What camera bag are you using?

kivis

I got this new, used Domke F-5XB yesterday. I read about it here on the forum and immediately started looking for one. It fits perfectly for my small kit.

Every time something new comes into the house, the cat gets very curious about it. 😺

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(Taken with a Leica V-Lux 5)

• Like 3

Yes, the little Domke is a good little bag. I've been using them for years. Only a few little things bothered me. Above all, there was the big logo. Which I cut off first. Then the big Velcro fastener annoyed me. This loud noise every time I open it... I swapped it for a magnetic closure. Holds well and is silent. The large metal zippers also kept rattling. I swapped the large metal straps for sturdy leather straps - now it's quiet and you can take the bag with you to a concert. I also gave the bag a kind of handle. Now you can, for example, Just grab it in the car, which I find very practical. Thanks to the additional tabs on the sides, this is very easy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 4:30 AM, Stevejack said:

I've been using a messenger bag like this for years, it has a padded camera insert and fits two M bodies with lenses attached and has a separate pouch for a laptop if you need it. Those buckles actually hide magnetic button studs so it's very quick to access. 

The waterproof canvas is tough as nails and no-one knows it's a camera bag. If I'm out on the street this is the bag I use. 

Would you like to tell us which model is this bag? Link?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 2/2/2024 at 3:30 AM, Herr Barnack said:

My most used bag these days is my Wotancraft Pilot 7 liter.  I have a Billingham Hadley Pro that has seen a lot of use but nowadays I lean toward the Pilot 7L.  It does a good job, is not as boxy feeling and is significantly lighter than the Bill Had Pro. 

When I need to carry more gear than the Pilot 7L. can accommodate, I go with my Think Tank Photo Retrospective 7 V2.0.  These are my two most frequently used camera bags.

If I am traveling and want to bring a full kit, I will use my Wandrd Prvke Lite backpack.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:01 AM, Bronski said:

Same here, the 7L Pilot is enough for 2 M bodies. I have the 10L, too, but almost never use that one. Usually I have only 1 M and a few lenses with me, so there is still a bit space left for other stuff.

On 2/2/2024 at 4:16 AM, junix said:

Another vote for the Wotancraft Pilot 7 liter, outstanding bag with amazing customization options due to the add on components, thought through to the last detail. And also very light, without inserts and add ons it is just 0,7 kg.

On 3/17/2024 at 5:27 PM, dav3 said:

Wotancraft Pilot 7L and 2L

7L fits my M11, Sony A7 Body with 16-35mm GM comfortably

2L fits a M11 very well

It used to be the peak design sling bags. I found wotancraft bags a nicer design + outstanding quality AND the shoulder strap won't slip as it has a very thick anti slip material 

Enablers …

I’ve just ordered a 7L in charcoal/black. Yes I need another bag like a hole in the head, but you twisted my arm …

I’m hoping it will prove useful as a travel bag on an upcoming trip to London, with a small kit of one M body, two lenses, spare battery and a point & shoot zoom backup.

Have you all been content with the plastic hardware, particularly on the strap ends and buckle?

Edited by Mute-on

On 3/20/2024 at 9:14 AM, Archiver said:

The now discontinued Crumpler Dry Red No. 2 Boarding/Messenger bag is a waterresistant canvas 8 litre shoulder bag. At a pinch, it will carry a Leica M with Zeiss Distagon 35 mounted, and a Panasonic G9 with 12-35 mounted. Without the second camera, there is ample room for small bits and pieces, like spare lenses. I line the bottom of mine with a Billingham padded velcro divider strip from the disappointingly heavy and bulky Hadley Pro. I really ought to have bought another Crumpler before they were discontinued as it is almost the perfect shoulder bag for me. The closest Crumpler has now is a bulkier and stiffer bag called the Billy, which has a thick shoulder pad, waterproof front flap pocket with velcro (ugh) and a diminished size rear zip pocket.

Agreed regarding Crumpler, good bags well designed, durable, not flash, not expensive. I have a couple of Proper Roady 4500, good for a couple of M bodies with lenses mounted, plus room for an iPad Mini / Kindle and a few other bits and pieces............The other bag I go to would be a Domke at whatever size is appropriate for what I need to haul around, the 700-00D F-10 JD is the latest acquisition, again a good bag for a couple of M's plus extras, the only thing I don't like about some recent Domkes is the increased use of Velcro closures. I pick that off of my Domke's and replace it with magnetic snaps or nothing depending on the bag. Domke bags have gotten more expensive these days, don't know why because they are simple bags and not made with exotic materials, charging more nowadays because they can I guess...........That just makes the Crumplers even more of a bargain.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, letitz said:

The best bag is a bag that doesnt say "please Rob me. I have a fancy bag with a fancy camera inside"  

I use the PD Sling. I'm traveling now. Nobody cares.

That would be my old worn Domke F803 (my 'beater bag') or my Wotancraft Pilot 7L.

11 hours ago, Mute-on said:

Enablers …

I’ve just ordered a 7L in charcoal/black. Yes I need another bag like a hole in the head, but you twisted my arm …

I’m hoping it will prove useful as a travel bag on an upcoming trip to London, with a small kit of one M body, two lenses, spare battery and a point & shoot zoom backup.

Have you all been content with the plastic hardware, particularly on the strap ends and buckle?

Using it every day. No issue with the plastic strap ends/buckle. Very solid 

• Like 1

vor 23 Stunden schrieb Mute-on:

It seems the new "upgraded" version now includes the magnetic buckle instead of the simple metal hook - much better. Otherwise I would have suggested to upgrade to the magnetic buckle.

• Like 1

Billingham something... (Very bad at remembering product names.)

ALL my gear fits in there. One camera with mounted lens, two more lenses and some small stuff.

• Like 4

On 3/20/2024 at 11:01 AM, Deejaybeephoto said:

You’re absolutely right- I’m out of date!  It is free regular shipping to the UK from the main site. They’re not easily available from UK dealers and the last time I looked involved buying from Europe with shipping !

Decision time!

Update: just tried to buy a strap from the main Wotencraft site - and they’re charging $19 US for standard delivery to the UK - for a strap!  Needless to say I won’t be shopping with them. 

5 minutes ago, Deejaybeephoto said:

Update: just tried to buy a strap from the main Wotencraft site - and they’re charging $19 US for standard delivery to the UK - for a strap!  Needless to say I won’t be shopping with them. 

If you spend $99 US or more, international shipping is free (according to their website). My recent purchase of a Pilot 7L confirmed this.

There’s nothing unusual about charging shipping for low value purchases anywhere online in my experience. A $99 USD threshold for free international shipping is more than reasonable. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mute-on said:

If you spend $99 US or more, international shipping is free (according to their website). My recent purchase of a Pilot 7L confirmed this.

There’s nothing unusual about charging shipping for low value purchases anywhere online in my experience. A $99 USD threshold for free international shipping is more than reasonable. 

Agreed, it is reasonable if made clear up-front. Interestingly, from their list, Spain, UK, Belgium and Austria are subject to the new excess shipping charges for <$99 but Germany and France appear to be still free shipping.