15 years of digital Leica M - which model is your favorite and most hated?

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gee, I didn't know the M9 was coming out - I had purchased my M8.2 several weeks before, and while the people I bought it from (Roberts Imaging) offered mea good trade in, I was getting to enjoy the M8.2 - which was sold to me as a "demo" camera.  In retrospect, I think I made the right choice - for me.

I just got out my M2, and while it shows some wear (part of the leather covering is missing), it seems to work fine.  It took a few minutes to figure out how to reset the film counter, but it's all set to load up some film and try it out.  I guess I'll transfer the Leicameter to the M2 before doing so.

The viewfinder is a disappointment.  Everything I love about the M3 is gone.  I doubt if the M-A is going to be any different.  ....but it works just find with my 35mm lens.

I must say @Stuart Richardson is right and the M9 color is refreshing!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I've owned every basic Leica camera, the M8, M8.2, M9, M240, MP-240, M10 and M10-P. I suppose that I'm going to be the outlier here and say that the M8.2 is my favorite digital Leica and the M9 was my least favorite. Contrary to most M9 lovers, I never liked the punchy colors that it produced.

I'm a professional photographer and have used the Leica M system since the 80's. I currently use an M10 and M10-P for daily work. Other than the inadequate battery, I find them to be the best of all of the digital Ms and I'm very pleased with them.

The M9 was my first digital Leica which I purchased used. Coming from Canon 5DII and 1DX, I found everything from the monitor to the ISO to be lacking. It was a step back by about two generations compared to the Canons I was using. The rangefinder needed to be adjusted, so I returned it to KEH for a refund. Fast forward a couple of years and I tried a used MP-240 and it was everything I was missing from the M9. I purchased an M240 as a second body in addition to some modern Leica lenses and I was set. Then I came across a used M8 cheap and bought it on a whim. I knew all about it's faults, but the price was such that I could have flipped it for a reasonable profit. Once I started looking at the BW files from the DNG raws, I found what I remembered from shooting Tri-X with an M4. I was in love with that camera, warts and all. I found a reasonably priced M8.2 and the improved shutter was worth the upgrade. I never bonded with the M8 shutter sound of an electric stapler.

I now have an embarrassing number of M8.2 cameras, because whenever I see one priced at $1k or less, I end up buying it. The M8.2 with a 35mm Summicron is my daily carry for my personal work. I treat it like a BW film camera and have no complaints as long as I work within those parameters. I still rely heavily on my M10 cameras for daily color work, though. An M10-R is in my future once I can figure out how to scratch up the funds for it after selling one of my M10s.

Edited by 84bravo
  • Like 5

11 minutes ago, 84bravo said:

I now have an embarrassing number of M8.2 cameras, because whenever I see one priced at $1k or less, I end up buying it. The M8.2 with a 35mm Summicron is my daily carry for my personal work. I treat it like a BW film camera and have no complaints as long as I work within those parameters.

My first digital Leica was the M8.2, and I love it.  People don't like the way a 35mm lens turns into a "normal" lens, but I keep a 35mm on my M8.2 and shoot it as if I was using a "normal lens" (50) on all my previous cameras.  I also love the fact that it's the only camera I own that works for infrared shooting, and I just bought two new IR filters for it to get some different effects.  If I hadn't bought the M10, I'd still be using the M8.2 for everything (warts and all!!!).  Thanks for the reminder.......  (My only complaint is that my favorite image editor, DxO PhotoLab4 doesn't have the digital info it needs before it will open my DNG images, so I use Adobe's converter to convert them to TIFF.)

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Artin said:

I never had an M8, I was not interested in a crop sensor at all.

At the time the M8 came out, Leica didn't know how to make it work with a full-size sensor.  They made much larger mistakes too - and Ken Rockwell wrote an article on it (which seems to have vanished) that tore it to pieces - he hated it.  Me?  It was a Leica, it was digital, and eventually I had to buy one.  Roberts Imaging found an open box sale on an M8.2 a few weeks before the M9 came out.  They offered to take it back for an M9, but by then I loved the M8.2 too much to ever get rid of it.

My pattern repeated - I wanted an M10, couldn't afford one, and finally got a good price on a new-warranty "open box sale" on an M10 when a newer model came out.  I guess I'm always behind the curve......     But my M8.2 is reasonably quiet, captures nice colors, and did everything I needed it to do.  Most people back then had no idea what it even was.  I agree my M10 is more practical, more powerful, and "better" in most ways, and "feels" like a Leica, not bloated, which is like saying a Ferrari is better than my Mazda MX-5, but not better for me.  

My favorite three cameras as of today are my Leica M10, my Leica M8.2, and my Nikon DF.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It would have to be the M9. Although the M10-D and M10-R got me very close to buying a new digital M, but couldn't quite convince me. (As yet.)

All of this is personal commentary. I understand and appreciate we all have different thoughts and views. That is the beauty of the world and what keeps things interesting.

I do like shooting with a rangefinder camera as I think the conscious act of placing focus manually and framing with fixed focal lengths is good discipline. It's a great way to shoot. I still shoot film and digital. I have the means to purchase a new digital M, but haven’t felt compelled to do so since the M9.

I shot with the M9 for 10 years. Despite the ISO limitations and the camera body being ‘fat’ I liked the output from the CCD sensor. The camera felt very portable and capable of producing fantastic images for its size. I wasn't pushed over the edge to buy a CMOS based digital M for a few reasons.

While I have a need for a digital camera and digital is hugely practical in a variety of situations, I don’t find the aesthetic produced by CMOS sensors appealing. ‘Beautiful’ is not a word I would use to describe it. ‘Sufficient’ or ‘acceptable’ maybe? I reluctantly purchase new digital cameras because needs dictate, rather than actually desiring one.

(I know CCD vs CMOS has been discussed ad nauseam. I think it goes beyond color and is more to do with the way signals from the sensors are processed. It looks like there’s a clearer / purer signal coming from CCD and less processing going on. I’m not a technical expert and struggle to put it into words. But that’s what it feels like I’m seeing in regard to the purity and clarity of CCD images. I understand the manufacturers shift to CMOS and the benefits it provides in terms of power consumption etc, but it's not without compromise. In terms of fidelity at base ISO nothing digital compares to the brilliance of a CCD image. At least to my eyes thus far.)

The rest are small points, but further pushed me away from purchase of a new digital M.

In comparison to the analog M bodies, the CMOS digital M cameras don’t look right with the missing frame line illuminator window and giant screw in the top plate. The design looks unbalanced. I also prefer the naturally illuminated frame lines over LEDs in the viewfinder. Natural light is kinder to the eye and LEDs feel somewhat intrusive and obnoxious in an OVF.

When placed next to an analog body like the MP or M3, the M10 body looks far too tall. Once noticed this is very hard to un-see. (Perhaps more of an issue for dual users of film and digital.)

The current pricing of the digital M bodies also dissuades me. I don’t consider them an attractive value proposition at current price points. Especially when finding the CMOS aesthetic unappealing and considering the rapid obsolescence and depreciation of digital technology.

I’m sure some will be quick to point out Leica cameras have always been expensive. I’m aware of that. Personally, the current iterations of the digital M aren’t quite appealing enough for a camera that is more of an emotional purchase rather than a purely practical one.

For the moment I’m back to less expensive mirrorless cameras for digital needs and analog M cameras (among others) for film.

I remain interested to see what comes next and loosely follow some of the news and discussions. I would consider another digital M if appealing enough and priced appropriately, as I do like shooting with a rangefinder.

Edited by J12
typo

What a lot of interesting replies

I’ve been lucky enough to spend time with all the ‘series’ M cameras except the M8.2. 

In terms of favourites, I fell very much in love with the M10-D, but in reality I think the M10-R is the perfect combination of image quality and practicality, but I also have a soft spot for the M9 Monochrom because it was such a brave and fantastic leap in the dark (I still have mine). 

Least loved? Unfairly I think but it has to be the M(240), but only because it was too thick!

All the best 

Jono

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jonoslack said:

What a lot of interesting replies

I’ve been lucky enough to spend time with all the ‘series’ M cameras except the M8.2. 

In terms of favourites, I fell very much in love with the M10-D, but in reality I think the M10-R is the perfect combination of image quality and practicality, but I also have a soft spot for the M9 Monochrom because it was such a brave and fantastic leap in the dark (I still have mine). 

Least loved? Unfairly I think but it has to be the M(240), but only because it was too thick!

All the best 

Jono

My two digital M cameras - M9 Monochrom (Henri), which I thought was daft, till I played with your China DNG files (I think I’ve forgiven you now, Jono); and the M10-D.  In a fit of rage over the M9 corrosion fiasco, I bought the M-A on the basis there was less to go wrong with it.  B&W digital, rare silver chrome; colour digital, black chrome; and purely mechanical, in black paint - perfect, and not a red dot in sight!

No plans for an M10-R or M11.

• Like 1

When digital cameras came up it looked like we would not see a digital Leica M.

Finally Epson came up with the rd1. So this is the winner for me because it proved that it was possible!

I think the M9 was a sweat model with its ccd sensor, and going to FF and not needing IRUV filters. But I am happy that todays M models are much more capable in regards of higher ISO and more neutral color.

I really like my M10r. I never hated any of the digital M models.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Artin said:

Jono I am surprised your least favourite was the M240?  In my opinion I thought the M240 was an incredible leap forward for the M .... A feature packed M body with a very good sensor (for its time ) clean and innovative , first foray into the ability to use R lenses .. and it falls off the cliff for a mere 4mm thickness? 

For me I prefer  Hefty Camera Body.  that's why my favourite M of all time was the M5 

Hi Artin

Well, I said it was unfair, but I did say least loved (doesn't mean unloved!)

best

I like M-D 262 the best because it has ISO dial on the back and no thumb rest lever.  

I have used M9, M Monochrom, M240, M246, M-D 262, M10, M10-P and M10 Monochrom.

M Monochrom cameras provide the best image quality and M-D provides the fastest shooting experience.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, darylgo said:

A reasonable assumption, or perhaps high demand for M digital bodies and production limits.  Leica (the company) is difficult to understand, the recent elimination of 18mm and 24mm lenses continues to be a mystery.   

Agree, i simply don't get the elimination 18mm - it's one of my faves 

I have tried most Leica M. The 240 was probably the least fave. To bulky to my taste 

• M8 (still here)
  • M9-P (still here - Will never go away)
  • M10-P (still here)
  • M10-M (still here - magic)
  • M10-R BP using 95% og the time with the summilux 28mm

The M10-R is my fave. I fell it takes all the good form all M's and put it in to one body. I still think I should get a M10-D and regret i never got one.