Favorite lens with your CL?

6 hours ago, cj3209 said:

I don't know what additional TL lenses are needed?  With the M-L adapter, you have all the M-lenses available to use.  The current prime range is 18, 23, 35, and 60 with a few zooms added.

I think a CL2 w/IBIS, weather-proofing and more MP would be good.

I would have thought that it was clear that I was referring to new native autofocus lenses for the CL/TL cameras.  Any serious camera system has a full range of native lenses, both primes and zooms.  If you are satisfied with what Leica currently has on offer, that is fine.  My point was that the absence of new native lenses may be an indication that Leica has already lost interest in their APS-C cameras.  It's pure speculation on my part, and I hope to be wrong.

7 hours ago, Gregm61 said:

If Leica had a catalog of 50 TL lenses, someone would come up with two more “have to have” lenses they’d lament were not being made...

Will it be a problem? Having more lenses to play with is always better for everybody. 
It would be nice to have the luxury to ever complained about another missing TL lens. 
But in 2021 ? Only 7 lenses in total. And no new lens since the CL released in 2017 ! Crazy. 
Hopefully Sigma save the system with 3 great DC DNs. 

So let us asking loudly for many more TL lenses. If you ask for nothing. You will get nothing in return. That’s sure. 

But I am pretty sure that Leica has a surprise for us this year. Weather-sealed CL2 is confirmed. It may come with a brand new lens. Or a whole redesign of current TL lenses : better IQ and ingress protection. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Will it be a problem? Having more lenses to play with is always better for everybody. 
It would be nice to have the luxury to ever complained about another missing TL lens. 
But in 2021 ? Only 7 lenses in total. And no new lens since the CL released in 2017 ! Crazy. 
Hopefully Sigma save the system with 3 great DC DNs. 

So let us asking loudly for many more TL lenses. If you ask for nothing. You will get nothing in return. That’s sure. 

But I am pretty sure that Leica has a surprise for us this year. Weather-sealed CL2 is confirmed. It may come with a brand new lens. Or a whole redesign of current TL lenses : better IQ and 

If leica does not soon show that they will continue APSC then I am out. I have my M but if I want to "upgrade" to SL2-S I am very much in doubt. I do not want such a big camera and there are so many otter options. Then I will at least search the market before that decision. I will not wate anymore. I hope you are right because I am actually happy with both M and TL2 / Cl. But if only one camera comes then I do not think Leica will bet on the system anymore.

2 hours ago, Kim Dahl said:

If leica does not soon show that they will continue APSC then I am out. I have my M but if I want to "upgrade" to SL2-S I am very much in doubt. I do not want such a big camera and there are so many otter options. Then I will at least search the market before that decision. I will not wate anymore. I hope you are right because I am actually happy with both M and TL2 / Cl. But if only one camera comes then I do not think Leica will bet on the system anymore.

Does anyone know if third party manufacturers in the L-lens alliance are producing lenses specifically for the APS-C format?  If so, that would be a sign of confidence that Leica will stay in the game.  If not, well draw your own conclusions.

13 hours ago, robgo2 said:

I would have thought that it was clear that I was referring to new native autofocus lenses for the CL/TL cameras.  Any serious camera system has a full range of native lenses, both primes and zooms.  If you are satisfied with what Leica currently has on offer, that is fine.  My point was that the absence of new native lenses may be an indication that Leica has already lost interest in their APS-C cameras.  It's pure speculation on my part, and I hope to be wrong.

Point taken.  I sold my CL but would look at a CL2.  

I need to go out and take more pictures!!

😁

• Like 1

I find the Cl eco system already very complete. Between the leica and sigma optics we have the embarrassment of choice. 

For the optics with an attractive price there are the sigma.  As Nicci told me a few months ago he is very satisfied and I will tend to trust him. 

Could you tell us what your expectations are in terms of lenses ?
For my part a 50mm summicron eq. 75 would be interesting. 

The CL remains a camera for the wealthy amateur, certainly very qualitative but whose price is justified only for those who already have M lenses or for those who can only photograph with a leica !

I have a very special relationship with this system and since I also own the M and SL systems, it is never my first choice. 

In portability I prefer the M and in pure quality the SL. 

Of course if the CL was my only system I think I would be more than satisfied...

It seems important for Leica to offer a successor to the CL as well as the TL. 

If we talk about marketing and strategy it seems logical that leica occupies the aps-c segment. In terms of financial results I have no idea...

In any case, whether Leica evolves it or not, this system will make many users happy for many years to come. 
It is very qualitative and offers a very good image quality. 

It's a pity that we always invest so much in technology and so little in the knowledge and practice of photography through the Workshops for example. 

Come on, I bet the CL2 is the one we are all waiting for !

• Like 1

I really hope the system survives. Exactly Leica can make such a camera. "UR Leica" there is a good story in the camera. And a small modern system camera I think there is a future in. But such a sudden stop of lenses are not good signs- I hope I'm wrong. But an official statement that Leica will make more lenses and which. It will strengthen the apsc system. I think.

There will be a new CL2 this year. 
But no TL3. TL line up has been cancelled internally as early as 2018...  

The good news : CL2 will receive 100% of R&D dedicated to APS-C. Instead of dividing ressources among two siblings. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

There will be a new CL2 this year. 
But no TL3. TL line up has been cancelled internally as early as 2018...  

The good news : CL2 will receive 100% of R&D dedicated to APS-C. Instead of dividing ressources among two siblings. 

Interesting.. how much better can an APS-C get? 24MP itself seemed to be a lot for this sensor.. would it be worth an upgrade in terms of IQ.. will have to wait and see.. would be nice if they made an M43 system as well :D more pocket size awesomeness.. 

I work as a press photographer. I can see the vast majority of pictures I have taken are between 24-50 mm. If I take sports and portraiture from !  Leica does not have a bright wide angle. I have 35 1.4 It's an absolutely fantastic lens. But a 16/18 1.4 would be a must. And I do not think it is a competitor to Q - But it will make you stay in the Leica system. What do you think?

1 hour ago, Kim Dahl said:

I work as a press photographer. I can see the vast majority of pictures I have taken are between 24-50 mm. If I take sports and portraiture from !  Leica does not have a bright wide angle. I have 35 1.4 It's an absolutely fantastic lens. But a 16/18 1.4 would be a must. And I do not think it is a competitor to Q - But it will make you stay in the Leica system. What do you think?

I agree and have been saying so for a while. I have grown to love the CL and the results it can deliver, but a fast wide-angle would go a long way to rounding out the system. If Fuji can manage it, so can Leica.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ruskkyle said:

I agree and have been saying so for a while. I have grown to love the CL and the results it can deliver, but a fast wide-angle would go a long way to rounding out the system. If Fuji can manage it, so can Leica.

A fast Leica wide prime would probably cost around $4K.  I'm not sure if that lens would be popular for the average CL owner.  The 35 1.4 TL costs $2,800.

Edited by cj3209

I personally, would like to see smaller, more portable TL lenses and I would sacrifice speed.  For instance, a pancake 28mm f3.5 TL.  The 35 1.4 is too big IMHO to use on a portable CL body - for under $2K, hopefully.

Edited by cj3209

Expensive (relatively) APS-C lenses are normally sold to owners of expensive(relatively) APS-C cameras who appreciate the smaller size and lighter weight.

However, the problem with Summilux and Noctilux type lenses on APS-C is that those are often bought by shallow-DOF lovers, and the format is not the most suitable in that discipline.

• Like 2

Leica did not think like that. 
In their mind APS-C line-up is a bargain. A third of the price of SL2 and SL lenses. 
So you got 50% the frame for 33% of the cost. 

So CL + TL lenses is the least expensive entry point into Leica world. Take it or leave it. 

Obviously there are many cheaper APS-C options. Just like there are many less expensive full frame ones. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2