Favorite film of all time

tobey bilek

Advertisement (gone after registration)

is/was Plus X Pan.  I need to test an M3 for possible light leaks and was digging through some old frozen film.  I found a bag of + X  I spooled in 2008.  Been frozen ever since.and can not be bought any more.  You think it is any good?

I did find some TMax 100 10 years frozen and it seems fine. 

Plus X has a tonal scale that is realistic , not contrasty, not excessive grain.  The only stuff I ever found that would print on normal grade paper and scan perfectly on my Minolta scanner.

• Like 1

It should be fine to use even after 15 years (frozen). Pure silver films tend to have very long usable life spans, reasonably stored. Even the silver in color films will last - it is the organic ("food-like") dyes and dye couplers that decay. The silver metal stays functional much longer (except in a few cases - Ilford Pan F+ apparently has a limited latent-image lifespan once exposed - process it ASAP)

I can't say Plus-X in its various iterations (Regular PX, Pro PXP) ever thrilled me that much during its lifetime - too much of a jack-of-all-trades, and master of neither high ISO nor fine grain. I preferred faster films mostly (TX, HP5), or the finest-grain films (Panatomic X) when fine grain was important. Or PX's "cheaper cousin," Verichrome Pan - because it was cheap and had extreme latitude (made for box-cameras with very limited shutter/aperture ranges, often defined as "Sunny, Cloudy, Shade" symbols ;) ).

Except in Pro-grade medium format, which made any grain less obvious (less enlargement), and with f/3.5-5.6 lenses that often needed to be shot at f/8-11 for best corner-to-corner sharpness, low-light capability was not in the cards anyway. It was a great "one camera, one film" option in a Yashica D in daylight.

At this point in MF I use one of the following: T-Max 400 (finer grain than Plus-X, but less latitude), Ilford FP4+ (very good latitude, moderate grain), and am trying out Kentmere 100 now that it is made in 120 (and like Verichrome, is about half the price of FP4+ or Kodak's entries).

On 7/12/2023 at 6:42 PM, tobey bilek said:

is/was Plus X Pan.  I need to test an M3 for possible light leaks and was digging through some old frozen film.  I found a bag of + X  I spooled in 2008.  Been frozen ever since.and can not be bought any more.  You think it is any good?

I did find some TMax 100 10 years frozen and it seems fine. 

Plus X has a tonal scale that is realistic , not contrasty, not excessive grain.  The only stuff I ever found that would print on normal grade paper and scan perfectly on my Minolta scanner.

Toby,

I am currently using KH - the cinematography version of Plus-X.  I bought several hundred feet of it some years ago and load it into Filca or Ixmoo cassettes, and develop in FX-39ii.  It is rated at 80 ASA in daylight, but my personal ISO for it is only 50.  It is working very well despite being in store for may years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/14/2023 at 12:23 PM, Steve Ricoh said:

That’s good to know, I like grain.

Not my best picture. But it shows well how not-so-grainy and sharp Kentmere 400, aka Agfa APX 400, aka Rollei RPX 400, in Xtol is. Pretty good high-speed film. Can be found under 6 Euros. 

35mm Nokton 1,4 SC VS2, click to enlarge.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

In the distant past (before I wandered for too mamy years in the digital desert) I was a 35mm SLR shooter and it was colour slide film for me, the one and only Kodachrome 64. And some Ilford Pan F too.

A brief respite from the desert with a Rolleiflex 6x6 and it was Fujichrome 100 slide film, but the escape was too brief.

Now that I’m back in the lush world of analogue for the past few years I’ve not returned to slide film due to concerns over it’s availability. Now, I’m developing (!) a love of FP4+ and HP5+.

I’m going to use more Portra to see where that takes me. Always stayed away from colour neg film (difficult to ensure colour accuracy) but I now use a hybrid workflow and I’m more comfortable with the exposure latitude of neg film in general when using an M.

Edited by Mr.Prime
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Panatomic-X and Plus-X, my all around favourites. 

Today, because price, I have been shooting a lot of Fomapan 100. Now and then I get a few rolls of Kentmere 400 for difficult light. And becauae of the fun of enlarging, Adox HR-50, Ferrania P-30 and Rollei 25.

• 2 months later...