Leica M11 - your next camera? {MERGED}

Al Brown

Hey JonoSlack,

I’m sure your review will be most excellent when it comes out and I look forward to reading it slowly with a cup of coffee at that time.

However, it might be helpful if you have someone read it first and proof for grammar and style issues, so I’ll humbly volunteer myself to do this horrible job today and read your review before it’s released into the wild.  Send it to me now!  Pretty please?  😀

Can’t wait!

• Haha 4

...the folks over in the Marketing Dept. really seem to be excessive in their enjoyment of torturing the faithful this time around...

The unbridled M11 hysteria is starting to remind me of when I was in the first grade and the Beatles came to America. 

I wonder how many people will scream and swoon at the mere sight of the M11?  😄

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

14 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

The unbridled M11 hysteria is starting to remind me of when I was in the first grade and the Beatles came to America. 

We need to organize post-launch support groups!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

A lot of wives who see their elegant resort vacations to Cabo going down the drain will be screaming…

• Haha 2

Well, I distinctly remember the night Herr Kaufmann introduced the M240 at Photokina. Once he placed on the black M240 a small pedestal up on the stage  the bumping and cheering was like a rock concert frenzy. I had never before seen grown men act like teenagers at a rock concert with their idol within touching distance in front of them. I'll dig up a photo of the presentation somewhere.

Images posted under Nifty-Fifty lens threading the M9M+0.95 Noctilux.

Edited by algrove
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Ponnefaxen said:

Do you guys think that the black M11 is black anodized (like for example the Q2) or do you belive that it has more of a ”matte” look  (like the M10 black chrome)? I think it’s kinda hard to tell from the pictures i’ve seen..

I think others have reported it is not the same finish as before. More like the reporter. It is now w more environmentally friendly process. The finish has a little more tooth than black chrome, meaning it feels "rougher" and not as smooth. I am looking forward to black paint!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, derleicaman said:

I think others have reported it is not the same finish as before. More like the reporter. It is now w more environmentally friendly process. The finish has a little more tooth than black chrome, meaning it feels "rougher" and not as smooth. I am looking forward to black paint!

That'a actually a good thing. The M10 Reporter finish was outstanding for the short time I had it. The Q2 Reporter finish is a little less refined, though, perhaps because it's not painted onto brass – a bit rougher and less premium feeling but a great grip from a functionality standpoint. One thing I've noticed with the Q2 Reporter, is the finish is so "toothy" that it actually is wearing the strap color off my strap. This wipes right off the Q2 paint, but it could be the test units being passed around had collected a lot of grime that just needed to be cleaned off.

Edited by hdmesa

60MP is nice, but the files are huge. I have an A7RIV and churning through a full card, importing, sorting, editing, etc., feels so much more cumbersome than with my M10-P RAW files. I'm curious about the performance of the sensor and the meter. The new metering system is the most interesting thing about the new camera to me. Improved dynamic range would be nice. If I only shot an M10-P, I might not notice but when I alternate between a my Sony and the M the disparities are more noticeable. That said, an M11M or M11-P/Reporter will be tempting--as will a new Noctilux 50. Ugh. I need to go water the money tree. 

Edited by _Alex_
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, hdmesa said:

That'a actually a good thing. The M10 Reporter finish was outstanding for the short time I had it. The Q2 Reporter finish is a little less refined, though, perhaps because it's not painted onto brass – a bit rougher and less premium feeling but a great grip from a functionality standpoint. One thing I've noticed with the Q2 Reporter, is the finish is so "toothy" that it actually is wearing the strap color off my strap. This wipes right off the Q2 paint, but it could be the test units being passed around had collected a lot of grime that just needed to be cleaned off.

Nothing good here, mate. Sorry. 

I can already see it coming. The 50 pages longs hating on the new finish. Let me tell you that it's going to be a very polarising topic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, NickTheo said:

You think the weight trade off is worth the sacrifice Steven? 

Not at all. I think I want to buy a silver M11 right now, wear all the paint off, and have Kanto repaint it. Maybe in Olive, or black paint, so I can't sand paper the hell out of it.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 4