Leica Q2 Monochrom - Image Thread

RobM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stuny - great post. One banjos are the best these days, but expensive, too much for me. Ode were cheaper, and very good, but they are a rare sighting in the UK. 

Phil - thanks. I'll play around with the app. Cheers.

Edited by RobM

3 hours ago, stuny said:

Phil beat me to it with the advice, and thank you for the video - Lovely, simple and achingly sad.. 

In the summer of '64 my best friend and I drove around North America singing for our supper - We both lost weight. We brought along two 6-string and two 12-string acoustic guitars. In Boulder Colorado we stopped at the Ode Banjo factory, where we ended up talking with its owner, Chuck Ogsbury and watching him and his artisans craft their wonderful banjos until nearly midnight, after which we went to Chuck's home for the night.  When we awoke the next morning Chuck was already back down the mountain in the factory, and his wife Sandy made us breakfast after breast feeding her infant daughter.  (As of two or three years ago when I spoke with his daughter Chuck still worked at his factory, with his daughter at his side.)  We picked up a long necked six string banjo he just completed for us.  One of the unique features of his banjos was a bronze tone ring mounted on the inner circumference of the back of the banjo, about 3/4 of an inch wide.  Along with his attention to detail and design that banjo would play as loud as a Gibson Mastertone equipped with a full resonator, but with significantly better sound.  It's rim was of wood.  It looked wonderful with the hand-cut head, Grover Rotomatic tuning machines, and intricate mother of pearl inlays, and it was exceptionally smooth to play.

About two years later Chuck sold the company to Baldwin, a firm that started out with pianos and organs, and wanted to sell additional musical instruments through their piano and organ dealers.  One of the other firms they bought was Gretsch guitars.  Then they got into banking and financial products, over expanded and went bankrupt.  Fred Gretsch, Jr bought back the Gretsch name.  By '67 Chuck was overtaken by wanderlust, but in the '70s got back into making banjos, under the brand name of OME.  I understand they are even better than the Ode banjos.

Wonderful story! I need to find the photos of banjos a friend makes - absolute works of art

• Like 2

15 hours ago, RobM said:

My first video with the Q2M. It works well, but one drawback is having to have someone else half-click the shutter for focus. I'm used to making videos by myself with a camcorder, where no other person is needed. Is there a way to ensure focus and start the video recording while sitting five feet away?

The tenor banjo is only one of the instruments I play, guitar being the main one. FYI, this banjo hails from Boston circa 1917. It has hardly any sustain at all, which some of you might find difficult, but I enjoy making little arrangements like this for it. Eddy Davis - Woody Allen's banjo player - died of Covid recently, and the little online tenor-banjo community is quite saddened. Hence this little tribute. 

I love this! Beautiful feeling to your playing, and the black and white video is great.

• Thanks 2

On 12/12/2020 at 1:04 PM, jonoslack said:

I can't do video and don't have proper editing software anyway, but I found myself on Redgrave Fen this afternoon amongst the starlings with just the mono - so I recorded this and then reduced it from 835mb to 35mb so as to make it allowable.  .  . Nothing else done! It looks amazing at full size!

Jono: Awesome! I just showed this to my two young boys--and we were all amazed! Thank you from all three of us. 

Edited by ramosa

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by billh
  • Like 15

ISO 40,000

This camera is amazing.  

• Like 11

I know that it might seem odd posting a photo of a row of books, but I really like this image.  I have shot dozens of practice or test shots of this very same bookshelf over the years, but none have come close to this one in terms of sharpness, detail, tonality and what I would call radiance.  All credit goes to the monochrome sensor in the Q2M. Those who say that converting from color to B&W can replicate this look are sorely mistaken.  I hope that the web jpeg will do justice to what I see on my monitor and in the 10 x 15 inch print that I made. Definitely click on the image to see the better large view.  BTW, I used a light yellow filter.

Edited by robgo2
  • Like 11

23 minutes ago, robgo2 said:

I know that it might seem odd posting a photo of a row of books, but I really like this image.  I have shot dozens of practice or test shots of this very same bookshelf over the years, but none have come close to this one in terms of sharpness, detail, tonality and what I would call radiance.  All credit goes to the monochrome sensor in the Q2M. Those who say that converting from color to B&W can replicate this look are sorely mistaken.  I hope that the web jpeg will do justice to what I see on my monitor and in the 10 x 15 inch print that I made. Definitely click on the image to see the better large view.  BTW, I used a light yellow filter.

Some people will never agree, or can see it - and it's all fine in my book.

So it does not surprise me seeing great results - what I am shocked is seeing so many photography books....

1 hour ago, nwphil said:

Some people will never agree, or can see it - and it's all fine in my book.

So it does not surprise me seeing great results - what I am shocked is seeing so many photography books....

Phil,

That's just a fraction of my photo book collection, which I have been building over many years.  Usually, it's about 1 to 2 books each year, many received as gifts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robgo2 said:

Phil,

That's just a fraction of my photo book collection, which I have been building over many years.  Usually, it's about 1 to 2 books each year, many received as gifts.

...just teasing you Rob - interesting titles for sure in that fraction

4 hours ago, robgo2 said:

Naturally, I'm desperate to know the name of the book with the spine not on view..

Nice shot.

1 minute ago, RobM said:

Naturally, I'm desperate to know the name of the book with the spine not on view..

Nice shot.

It’s “Vivian Maier—A Photographer Found.”  The book is too tall to stand upright on that shelf. It was a birthday gift from someone in my family, but I can’t remember who. Maier did most of her work in Chicago, which is where I was born and grew up.  She was a nanny to some people that I know and was always taking pictures   Of course, no one realized what an artist she was, and she died penniless. Her fame came only posthumously. 

• Like 3