When will S3 be available? {merged}

ZHNL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

The long exposure limit in the SL2 is 30 minutes as well, which is great. I was at the event today and spent some time talking to people. I am not sure how on the record it was, so I will not give out names etc, but the sense was what Jan said. They were not satisfied with some aspects, and they wanted to fix them. But they are doing it, and they also indicated that there would be upgrade options for current owners. No specifics, but it sounded nice. The SL2 seems quite good too. Not available yet, but on the 21st I think they said. An u

An upgrade option has been mentioned several times and is, for obvious reason, of interest for many S-shooters. It could also entrain new S-users, and by that increase the total volume of users.

Actually, Leica Wetzlar sells refurbished M9s (with new sensor and in 'all' colours) for a reasonable price tag. Perhaps Leica plans something similar, albeit dtricktly in black, I presume, for the 'exchanged' S-bodies?

https://www.slack.co.uk/m9-for-ccd-lovers.html

Edited by helged

Well, there is some interview piece show up in the Leica rumors mentioned S3.
Looks like the delay was not due to trying to improve the camera further but purely solve some issues. (Sensor?)  

Getting a better hardware will unlikely happen for S3. 

44 minutes ago, ZHNL said:

Well, there is some interview piece show up in the Leica rumors mentioned S3.
Looks like the delay was not due to trying to improve the camera further but purely solve some issues. (Sensor?)  

Getting a better hardware will unlikely happen for S3. 

Looks that way.  Stefan Daniel and Matt Granger...

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good to know that they are fixing issues before the camera is released. They would have been drawn and quartered (figuratively) if they had released an incomplete camera.

That being said, I'm not sure this rules-out surprises, like a Maestro III processor. Stefan Daniel knows what he can and can not reveal in interviews.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

11 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Good to know that they are fixing issues before the camera is released. They would have been drawn and quartered (figuratively) if they had released an incomplete camera.

That being said, I'm not sure this rules-out surprises, like a Maestro III processor. Stefan Daniel knows what he can and can not reveal in interviews.

Wouldn’t mind surprise :) finger crossed. 

11 minutes ago, BernardC said:

Agreed.  And, coincidentally, maybe the problem they discovered is that it had a slow Maestro II processor.  :)

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

With no proof whatsoever, only wild speculation, I wonder what the consequences may be of the SL2 technology leapfrogging what had been announced for the S3.

Very different market segments and I think it important to keep in mind how much of the market the S system has in comparison to the other systems. Tiny . 

Release when the current announced S3 design and firmware is finalised..... or start again? I would have thought the hardware is finalised by now, with firmware refinement ongoing.

I  still recall the reactions in the room, when Stefan Daniel announced the cancellation of the R10.

My S (Typ 007) is easily my most used Leica while I have the excellent SL as well. I have ordered the SL2, trading in my SL. If the S3 gets to market as shown when they are ready, it would need to be a compelling deal for ME.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Probably same reason the decide to go back to naming the current M to M10. I actually don’t know what the exact reason was for Leica but it is a more traditional and logical way to name the camera models

Apparently they wanted to get away from the numbers and just call it the "M" and the "S", but of course then no one had any way to differentiate the older and newer models, so everyone started calling them by their factory designations (Typ 240, S006, S007 etc), and it became even more confusing, so they abandoned it and went back to the numbered designations.

An unexpected benefit of going back to the numbered designations is now on Instagram the hashtags will make more sense. Keying in and searching for #LeicaS3 #LeicaSL2 #LeicaM10 etc. has made finding Leica photographers' work while using those cameras (minus the S3, of course) a lot easier and more enjoyable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rickgrainger said:

An unexpected benefit of going back to the numbered designations is now on Instagram the hashtags will make more sense. Keying in and searching for #LeicaS3 #LeicaSL2 #LeicaM10 etc. has made finding Leica photographers' work while using those cameras (minus the S3, of course) a lot easier and more enjoyable.

Still, #LeicaS always retrieves family portraits of plural cameras!

Edited by alan.y
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

well, some companies apologize sweetly when their products are delayed ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 11/6/2019 at 8:05 AM, Jan1985 said:

Today I got a message of an ex-employee of Leica. He still is there every week. He told me that the developers are not really satisfied with some special parts of the upcoming S3. They will improve them further until they would be "Perfect". And that's the reason for the delay. I can only assume that one big reason is the sensor.

I think I disagree that the delay would be the sensor.  They have vetted the 4.3u pixel size on the CL, Q2 and now the SL2.  I think more likely it is the programming or the autofocus routine through the mirror.  We saw significant advances in the focusing points through the SL2.   The other area might be color tuning.  The S007 has 15 stops dynamic range, S3 listed as more, so have to tune things in the higher ISO’s.

Just my thoughts..

• Like 1