Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Zampelis is really excellent !

How do you achieve such stunning results? Please give us a hint! :-)

-tk

soizic, TK! Thank you for the nice words!!

I am not using anything special, just some close up filters and lots and lots of patience! Also remember that the ones I am posting here are just a tiny fraction compared to an enormous amount of failed attempts!

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

soizic, TK! Thank you for the nice words!!

I am not using anything special, just some close up filters and lots and lots of patience! Also remember that the ones I am posting here are just a tiny fraction compared to an enormous amount of failed attempts!

Leaving aside your modesty - I suspect many of us would be pleased to achieve some of your failures - can you give more details of what I assume are close up lenses attached to the filter thread.

A friend of mine new to macro was complaining he couldn’t get everything sharp from front to back. Of course he could have used focus stacking but what your shots demonstrate is the incredible beauty to be gained from NOT getting things sharp from front to back!

• Like 1

Leaving aside your modesty - I suspect many of us would be pleased to achieve some of your failures - can you give more details of what I assume are close up lenses attached to the filter thread.

A friend of mine new to macro was complaining he couldn’t get everything sharp from front to back. Of course he could have used focus stacking but what your shots demonstrate is the incredible beauty to be gained from NOT getting things sharp from front to back!

First of all thanks for your comment HighlandK!

Of course I can give more details. I am using one or two (depending on the occasion) MARUMI +5 achromat lens. Currently I am not using a proper speedlight, but I have a small flashlight and I have used it on some of the most recent photos. I try to shoot single shots instead of bursts, as I feel I have more control. I experiment though with bursts some times and with focus stacking. The yellow flower on the previous page and the second fly are focus stacked from 4-5 shots, I am not very happy with the results though (the body of the fly for example is out of focus)

I am thinking of starting experimenting with reversed lenses and using an extension tube. The problem is that the lens of the Q is already wide and the extension should be even wider, so I am not sure if something like that will work in the end. Currently though I have not done anything on that direction.

DSC_2355.jpg

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 7

I am using one or two (depending on the occasion) MARUMI +5 achromat lens. 

Some years ago when i still had a pentax camera, i bought for small money an older pentax 50mm /1.4 lens and put two canon closeup-lenses on front. I made really funny pics with this combi, without using a special (and expensiv) macro-lens.  ;)

• Like 1

We've had many a thread on this in the X-Vario section, but Zamp is onto it with the Marumi close-ups. I (and others) use the Elpro V1a and V1b lenses, my adapters at present are 43mm (for the X-Vario) and 52mm (for the TL 18-56).

I can see that I need to try them on the Q, I'll do this in the coming week.

Gary

• Like 1

An update to my last, my Elpro is not suitable unfortunately.

I was able to "fit" it with a concoction of adapters, but it is too small a diameter and when it is adapted it sits "too far out", and therefore shows vignetting.

Even without adapters, and simply (temporarily) held at the front of the front element, it is close to showing vignetted corners.

Game over, I'll have to give this some thought and likely try a larger diameter close up lens. T'was a good thought at the time.

Gary

• Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica Q
  • Like 7

At reception at a disappointing restaurant.

• Like 7

At reception at a disappointing restaurant.

Have no idea what this is, but it looks like the same flower.

Experimenting with Macro at Chicago Botanic Gardens yesterday.

• Like 5

Flowers directly beside the road

• Like 9

Golf

Leica Q
  • Like 9