Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Thank you so much for your kind and encouraging words!

Dear Zampelis,

how do you manage your flashlight ?

It looks like a lot of your pictures are beautifull because of the way you manage light.

Can you share ?

• Like 1

Dear Zampelis,

how do you manage your flashlight ?

It looks like a lot of your pictures are beautifull because of the way you manage light.

Can you share ?

Hello Bill,

Thank you for your comment. I use a piece of paper glued with some blutak as a diffuser on an ex-bicycle cheap flashlight. I am not using it on most of the photos, but when I use it on some (e.g. the poppy stem, ladybug and posts 888 and 890) I try for the result to be very subtle. I tend to hold it with my left hand and take the shot with the right, and experiment with the distance of the light by reviewing the result on the screen.

I am also doing manual white balancing every time I am shooting a flower using a white balancing card.

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 1

Bravo, Dimitris, for a terrific photo and for sharing your secrets so generously. I received my macro attachments today and take as inspiration your fantastic work!

Thank you Ken! I am looking forward for your macros with your macro attachments! I hope there are still lots of flowers in your garden!

Zampelis, you have more interesting bugs! :-)

Great job!

Thank you so much for the kind words Dan! Quite a lot of them around! They are desperate for a photo, I am just helping them ;)

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 1

Dimitris, Imitation is the greatest form of flattery! I'm after you!. :-)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7

A couple more.

• Like 6

Great shot Dan! I love your white balance, such fabulous colours and also so sharp! Did you use flash on this one?

I did. I used my Canon EX-14 ring flash, a tripod and the Hoya 10X screw on filter. I had to use everything just to get in the same room as you. I LOVE your images. :-)

• Like 1

paxtaru -

You are permitted to post much larger images than that - Up to 1280 pixels on the longer side, and up to 500 kb file size.

I think maybe I used the wrong tool/link...?  I uploaded it to the gallery here (quite a bit larger resolution, I think 3000px) and inserted it here via "My Media" link.  I'll try it again next time that I have something to post.

Beautiful flying bug this morning on our screen door. The background is bad, but I didn't want to disturb the little critter. 

• Like 8

A couple more.

Beautiful flying bug this morning on our screen door. The background is bad, but I didn't want to disturb the little critter. 

Amazing shots Dan! So much detail on the body of the bug! Looking forward for more!

Thanks to Dimitris for telling me about these macro lenses!

• Like 7

This is the Sala tree from the legend of the Buddha. His mother held onto a branch when he was born, and he died between two of these trees.  It's great being able to quickly shift into macro mode for a single shot. I've learned to stop down a bit, this f/5.6, and still get nice separation from the background.

42454954355_bdddf85def_b.jpgSala tree flower, Wat Faham, Chiang Mai, Thailand by C. Reid Taylor, on Flickr

Edited by creidtaylor
  • Like 7