Bag to fit only M10 with attached lens?

piblondin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For a one lens camera bag I would strongly recommend the Hadley Digital. It is small yet big enough to accommodate a Leica body with a mounted lens. In fact it will work with all Leica lenses. Plus there is space for one additional lens or flash. It is rain proof and comes in a whole range of colours.

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

I sometimes thought about a sling type of bag from Peak or Pacsafe, to replace my Billingham Hadley Digital. But I didn’t because the Hadley Digital, which I’m very happy to own since eternity, can be held as a sling too.  
Everything smaller within Billingham is a waste of money in my view. What if OP wants to carry a 90 or a 75 as his one lens on the M10? And the fast wider angled Voigtländers aren’t short either. 

Edited by otto.f

I spent a lot of time looking for a bag for this particular use case - single body with a single lens attached. I have a Peak Design Sling 5L and a Billingham Stowaway. What I ended up taking to Europe for 2 weeks was this $50 bag: https://www.hexbrand.com/collections/camera/products/ranger-crossbody-blackout-camo

Comfortable to wear cross-body. Soft interior lining, plastic zippers so they won't scratch the camera. Was out in the rain in London and no issues. A snug fit for an M11 + 50 Summilux, but was really perfect for city walking.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I often use the Leica neoprene case for this purpose.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

It actually protects the camera quite well against rain and snow, but the camera strap will of course get wet.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried many bags over the years, a closet full of the failures that I wonder what the hell to do with when I open it forgetting what's inside............But I always seem to come back to Domke all canvas bags and always in black. They used to be cheap, not so much now.............But they are "honest" bags, not showy, highly practical and have worn well enough for me despite work and travel's careless abuse, like favourite Levis 501's used to do.

Addition: Crumpler bags are also worth a look too, they don't cost an arm and a leg, their small Proper Roady 4500 series I rate second to my Domkes and they are great value for around €70,00......https://www.crumpler.eu/collections/camera-all/products/proper-roady-2-0-camera-sling-4500

Edited by Smudgerer
Added Content
  • Like 3

On 7/11/2023 at 8:21 PM, piblondin said:

Can anyone recommend a good, small, lightweight, padded bag that will fit only the M with an attached 35mm or 50mm lens and also protect against rain?

Check the Wotancraft Pilot 2L (https://www.wotancraft.tw/en/product/pilot-travel-camera-sling-bag-2L-blackC)

or the Oberwerth Q bag (https://us.oberwerth.com/products/the-q-bag-leica-q3-bag?variant=41995661967592)

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 5:39 AM, nodrog said:

Domke F-5XB Ruggedwear shoulder and belt bag. One of the few bags that looks better with age - far better at least than the Fogg (see above). Can be refurbed easily with the included wax. Holds an M with two lenses, a notebook and pen etc. All the Domke stuff is outstanding, IMHO, and the 'ruggedwear' finish is best of all. I have a Billingham Leica Special bag as a freebie from Leica Tokyo, which is stiff and clumsy in comparison. 

Another vote for Domke bags here, a tan F2 and a black F6.  I have had the two of them for over 20 years, used them professionally, and they show no wear at all.   My "M" bag, however is a TimBuk2 small messenger with a camera insert.  I carry the body with a mounted lens, a 35mm, an 85mm, a Sekonic L-308 and a couple of small odds'n'ends in it.  It's waterproof, provides excellent protection, and is lightweight.

Edited by hepcat
  • Like 1

The Lowepro nova micro is perfect for a body with a lens attached, with room for a phone, extra batteries, SD cards, etc. It's been discontinued but you can still find them pretty easily. I've had one for about 15 years and it's worked out great.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1275685195/padded-lowepro-nova-2-camera-bag-black

Hey,

I’ve always been a pouch-in-messenger-bag user, but bookmarked a few sling bags recently. I like the fact that one can wear them close to chest or back.

Options, sizes and features are plentiful, but I quite liked the Alpaka‘s. Look is a bit „techy“, but VX is a quite sturdy material and the bags are not screaming „expensive camera in here“.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on this AWESOME find:

As the Peak Design field pouch’s Velcros went to shit I have been mulling about alternatives. Browsing the B&H Superstore in NYC the other day I found a Domke F-945 belt pouch. Having used the Domke F-2 in my younger days (and loved it) I have tested the above mentioned pouch with my Leica and it could perfectly fit the body with 35 steel rim/40 summicron mounted and still had room for the 21/4 Voigtlander and an extra battery, yet not being much bigger than my old Peak Design. The Velcro on Domke is brutal!
The bag mounts on the belt and my camera is double secured with custom made 150cm/5 ft. leather camera strap across my shoulder.
This setup represents the ultimate freedom and adequate protection even for third world countries. A perfect fit, a perfect match for my height (I am 6.2ft/189cm). The bag deters water and is of the last true indestructible “Made in USA” camera bag brands.

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Just a quick update on this AWESOME find:

As the Peak Design field pouch’s Velcros went to shit I have been mulling about alternatives. Browsing the B&H Superstore in NYC the other day I found a Domke F-945 belt pouch. Having used the Domke F-2 in my younger days (and loved it) I have tested the above mentioned pouch with my Leica and it could perfectly fit the body with 35 steel rim/40 summicron mounted and still had room for the 21/4 Voigtlander and an extra battery, yet not being much bigger than my old Peak Design. The Velcro on Domke is brutal!
The bag mounts on the belt and my camera is double secured with custom made 150cm/5 ft. leather camera strap across my shoulder.
This setup represents the ultimate freedom and adequate protection even for third world countries. A perfect fit, a perfect match for my height (I am 6.2ft/189cm). The bag deters water and is of the last true indestructible “Made in USA” camera bag brands.

+1 on kudos for Domke! . @Al Brown any chance we can see the inside of the bag with a lens attached?  Thanks for posting this as it’s exactly what I was wanting to try out. Only wish it was sans Velcro and it had the old f2 style clip and loop.

Edited by RMF

On 7/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, nodrog said:

Domke F-5XB Ruggedwear shoulder and belt bag. One of the few bags that looks better with age - far better at least than the Fogg (see above). Can be refurbed easily with the included wax. Holds an M with two lenses, a notebook and pen etc. All the Domke stuff is outstanding, IMHO, and the 'ruggedwear' finish is best of all. I have a Billingham Leica Special bag as a freebie from Leica Tokyo, which is stiff and clumsy in comparison. 

Could I ask you about the metal zipper? 
Does it not scratch the camera/lens when taking them out/putting them in?

I’m really interested in the bag but having not handled it this doubt stopped me from ordering one.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RMF said:

+1 on kudos for Domke! . @Al Brown any chance we can see the inside of the bag with a lens attached?  Thanks for posting this as it’s exactly what I was wanting to try out. Only wish it was sans Velcro and it had the old f2 style clip and loop.

Sure. Quick snap.

• Like 3