Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

We are staying with friends near Perugia over Xmas, so flying with the hated Ryanair from Satan-sted to Perugia. Ryanair have smaller hand luggage allowance size than the 55 x45 x 25 cm aviation industry standard (so they can charge you for oversize hand luggage) but they now also permit you to take another additional "small bag" up to 35 x 20 x 20 cm max size but are very strict about dimensions. My recently acquired Billingham 225 would fit within this size for any reasonable airline but not with "you won't believe how difficult, pedantic and awkward we can be" Ryanair.  I would have liked to take my SL but was sure it would not fit into my old Billingham M, so reasoned "no hardship I will take my M240 instead". Somewhat to my surprise, if you take off the 24-90 hood, an SL can just be squished into a Billy M. Now mine is pretty old and baggy, so that might not be possible on a new one but it also means I will not be buying a König to protect the SL when on a boat etc, as I can use my old Billy. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Dug out my Holdfast Roamographer ...... was a bit big for the M so has rarely been used ...... but perfect for the SL + 24-90 and a room for a few more lenses and the sort of junk you tend to take on holiday.

Modified the interior inserts .... bag itself is quite light despite being good quality Bison ...... looks nice and rather atypical for a camera bag .....

Belt straps are studded onto the front, and the other ends can be folded back and fixed out of the way ...... meant to be for carrying a tripod underneath if needed - modified and changed so I can remove them completely if i wish.

Opens like a traditional doctors gladstone bag .... which I'm embarrassed to say I have never owned in 37yrs of medical practice ...... I've used a tatty fake leather washbag on visits for the last 2 decades ..... :rolleyes:

attachicon.gifL1101556.jpg

I find the Roamagrapher Small is perfect for an M setup or SL with M lenses, or the SL with just the zoom. I can also fit my MacBook Air 11" perfectly or 13" with a slightly tight fit. LOVE the Roamographer.....

c092b977d6f47ff6bb509ee38cd4950e.jpg

• Like 1

Quite by accident, I discovered that the small ThinkTank Streetwalker (not Streetwalker Pro) is a perfect fit for the SL with hooded 24-90 attached, together with an M240 with lens attached, and six other M lenses.    That package is a lot smaller and lighter than you might think...especially in a pack.   

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/streetwalker

Edited by hydet

My Case Logic hand grip arrived this morning. Well actually I had to go and fetch it, as the Amazon driver spoke no English and was totally lost. I got him to pass his phone over to someone else in the street to tell me where he was and then drove to go and get him. He could not then pass the parcel over until he had followed me back to my house - and for this I pay for Amazon Prime????

The Case Logic hand grip is pretty satisfactory. There is enough space on the body lug for its top strap to pass through with the neck strap still attached. Whether that will still apply when my Luigi leather neck strap arrives, I am less sure. The grip once adjusted is very secure on your hand for single handed operation and makes zooming the big 24-90 easier. Sorry guys - I am going to be keeping it. Only decision now is whether to go for an Arca Swiss plate and Custom Brackets CB Tilt head to use on my carbon Monopod to replace the Manfrotto 234RC2 tilt head, so that I can thread the strap of the hand grip through the Arca plate instead of using its existing bottom fixing into the tripod socket. 

Sorry about the poor photo, trying to hold the SL in one hand and take the photo with the other. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

It is possible to use the Manfrotto PL12/RC2 plate as a bottom strap fixing point, albeit less neatly than an RRS or Arca plate.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Sorry about the poor photo, trying to hold the SL in one hand and take the photo with the other.

Wilson

That bit of extra strap dangling at the back of your hand can tuck into the slot on the surface of the hand-strap. A flat screwdriver helps push it in.

For the extra strap on the bottom, if you tightly squeeze a piece of blutack between the strap and the extra bit, it stops that one dangling too.

And if, like me, you are determined to maintain the aesthetics of the SL, a black permanent marker pen can black-out the bright yellow Case Logic logo on the strap so it visually disappears...

• Like 1

That bit of extra strap dangling at the back of your hand can tuck into the slot on the surface of the hand-strap. A flat screwdriver helps push it in.

For the extra strap on the bottom, if you tightly squeeze a piece of blutack between the strap and the extra bit, it stops that one dangling too.

And if, like me, you are determined to maintain the aesthetics of the SL, a black permanent marker pen can black-out the bright yellow Case Logic logo on the strap so it visually disappears...

I thought of gluing a red dot onto the strap  :) Thanks for the tips on the loose ends, I will do that. 

Afraid that bag just does not match my shoes. :p

However they are super people at Louis Vuitton. We were restoring a 1938 Figoni and Falaschi bodied Delahaye 135MS Competition, which had had the interior originally done by Louis Vuitton for Coco Chanel, the first owner. Some of the brass hinges, door levers and other fittings had broken or worn very badly. We contacted them with photos of the parts needed, expecting to be told to go jump in a lake. They came up with replacements for every single bit, which they had had in stock since the 1930's. What astonished us was that they charged 1930's prices for the parts, saying it was their pleasure. It restores your faith in human nature when something like that happens. They even made a replacement for the tiny red leather football that is on the end of the 4" long lever for the Cotal electrically operated pre-selector gearbox.

What a beautiful car restoration project !

...I found another bag, which fits the SL very good:

the german label Oberwerth has a new model called "Wetzlar", which looks like beeing made for the SL (with Vario-Elmarit-SL):

http://www.oberwerth.com/camera-bag-wetzlar/?_ga=1.214497488.679479836.1446643260

Ive been looking at their bags for a few weeks, but the images on the website are terrible. They are way to tiny.

If they did a better job of describing the bag and had full size images I might have ordered one.

I ordered the Roller Case:

http://channelmodern.com/items/test-case

Admittedly a very expensive bag, but I have several items designed for Leica or similar sized cameras by Fast + Prime, their sister company, and their work is first class, using old world craftsmanship.  I think they are worth it for they will last a lifetime and also very stylish in a masculine way. 

Hien

http://hienhnguyen-photographer.com

http://instagram.com/hhn.photographer

• Like 1

My Peak Design (The Everyday Messenger) just arrived and I am impressed. A well made bag with lots of attention to detail and a throughly thought out design. 

Easily holds the SL, 24-90 Zoom, 50mm Noctilux, 35mm Summilux, 24mm Summilux with room to spare. I also have quite a few accessories in the bag (spare battery, tabletop tripod, charger, SD card case, wifi hotspot, and quite a bit more + a 15" Macbook Pro.

• Like 3

My Peak Design (The Everyday Messenger) just arrived and I am impressed. A well made bag with lots of attention to detail and a throughly thought out design. 

Easily holds the SL, 24-90 Zoom, 50mm Noctilux, 35mm Summilux, 24mm Summilux with room to spare. I also have quite a few accessories in the bag (spare battery, tabletop tripod, charger, SD card case, wifi hotspot, and quite a bit more + a 15" Macbook Pro.

Looks nice.. More pix of the interior?

Looks nice.. More pix of the interior?

Here are some iPhone images. The level of attention to detail is amazing on this bag, I keep discovering more features every time I open it. They really put a lot of thought into the design and clearly understand what a photographer needs.  The inside is infinitely configurable, they have created a new divider design that changes with your needs. This is my current configuration, but I'm sure this will change as I figure out how to exploit the folding dividers better.

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

The dividers fold into multiple configurations. In this setup they form a top so that I have two levels of storage. My M lenses are under the folds and the SL sits on top.

The second image is the front pocket. It zips closed and becomes nearly invisible and flat to the case, or you can leave the top open for quick access. They color coded the pockets red and green so you can use the colors to help you organize. Store batteries and cards on either side (fresh battery on green and dead battery on red or empty media on green and full media on red)

Edited by digitalfx
  • Like 1

The zippers are all water proof and the small attentions to detail are wonderful. The ends slip under a cloth cover so no metal is exposed.

The second image here shows an additional zipper on the top that allows quick access to the entire case without opening the flap.

Edited by digitalfx