can see. 

Hey Steve,

These questions are battery-life-saving and precise focusing mechanism relevant...

Regarding the new external EVF, are you able to switch off GPS?

Did you experience any latency?

Is there a function key for 10x magnification? I don't see a spot-tracking(focus spot steering) knob similarity on SL2 indeed.

Meanwhile, are we able to choose if we're not going to use WLAN/Bluetooth?

Many thanks.

Edited by Erato

7 hours ago, Al Brown said:

I for one think - if that is really the deal - that CHARGING YOUR M11 FROM A 10.000 mAh POWERBANK stationed in your pocket is a HUUUUUGE thing.

This feature is available on the SL2 cameras and works great.

I did a 3 week remote trip charging my camera only from the car lighter and a portable solar charger.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

It seems that with a 60mp sensor, sticking to higher shutter speeds whenever possible would be a good idea.  This may result in an uptick of sales in the 28, 35 and 50 Summiluxes.

It may also result in a renaissance of monopod use as well as stabilizers such as these https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/762978-REG/The_Pod_RE0017_The_Red_Pod_Bean.html 

Don't scoff at the monopod - it can be a lifesaver in low light situations.  Take a look at the Sirui P-326 Carbon Fiber Monopod and the Benro DJ90 Monopod Tilt Head With PU60 Plate - I have found this setup to be an excellent addition to my M kit.

1/16,000 Electro. shutter speed dial may also release the beast of Noctilux or so.

Perhaps ND filters are no longer a permanent requirement for the landscape photographer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erato said:

Hey Steve,

These questions are battery-life-saving and precise focusing mechanism relevant...

Regarding the new external EVF, are you able to switch off GPS?

Did you experience any latency?

Is there a function key for 10x magnification? I don't see a spot-tracking(focus spot steering) knob similarity on SL2 indeed.

Meanwhile, are we able to choose if we're not going to use WLAN/Bluetooth?

Many thanks.

magnification button has been moved to the right side of the shutter button

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Erato said:

Perhaps ND filters are no longer a permanent requirement for the landscape photographer.

You are confusing the use of ND for landscape (they will still be needed because they help with long exposures for, say, blurry water) with the use of ND filters for shooting wide open at large apertures on sunny days.

2 hours ago, stefanusj said:

magnification button has been moved to the right side of the shutter button

Any chance it has a similar toggle to the Q2 or SL2 where it will punch in and magnify LCD or Viso VF if you rack the focus on the lens and snap back when you half click shutter?  I found that slightly more useful than a dedicated magnification button.

Edited by NickTheo