Favorite lens with your CL?

26 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Don’t use electronic shutter. Because you can get banding (depending on LED light used in the room), more noise (in dim environment) and jello effect with longer focal length (>50mm) 

Not to contradict you but i have got none of those effects so far so i use electronic shutter most of the time on the digital CL. Ready to switch it off in case of LED light though. YMMV.

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Don’t use electronic shutter. Because you can get banding (depending on LED light used in the room), more noise (in dim environment) and jello effect with longer focal length (>50mm) 

That's unnecessarily didactic. You only get banding in certain artificial lights, I've never noticed more noise in low light, and if by jello effect you mean movement distortion - well, it only occurs with certain movements. Shooting birds on sticks outdoors would encounter none of these phenomena. 

• Thanks 1

I don’t shoot bird. I was very happy about electronic shutter. Silence is awesome. But then I did encounter all those problems at one point. Photos were not salvageable. 

So I stopped using it completely. Except if I really need the silence, and only after few tests shots to control the output.

You will also noticed worst high ISO performance. I can use mechanical shutter until 25K ISO. But I will stop at 6400 with electronic.

I also got jello effect with a toddler at 90mm equivalent. A toddler is moving fast, but it is not Usain Bolt. `

In the end I like the shutter sound, silenced one is troubling. Did I taken the picture ?

Do whatever you like, I just don’t like unpredictable behaviour.  Mechanical work 100% of time. Electronic will work most of the time. But in certain environment, it will totally failed. 

28 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I don’t shoot bird. I was very happy about electronic shutter. Silence is awesome. But then I did encounter all those problems at one point. Photos were not salvageable. 

So I stopped using it completely. Except if I really need the silence, and only after few tests shots to control the output.

You will also noticed worst high ISO performance. I can use mechanical shutter until 25K ISO. But I will stop at 6400 with electronic.

I also got jello effect with a toddler at 90mm equivalent. A toddler is moving fast, but it is not Usain Bolt. `

In the end I like the shutter sound, silenced one is troubling. Did I taken the picture ?

Do whatever you like, I just don’t like unpredictable behaviour.  Mechanical work 100% of time. Electronic will work most of the time. But in certain environment, it will totally failed. 

Giving examples of where you've had problems is far more useful advice than "Don't use electronic shutter"!

• Like 1

It is probably a sensor meltdown. ;) :lol: 
He means distortion by shutter travel. Which is not limited to electronic shutters, but known for over a century.

By Bundesarchiv, Bild 183-1991-1209-503 / CC-BY-SA 3.0, CC BY-SA 3.0 de

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Mechanical work 100% of time. Electronic will work most of the time. But in certain environment, it will totally failed. 

While I do agree with your sentiments, you do realize we are talking about an electronic camera, right?

🧐 I do not understand your answer. 
CL is an electro- mechanical camera. Just like most cameras since the invention of self metering sensor, motored film advancement or electronically controlled shutter. 

Having a digital sensor instead of film does not change the way a camera work for decades. 

Only few cameras are purely electronic. I just recalled the Sigma fp. Maybe another one ? Not sure. 
Otherwise, every cameras, digital or analog still have mechanical parts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here. First Leica was IIIb, 1960; then in 1960s M2s with 35mm f2.0 Summicron, 50mm DR f2.0 Summicron, 90mm f2.0 Summicron,

135mm Hector.

90mm f2.8 tele-Elamarit, 280mm Telyt, and 400mm Telyt. When NIKON F came out in1960s got it with 50mm f1.4, 105mm, 55mm MicroNikkor,

105mm MicroNikkor, and 200mm Nikkor. With TXBOO 14024 Leica tube my 400mm Telyt  equivalent to 600mm lens. Great for

ocean shooting of yacht and boating races. With Leica & NIKON bellows extension what is there more to say.

Last Year my family presented me with CL with Vario lenses, including 35mm f1.4. The M2s are now lovingly in display case.

Thanks to Leica's system thinking  in addition I obtained adapters to put my M2 lenses and NIKON lenses on CL, doubling of 

course the effective size. With NIKON UV filter on 50mm f1.4 Nikkor I have been shooting with an effective 80mm f1.4 glass

and the scenes' enhancements especially snapping  in the clouds have been as satisfying . The Nikon f1.4 on CL has been my go-to

lens for most shooting but Leica 35mm F1.4 for dusk and in doors. The availability of perfect F1.4 NIKKOR lenses from Japan

should be considered.

I am overjoyed to have found this site of like, or may I say LEICA-minded, compatriots. Thank you for inviting me in.

Best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Topos said:

Newbie here. First Leica was IIIb, 1960; then in 1960s M2s with 35mm f2.0 Summicron, 50mm DR f2.0 Summicron, 90mm f2.0 Summicron,

135mm Hector.

90mm f2.8 tele-Elamarit, 280mm Telyt, and 400mm Telyt. When NIKON F came out in1960s got it with 50mm f1.4, 105mm, 55mm MicroNikkor,

105mm MicroNikkor, and 200mm Nikkor. With TXBOO 14024 Leica tube my 400mm Telyt  equivalent to 600mm lens. Great for

ocean shooting of yacht and boating races. With Leica & NIKON bellows extension what is there more to say.

Last Year my family presented me with CL with Vario lenses, including 35mm f1.4. The M2s are now lovingly in display case.

Thanks to Leica's system thinking  in addition I obtained adapters to put my M2 lenses and NIKON lenses on CL, doubling of 

course the effective size. With NIKON UV filter on 50mm f1.4 Nikkor I have been shooting with an effective 80mm f1.4 glass

and the scenes' enhancements especially snapping  in the clouds have been as satisfying . The Nikon f1.4 on CL has been my go-to

lens for most shooting but Leica 35mm F1.4 for dusk and in doors. The availability of perfect F1.4 NIKKOR lenses from Japan

should be considered.

I am overjoyed to have found this site of like, or may I say LEICA-minded, compatriots. Thank you for inviting me in.

Best.

Hello and welcome Topos, look forward to seeing what you have been capturing with your CL and your 50mm Nikkor, you are in good company and should check out Louis who shares some amazing images from that lens on both CL and T, to be found in the image threads here.

Edited by Boojay

Boo jay is a great code name! Thank you for welcoming. Please tell me how I may upload photos directly without some noisome intermediary site.

Yesterday I tested  my just acquired 200 f2.8 Nikkor  .... equivalent to 300mm on CL hand held ... and captured  at 20 yards  from porch height 

flow and boulder  groupings. My main shooting since my Dad allowed me in 1943 to take my first camera shot with his box camera was the ocean

scenes from our front home ... yachts, sunrises, people walking along beaches, ships entering harbor. B&W of dusk and first sunrises over islands.

Discovering Leicas in 1963 gave me an extension of my vision that was as heady as those poor souls who described the artificial highs they

got from drugs. I chuckle to have realized that shiny lenses, metal mechanical devices, and seeing the magnificent world around us through

a view finder was my 'drug-of-choice'. And with my 90mm f 2.0  SUMMICRON  on my M2 I did enjoyed 'bird shooting' ... lovely young ladies 

in Boston in the era of mini-skirts.  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Topos said:

Boo jay is a great code name! Thank you for welcoming. Please tell me how I may upload photos directly without some noisome intermediary site.

Yesterday I tested  my just acquired 200 f2.8 Nikkor  .... equivalent to 300mm on CL hand held ... and captured  at 20 yards  from porch height 

flow and boulder  groupings. My main shooting since my Dad allowed me in 1943 to take my first camera shot with his box camera was the ocean

scenes from our front home ... yachts, sunrises, people walking along beaches, ships entering harbor. B&W of dusk and first sunrises over islands.

Discovering Leicas in 1963 gave me an extension of my vision that was as heady as those poor souls who described the artificial highs they

got from drugs. I chuckle to have realized that shiny lenses, metal mechanical devices, and seeing the magnificent world around us through

a view finder was my 'drug-of-choice'. And with my 90mm f 2.0  SUMMICRON  on my M2 I did enjoyed 'bird shooting' ... lovely young ladies 

in Boston in the era of mini-skirts.  :)

Crikey, I love your less than politically correct (in these sad times) description of Bird Shooting🤣!

Boo jay just shows a total lack of imagination on my part - Boo, first three letters of surname, Jay first three letters of christian name - Jayne to you.

As Jaap says instructions at top of the page, if you can't follow them just ask, lots of lovely people here who will be only too happy to help.  If you use Lightroom CC which so many of us do these days - export settings work well like this if you are on the lower level of resolution, just change the file size quality limit if a member.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Boojay

• 3 months later...

After ordering my CL earlier this year I bought a Voigtlander Nokton Classic 35/1.4 to give me something close to a standard field-of-view lens. It produces very good results so to answer the topic of this thread I would have to say this has become my favourite lens on the CL.

The CL itself is a bit quirky and small to hold in terms of use - hard to beat an SLR I guess.

Edited by Mr.Prime