Silly strap

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Actually I just pull a strap from my filled-to-the-brim shoe-box  ;)

All my lightweight straps have already been allocated to my collection of Barnack cameras, all of whose older straps had died or were on their last legs. The old neck strap broke at the rivet on my Reid and Sigrist Model III and very luckily, it dropped onto my foot and was not damaged. I learnt my lesson. I have plenty of other straps in my strap bag but they are all too heavy for the CL. I have a Dead Cameras strap on my film CL. It is a nicely made strap but again the leather is disappointingly stiff and hard. For leather or part leather straps, I find it difficult to beat Luigi Crescenzi. His Italian leather is lovely, soft and very supple, even when new. As long as you treat it regularly with leather food, it just gets better with age. 

I think the strap supplied with the new CL is made from what in the saddlery trade is called "Indian" leather. It starts off hard and not supple, does not really improve with age or treatment and eventually cracks. I presume it is made from older cattle, with thicker, coarser and less supple skin. It is then tanned cheaply, as it is never going to sell for much. When I used to buy reins and bridles for my daughter's horses (she buys her own now), "Indian" leather reins were less than a third of the price of good quality ones, made from British, American or Canadian leather but purchasing the cheap ones was a false economy, as they did not last long at all. 

Wilson

I have fitted the Artist and Artisan polyester rope type neck strap. It is much more comfortable, especially when wrapped round my hand. What is noticeable is how much better quality split rings the A&A strap has, than the rather lightweight and flimsy items on the Leica strap. I have put the Leica strap on my IIf, which was strapless. It sees very little use, as my IIIg and Reid & Sigrist III, both have noticeably better range/viewfinders and as it is in unused condition, it would be pity to spoil that. 

Wilson

All my lightweight straps have already been allocated to my collection of Barnack cameras, all of whose older straps had died or were on their last legs. The old neck strap broke at the rivet on my Reid and Sigrist Model III and very luckily, it dropped onto my foot and was not damaged. I learnt my lesson. I have plenty of other straps in my strap bag but they are all too heavy for the CL. I have a Dead Cameras strap on my film CL. It is a nicely made strap but again the leather is disappointingly stiff and hard. For leather or part leather straps, I find it difficult to beat Luigi Crescenzi. His Italian leather is lovely, soft and very supple, even when new. As long as you treat it regularly with leather food, it just gets better with age. 

I think the strap supplied with the new CL is made from what in the saddlery trade is called "Indian" leather. It starts off hard and not supple, does not really improve with age or treatment and eventually cracks. I presume it is made from older cattle, with thicker, coarser and less supple skin. It is then tanned cheaply, as it is never going to sell for much. When I used to buy reins and bridles for my daughter's horses (she buys her own now), "Indian" leather reins were less than a third of the price of good quality ones, made from British, American or Canadian leather but purchasing the cheap ones was a false economy, as they did not last long at all. 

Wilson

I chose the old-type Leica strap, webbing and rubber with D rings. I've got plenty of them lying around anyway ;)

[...] I think the strap supplied with the new CL is made from what in the saddlery trade is called "Indian" leather. It starts off hard and not supple, does not really improve with age or treatment and eventually cracks. [...]

Used some beeswax when stretching mine as usual. The strap lost its stiffness in good part but it smells more like a car tyre from Indianapolis to be honest :D

• 1 month later...

I find the supplied strap the wrong length for my wrist, Can't get it to adjust right. It's too short for my neck - I like to wrap a camera under my coat and holster the camera under my arm. It wouldn't have been a bad idea to make it a bit longer and include a beautiful buckle and a leather sleeve/ cover. 

The second Leica leather strap I got with my replacement CL has gone onto my recently acquired Leica Ig, which saves me buying a strap for that. After using the Artist and Artisan rope strap for a three week plus trip to the Caribbean and New Orleans, I am delighted with my choice. Perfect both as a neck and wrist strap for the lightweight CL. I think it looks good as well. 

Wilson

PS when I was buying the A&A strap, I was a bit undecided about the synthetic rope or the considerably more expensive natural silk. Whereas the natural silk might be even nicer as a wrist strap, I feel it might be a bit slippery to use as a shoulder strap, which is often how I carry my cameras. The synthetic is quite high friction, so does not slide off a shoulder. W. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have ordered an Artist and Artisan rope strap. I balked a bit at the cost of a silk one, although I am sure they are lovely and have gone for the polyester. Penny wise - pound foolish? We will see when it arrives. My friend Jack the Hat has them both in stock. If I don't like it, I can always exchange it for the more expensive braided silk version. 

Wilson

I discovered Jack the Hat when getting A&A wrist-strap. Delivered within 24hrs of ordering – excellent customer service. I did try the silk shoulder strap in a London dealer's but if my memory is accurate found it a bit 'bouncy', ie too elastic. So happy to revert to the acrylic A&A, where the rings are protected by soft leather slips to prevent rubbing against the camera. (Some find these too short, I should add.)

I'm a big fan of A&A.  When I sold the M240 I had a silk rope strap left over and have put it on the CL.  Works well for me.  Also, have recently bought a used A&A GCAM-7200 bag (now discontinued I believe) which is a good  bag for a CL kit. 

• Like 1

It seemed too small for a full neck strap for me, so I just use a wrist strap.

I bought the cheapest A&A wrist strap. Its flat and soft material and is also the most comfortable

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!