Favorite lens with your CL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An interesting point made by Peter Karbe: To design a fixed aperture zoom you must use the aperture it has at maximum focal length. When zooming out, you must cut off the wider apertures that it could render, so you are effectively throwing away the wider possible aperture at short focal lengths.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new here, but have been shooting for about 45 yrs.... and until recently my experience with lenses on the CL was limited to a trio of L mount, 20-60mm/24-105 and the 70-200mm f4. The later two having OIS which I found to be a great benefit to my style of shooting, I travel and hike a lot. I recently completely revamped my gear and figured the point to using the CL was to have something smaller and lighter, so I've recently picked up a 23mm f2 and a  11-23mm. I've not had them long enough to pick a favorite, I'm also pondering the 55-135mm, I need something long since i moved on from the P 70-200mm f4, which I found to be great, except for the size and weight, it feels like you are shooting with a Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 😄.

Been enjoying reading others thoughts and experiences with lenses on the CL.

• Like 2

Just rediscovered the joy of my 28mm Elmarit M on my CL. I've got the TL 23 which is great but I just don't love and the 35which although fantastic I find just too big to find myself using. I ran 13km yesterday in the snowy hills and just carried my CL+28mm in my hand without thinking about it. Such a light, small package and I find myself preferring MF over AF more and more.

• Like 3

Another rediscovered compact M lens on the CL: Summicron-M 35/2 v4. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by lct
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I first bought my CL, I purchased the 11-23 and 55-135TL lenses, and the M adapter, figuring I'd use my 35mm f1.4M FLE as the "go between"......

A month later I had the 35mm f1.4TL.

AF is very nice/convenient and, having used SF60 TTL flash units with both the M262 and CL, TTL flash is much more accurate with the CL, I think because the camera utilizes the focus point in the flash exposure calculation.

Edited by Gregm61

Hi.  @jaapv :
Seeing that TL2 and CL are similar in many things and in order not to have to open another thread, and as a moderator that you are and assuming that you can do it, I propose to modify the title of this thread and where it says: "Favorite lens with your CL?" Say: "Favorite lens with your CL, T, Tl and TL2?" .. In this way the owners of these cameras can collaborate and participate in this thread.

You can do it?..

36 minutes ago, Dopaco said:

Hi.  @jaapv :
Seeing that TL2 and CL are similar in many things and in order not to have to open another thread, and as a moderator that you are and assuming that you can do it, I propose to modify the title of this thread and where it says: "Favorite lens with your CL?" Say: "Favorite lens with your CL, T, Tl and TL2?" .. In this way the owners of these cameras can collaborate and participate in this thread.

You can do it?..

I would prefer different lenses if i liked the T personally but it's just me :cool:.  

I actually had all the TL lenses apart from 60mm macro

I now have 24-105 Panasonic, 30 sigma (so much lighter and as good imho as 35TL) and a variety of ‘legacy lenses- 50mm canon 1.4 and 40mm summicron (original CL) which complement my Q2

Well I went whole hog since my last post and now have the three zooms, and the 23mm. I will say the 11-23mm is the best crop body zoom I've used to date, having had Fuji/Nikon and Canon apsc wides. The 55-135mm is another really nice lens except I wish it focused closer, like the newer Panasonic L lenses. Leica seems to be in the midst of making 25 different Q bodies and nothing new on the CL, I guess I'm hoping for a CL with IBIS but wondering what the price will be.... at least $3300 USD.

One from the 55-135mm @101mm f6.3

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Beautiful image. Reminds me on something similar I saw/captured at White Sands National Monument 2-3 years ago.

The CL's great higher ISO image quality makes using the 55-135 very practical. Stabilization is great, but so is keeping shutter speeds up to avoid any movement in scenes where being able to capture a sharp image at 1/30 second with IBIS is worthless if subject movement within the scene ruins it as much as any camera shake being negated with IBIS, and this is from a former Olympus Micro Four-Thirds user who benefitted as much as anyone from that systems outstanding IBIS system. I very much prefer the CL system as it currently sits.

Edited by Gregm61

29 minutes ago, Gregm61 said:

Beautiful image. Reminds me on something similar I saw/captured at White Sands National Monument 2-3 years ago.

The CL's great higher ISO image quality makes using the 55-135 very practical. Stabilization is great, but so is keeping shutter speeds up to avoid any movement in scenes where being able to capture a sharp image at 1/30 second with IBIS is worthless if subject movement within the scene ruins it as much as any camera shake being negated with IBIS, and this is from a former Olympus Micro Four-Thirds user who benefitted as much as anyone from that systems outstanding IBIS system. I very much prefer the CL system as it currently sits.

Thanks for you kind words, I've found IS in lens and IBIS has changed the way I shoot, I've gone from tripod mounted to mostly handheld. Up until the pandemic most of my work was travel related so having it is a huge benefit, when I'm including people I'm normally working in better light or I can control the situation. I'm working as a photographer and will use every bit of tech help I can get. Sure I can use my old method of firing a burst of frames for a sharp image but most modern bodies now have IBIS...Olympus level of IBIS, well that's a dream scenario.

On 2/12/2021 at 3:50 PM, huwm said:

I actually had all the TL lenses apart from 60mm macro

I now have 24-105 Panasonic, 30 sigma (so much lighter and as good imho as 35TL) and a variety of ‘legacy lenses- 50mm canon 1.4 and 40mm summicron (original CL) which complement my Q2

Should have read the question 

most used 24-105mm

My favourite is the  m40mm summicron which really does almost challenge the Q2 in my ‘just 1 camera/lens’ mantra now and again 

Re-visiting this thread, what I see when I look through my Lightroom catalog and search for all exposures with the CL is that I tend to use my circa 1972 Summilux 35mm f/1.4 (a very small lens with "adjustable bokeh" depending on Aperture setting) the most, with the circa 1992, three-cam Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm f/2.8 a close second (because I use that lens for so much film and small print copy work). In other words, a fast normal lens with remarkably beautiful imaging and a super quality, short tele macro lens are my standard lenses.

I think the same can be said for every 'system' camera I've ever owned. A fast wide-to-normal and a short, macro-capable tele seem to be my most useful and desirable lens choices ... the occasional reach into ultra wide and also into long telephoto is there, but of much less importance. At times, I think it might be best to just limit what I have in lenses to those two to reduce the distractions of having to choose from so many, concentrate more on the subject I want to capture. :)

G

On 2/12/2021 at 10:45 AM, thedruid said:

Well I went whole hog since my last post and now have the three zooms, and the 23mm. I will say the 11-23mm is the best crop body zoom I've used to date, having had Fuji/Nikon and Canon apsc wides. The 55-135mm is another really nice lens except I wish it focused closer, like the newer Panasonic L lenses. Leica seems to be in the midst of making 25 different Q bodies and nothing new on the CL, I guess I'm hoping for a CL with IBIS but wondering what the price will be.... at least $3300 USD

This is what concerns me about Leica's commitment to the APS-C format.  They are not developing any new TL lenses.  Does this mean that they are ceding that role to third party manufacturers but will continue bringing out new cameras, OR are they giving up on the whole line?  There have been rumors circulating regarding an upcoming CL2, but only time will tell if such a camera ever sees the light of day.

I don’t think they’ll ever go full-on with lots and lots of lenses for this system. It’s a niche of niche products for them.

The lens lineup they have is probably about what they wanted to produce. 11-135mm in continuous zooms with a few specialty primes, especially at the price-point they sell those lenses, it cannot be a huge volume series....the M series isn’t even remotely what one could call big volume and it surely out-sells the TL line by a wide, wide margin.

If the line makes money, they’ll continue making it. Seems at this point that question has been answered regarding the T/TL/TL2 series. We’ll know soon enough regarding the CL.

3 hours ago, robgo2 said:

This is what concerns me about Leica's commitment to the APS-C format.  They are not developing any new TL lenses.  Does this mean that they are ceding that role to third party manufacturers but will continue bringing out new cameras, OR are they giving up on the whole line?  There have been rumors circulating regarding an upcoming CL2, but only time will tell if such a camera ever sees the light of day.

I don't know what additional TL lenses are needed?  With the M-L adapter, you have all the M-lenses available to use.  The current prime range is 18, 23, 35, and 60 with a few zooms added.

I think a CL2 w/IBIS, weather-proofing and more MP would be good.

• Like 1