Original leather strap tear apart

cornelbrad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi to all, a possible problem for the one of us using the original leather strap from M11: mine tears apart without any pressure applied on it, it looks like the material had a weak quality. I was lucky to catch the camera before to hit the ground. If you will consider, you better check or change it.

IMG_9337 2.HEIC IMG_9334.HEIC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 3:42 PM, M9reno said:

Could you please upload these images?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2024 at 4:07 AM, Knightspirit said:

Yikes - thanks for the heads up - I’m currently using the same strap ! Let’s hope it was a one off problem having more to do with the particular cow whose hide was used for that one…

I definitely not recommend to use this type of strap. Remembering the moment I catch the camera gives me shivers. Pure luck for me. 

Posted (edited)

Yah, I had the same happen with the visually-identical M10 "thin-leather" strap. The O-ring entry-slits tend to chew up the strap material where it goes through the ring and the ironically-named "camera protection pad."

(I was not able to catch my camera! The first I knew of the strap failure was when the torn end whacked my ear on its way past. Fortunately my 75 Nokton f/1.5 took the brunt of the impact on cement (and took it like a champ - just needed a little straightening of the bent filter ring, plus prying to loosen the slightly-dented/jammed aperture ring - worked perfectly ever since.)

I immediately tracked down some of the slightly older (M typ 240? M9?) straps as shown in the links below - tougher woven nylon web, with the LEICA logo on a molded-in rubber shoulder pad, and a "D" or "O"-ring that has a sliding lock - and no sharp edges to damage the strap.

But they will require some way to protect the black M10/11 camera finishes from rub marks (tape the camera top plate ends?) The M9/M typ 240 came with built-in plastic rub pads on the bodies - shame on Leica for abandoning that much more elegant attachment system (in the engineering sense).

Seem to be two similar Leica products. 14312 and/or 14253.

https://www.keh.com/leica-14312-carrying-srap-231044.html?aid=230820-2621977&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Leica&utm_term=230820-2621977&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuvbgxLaDhQMVPS-tBh38cgOkEAQYASABEgK7r_D_BwE

https://www.keh.com/leica-m-fiber-blk-14253-219932.html?aid=230819-757805&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=Leica&utm_term=230819-757805&gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7sH3qbODhQMVqy-tBh2vUQLTEAQYAyABEgKXWfD_BwE

Edited by adan

Posted (edited)

In order to prevent disaster, I went looking for a better strap. I ordered an Oberwerth strap type Mosel, small / black with red stitching. What triggered me was "The Mosel straps are reinforced with an internal metal wire and a special technical textile to ensure maximum cut protection"

It arrived in the meantime, it is even nicer than expected.

Edited by Edax
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 10:59 PM, Edax said:

In order to prevent disaster, I went looking for a better strap. I ordered an Oberwerth strap type Mosel, small / black with red stitching. What triggered me was "The Mosel straps are reinforced with an internal metal wire and a special technical textile to ensure maximum cut protection"

It arrived in the meantime, it is even nicer than expected.

The cut protection means you will be dragged across the tarmac in a moped snatch. 

I never understand the logic in using anything other than the nylon straps which have been supplied by Leica for decades. Strong, not subject to undue wear and I've never known one to fail. The camera is expensive, the strong nylon strap is not and it does what it is supposed to do effectively and reliably. I do not use, and never have, leather straps, and probably never will.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, pgk said:

I never understand the logic in using anything other than the nylon straps which have been supplied by Leica for decades. Strong, not subject to undue wear and I've never known one to fail. The camera is expensive, the strong nylon strap is not and it does what it is supposed to do effectively and reliably. I do not use, and never have, leather straps, and probably never will.

Unfortunately this is now Leica logic - they no longer supply those nylon straps (like the 14312 above) either with the cameras or even as optional accessories. I guess they just don't fit with the brand image these days. Which is a pity because, in combination with the rub protectors they began fitting to the later M6 Classic bodies (but dropped after the M7), they had a nice, flexible, easy to fit but secure system that doesn't damage the top plate.

Edited by Anbaric
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Unfortunately this is now Leica logic - they no longer supply those nylon straps (like the 14312 above) .....

Ouch. Ebay prices!

Matter of tastes i guess. I don't dislike nylon straps per se and the buckles of the 14312 are well designed but its anti-slip pad doesn't feel comfortable on my neck. YMMV.

Posted (edited)

I like the Leica 14312 strap, and, the Peak Design anchor system. I used a Leica Strap 14312 on a light-weight SLR, long before I started using Leica cameras. Notably, the Leica Strap 14312 evolved, over time, while using the same model number. The differences I have noticed are the width and shape of the rubber-like pad.

As good farmers and ranchers know to constantly inspect their fences, we should inspect our equipment straps. Long before I was a Leica camera user, I was using high-quality binoculars, while near and on bodies of water. Water, especially muddy and/or salty water, is a harsh teacher. (And, yes, I kept a horse, and some poultry, in my youth, on my parents’ several acres; therefore the fence part, though I do not claim to have been a rancher, and certainly not a “cowboy.”)

As jaapv already wisely stated, the Peak Design anchors have wear indicators. When any color other than black begins to show, in the cordage part, serious wear has occurred. 

Edited to add: Here is a tutorial, on how to expediently thread Peak Design anchor cordage through the eyelets on a Leica strap lug:

Edited by RexGig0
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I prefer this type of strap, it is soft, does not cut your neck, you do not need to worry about twisting, it also stretches slightly, and can be quickly applied to your hand if necessary.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Smogg
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, lct said:

Perhaps some dealers have new old stock, but I believe it was discontinued some time ago. In 2022 it was already hard to find one in London. I don't think you'll a new one at the normal price from any online shop.

Edited by Anbaric