What camera bag are you using?

kivis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On travels I often use a 2-bag-combo: To transport - e.g. on the plane - I use a backpack from Thinktankphoto. A Domke F-6 Canvas is stuffed with some padding into my luggage. On location, the backpack stays in the hotel and the Domke holds the subset of lenses and bodies needed.

• Like 1

My most used bag these days is my Wotancraft Pilot 7 liter.  I have a Billingham Hadley Pro that has seen a lot of use but nowadays I lean toward the Pilot 7L.  It does a good job, is not as boxy feeling and is significantly lighter than the Bill Had Pro. 

When I need to carry more gear than the Pilot 7L. can accommodate, I go with my Think Tank Photo Retrospective 7 V2.0.  These are my two most frequently used camera bags.

If I am traveling and want to bring a full kit, I will use my Wandrd Prvke Lite backpack.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Same here, the 7L Pilot is enough for 2 M bodies. I have the 10L, too, but almost never use that one. Usually I have only 1 M and a few lenses with me, so there is still a bit space left for other stuff.

Another vote for the Wotancraft Pilot 7 liter, outstanding bag with amazing customization options due to the add on components, thought through to the last detail. And also very light, without inserts and add ons it is just 0,7 kg.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 minutes ago, Deejaybeephoto said:

Donkey F10

Is this the F10?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, jdlaing said:

Is this the F10?

Ha. You beat me to the edit. That’s what comes of replying quickly without my glasses. Predictive text strikes again. Still, if you’d prefer an animal to lug your pride and joy around….why not a donkey instead of a Domke?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still on the hunt for my “perfect” super small bag for the M10 with lens plus (maybe) one extra lens and some smaller stuff like extra battery, wallet, keys ... I'm honing in on my pick, so I thought I'd share my findings as they might help others.

My main demands were:
    •    Ideal for daily carry just for the camera and some smaller stuff (see above)
    •    Smallest possible size/weight
    •    Save storage for above things
    •    Quick access to the camera: Highly important. I want to grab the camera as fast as possible, throw the bag on my back and keep on walking.
    •    Longlasting
    •    Stylish, preferably leather

I started out with the Ona Bond Street (or a close enough knock off, so this might not perfectly apply to the Ona): Very nice bag, fullfilled my needs, but in the end, it is still to big. If they took of a couple of cm from the height, I might have just gone with my first choice and stopped looking.

Next up was the Peak Design Everyday Sling 3L. Not leather, but the material looks and feels high quality. Best of the bunch when I comes to size/storage-ratio. This fits so many thing with all it's clever pockets and still looks rather small when closed. It's also very light. It has by far the most versatile carrying system, it can easily be changed from messenger style to sling style. Access to the camera is fast enough with just the one zipper on top. But to feel safe, I'd have to close it again after taking the camera out, so noone can just reach into it. Which is just not what I'm looking for. Also, for some of us, the zipper might be a problem because you'd have to be very careful to get the camera out without scratching it against the zipper. On the plus side: The price is VERY reasonable and it's by far the cheapest of the bunch.

After these to rather cheap options I bit the bullet and went big with the Oberwerth Q Bag in the LSI Limited Nubuk Edition. This was deffinitely the most beautiful bag and the leather is amazing. Soft and sturdy at the same time, one can just feel that these are made to last a lifetime, which might be an excuse for the price. It's also the perfect size I was looking for and has enough storage space for my needs. I fell in love with it immediately. That is, until I actually tried it. For my kind of use, it had so many flaws! First off, the nubuk leather is beautiful, but since the strap is also made of it, it makes it kinda “sticky”. Which means that I always pulled half my clothing along with the bag when I tried to move it front to back or anything. (This problem might be exclusive to the nubuk edition, maybe the other leather variants are different. But still, it could have been easily avoided by using some other material for the underside of the strap.)
Next problem for me was the closing system. While the clips certainly feel secure as they lock into place, getting the camera out is a chore! Open two clips, pull the flap up, get the camera out. Then I want to be able to throw the bag on my back, but if I'd do that, I'd leave everything inside exposed to thieves, as the flap doesn't come properly down again and there are no zippers to at least keep a wallet out of sight. Worse even than the Peak Design, which kinda closes itself and has a lot of closed pockets to at least keep stuff out of sight. So sadly, hard no for the Oberwerth, all beauty but no practicality.

And then I just looked at my large bag from Compagnon and they actually produce a tiny version of it these days, the Compagnon Nano Messenger! And finally, all (well, most) of my prayers have been answered. It is small, has a great strap that moves easily and the additional pockets have zippers. But best of all, it is so quick to use. It has a very clever magnetic lock. You just have to pull down the flap a bit before you open it. So it's all one movement, then you have access to your gear. And best of all, when I let the flap fall down, it actually closes itself! It doesn't just fall down, but the magnet draws the lock into position, so it is automatically secure when I move the bag out of the way on my back. Noone can just reach into it. love it! So I hope that my long search is finally over. I didn't test this one in “the wild” yet, and it could use a little more small storage pockets, but think it's “close enough” and this will be a keeper. Ah yes, it also looks quite good. Not as nice as the Oberwerth, but still good and not neccessarily like a camera bag. 

• Like 1

I use the Domke F-803 in waxed canvas and can’t say enough good things about it. It’s incredibly lightweight, understated and does not look like a camera bag while travelling.

It fits two bodies with lenses attached, plus another two lenses stacked in the padded insert(it comes with a small insert for a single M with lens but I bought the larger insert) plus a surprising amount of stuff in the front pockets.

The functionality is amazing, and you need to learn how to open the latch one-handed: great safety against pickpockets! And a fundamental feature for me is the top handle, to quickly grab/move the bag while travelling, getting in the car etc.

I will use a Hadley One from Billingham for all the wedding gear (all M gear and flashes) plus a black, small Cosyspeed Streetomatic waist bag for flash and extra lens while working the wedding.

The Cosyspeed can fit both bodies with Crons attached and batteries for a full day out as well, and I often do that for street photography.

• Like 3

On 1/17/2024 at 3:06 PM, Herr Barnack said:

I don't need another camera bag, but these have been tempting me for months.  They are beautiful...

The bag looks nice, but I don’t like thick shoulder straps or those nasty spring clips that attach it to the bag or the pretentious leather straps over the bag, trying to make it look like a heavy saddle bag slung over a pack horse.

Posted (edited)

My Leica Combination Bag, small size, in soft black leather with a stiff internal frame; nice to use and wear. Made in about 1980's.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

bag "1913-1983" Kombi 14816 with interior modified by me
M10-Summicron 50-Summaron 35/2-
Superangulon 21/4-Elmarit 90 all with lens hood-1 battery - 020 viewfinder and 4 filters

or small backpack with interior modified by me
above:

2 M10 with Elmarit 28/2.8 and Summicron 50 - filters and spaces for various 
under:
Superangulon 21/4 - Summaron 35/2.8 - Elmarit 90 - Telyt 200 and TZOON
1 battery - visoflex 020 viewfinder

Edited by altus
  • Like 1

Crumpler Proper Roady 2.0 4500.........had one for years, less than €70 and a really good bag, otherwise any Domke that's just large enough for what you want to carry and no more, there's plenty of shapes and sizes to chose from.

Am 17.1.2024 um 16:06 schrieb Herr Barnack:

I don't need another camera bag, but these have been tempting me for months.  They are beautiful...

Just saw that this colour variant is on offer right now. Very tempting. Like you, I don't need another bag in this size segment, but I think it looks great and the offer is a bargain compared to similar bags ...