Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica UK on IG posted Saturday event with Joshua K. Jackson:
"In Conversation with Joshua K. Jackson | Low-light Photography (complimentary webinar) Saturday, 15th January, 14:00 - 15:00 GMT, Link in bio to book your space.
Join us for an exclusive talk with the renowned street photographer to celebrate the debut of a new Leica icon. Joshua will be discussing his latest project 'Friday Night Lights' and his unique experience shooting the returning nightlife in London with the Leica M-System. He'll also share insights about his photography approach to capture stunning images at night."

Since the high ISO performance is my main interest in upgrading I have registered. That and the multifield metering has my interest for a much better reportage camera than my M10, as long as the price is not through the roof.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Steven said:

Still a great camera. Irreversible progress, if you ask me. 

Good to hear but can you go into more detail about the finish of the black M11? After all that teasing I mean. :D You don't have to tell us if you like it or not but can you describe it a bit more to us? Any similarity to current or past Leica bodies?

Cheers :) 

See my post above #5281. Leica has discontinued the black chrome process to a more environmentally friendly finish in black. It is not plated, but uses a different process. It feels very different than the familiar black chrome finish. It has more "tooth" to it, not as smooth as black chrome. Hard to describe, but when you experience it, you will understand. I agree with Steven that it will be another polarizing issue.

• Like 2

Close to a week now with my M11 - I vastly prefer my m10r. Build quality, unique sensor, and general operation of the camera. I never go into menus with the R. The m11 has more stuff, but it's been mostly a distraction so far. 

It will be interesting to see the general reception of the camera a few months after release. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Nothing good here, mate. Sorry. 

I can already see it coming. The 50 pages longs hating on the new finish. Let me tell you that it's going to be a very polarising topic. 

Then it's definitely not the quality of the anti-scratch paint on the Reporters. I already hate the finish on the regular black Q2 (feels thin and smears with fingerprints/face oil too easily), so I don't think I'm going to like the black M11. Will try for a silver or wait it out for a BP version with brass.

3 minutes ago, Oswalt said:

Close to a week now with my M11 - I vastly prefer my m10r. Build quality, unique sensor, and general operation of the camera. I never go into menus with the R. The m11 has more stuff, but it's been mostly a distraction so far. 

Well that's interesting

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 minutes ago, Oswalt said:

It will be interesting to see the general reception of the camera a few months after release. 

You think the M10-R sensor is more unique in output than the M11? Interesting. Might be worth going back to one as soon as the discounts hit.

7 minutes ago, Oswalt said:

You will not be the only one from this opinion. Far from it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven said:

Not at all. I think I want to buy a silver M11 right now, wear all the paint off, and have Kanto repaint it. Maybe in Olive, or black paint, so I can't sand paper the hell out of it.

Wondering if the balance feels weird on the M11 silver with the heavy brass top and lightweight aluminum bottom. Have you had a chance to handle a silver one yet?

10 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

You think the M10-R sensor is more unique in output than the M11? Interesting. Might be worth going back to one as soon as the discounts hit.

I just picked one up at a hefty discount, with a full 2 year Leica warranty..........

25 minutes ago, Oswalt said:

With an M10R already in my bag, the way I see it, if I can’t wait a bit to see if I want one, I want it for the wrong reasons.

• Like 2

I tried an M10-R a few weeks ago, and decided to switch out my M10. I was consolidating (selling) gear anyway, so without cash outlay, my workflow and M kit is now unified and reduced to the M10-R and M10 Monochrom (one or the other; not taken out together). Lens options have likewise been pared.  Together with the SL2 and two zooms (just sold my only SL prime), I have all the gear that I need or could wish for, and probably still too much.

So, given that and not being an early adopter anyway, I have no interest in testing or buying the M11 at this point. Plenty of time for all the dust to settle. Other than the expected curiosity and entertainment factor associated with a new M release, my 2022 goal will be to spend more time picture making and printing, and commensurately less time on the forum chatting about it. 

Jeff

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Jeff S said:

I tried an M10-R a few weeks ago, and decided to switch out my M10. I was consolidating (selling) gear anyway, so without cash outlay, my workflow and M kit is now unified and reduced to the M10-R and M10 Monochrom (one or the other; not taken out together). Lens options have likewise been pared.  Together with the SL2 and two zooms (just sold my only SL prime), I have all the gear that I need or could wish for, and probably still too much.

So, given that and not being an early adopter anyway, I have no interest in testing or buying the M11 at this point. Plenty of time for all the dust to settle. Other than the expected curiosity and entertainment factor associated with a new M release, my 2022 goal will be to spend more time picture making and printing, and commensurately less time on the forum chatting about it. 

Jeff

Sounds like a perfect kit. No excuse indeed not to be outdoors now (with a mask). 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Oswalt said:

How did you evaluate raw files of M11? Do you have a post processor that already fully supports M11?

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Yes, I do. There are a number of reasons for this, but from where I start my edit (linear response) to finish, the m10r edits quite beautifully. The M11 is requiring more effort in terms of colour accuracy and reducing noise artifacts. 

That is all I will say at this point. Of course my opinion is subjective, and my intention isn't to rain on the current parade here. It's a good camera, no doubt (most current cameras are though). My gut is telling me the m10r will be similarly coveted like the m9 in a few years time. 

One other thing that is bugging me is the exposed usb - c port on the bottom of the camera. Normally there is a rubber plug, or cover. But I'm not sure if I misplaced mine or if it being bare is intended  

14 minutes ago, SrMi said:

How did you evaluate raw files of M11? Do you have a post processor that already fully supports M11?

C21 - adobe dng / linear response. It's a good basis for any file. Color balance, etc can be corrected. I'm still capable of getting a good feel for what the sensor is able to offer me. That's how I prefer to work. 

• Thanks 1

I dont have an M11, and if the metering mode is what I think It is from the leaked specs, I never will, but I think its impossible to truly see how the color/look of the files will be until the profiles are released.  

I had an M10R when it was first released and immediately returned it upon opening the files in C1, they were horrible and I hated them, now I have a BP M10R and love its colors.  I used my MD262 with the standard DNG/Linear response and never liked the color out of it.   
What I am saying is, maybe we should wait until more people have used it(assuming you actually have and aren't talking out of your ass) and there are color profiles before assessing how good or bad it is

Edited by neekon
  • Like 1

I don't know, call me old fashioned I guess but somehow a dealer or someone at Leica slipped you an M11 a week before the official launch and before even the beta testers and official test reviews are out, so I am pretty sure Leica wouldn't be too thrilled with any of us if we were to spoil the party with some input especially not favorable before launch day has even hit. Maybe just keep your thoughts to yourself for a few more days? 

1 minute ago, insideline said:

I don't know, call me old fashioned I guess but somehow a dealer or someone at Leica slipped you an M11 a week before the official launch and before even the beta testers and official test reviews are out, so I am pretty sure Leica wouldn't be too thrilled with any of us if we were to spoil the party with some input especially not favorable before launch day has even hit. Maybe just keep your thoughts to yourself for a few more days? 

I take it this is directed at me. I'll say whatever I damn well please, thank you very much. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1