Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone looked at holster-style bags for the SL plus 24-90mm? It'd be a big holster but, with a shoulder strap and belt loop it might be an easy way to carry and quickly access the camera. Holster bags are great when walking. There a pain getting in and out of cars.

Might be perfect. The Ari Marcopoulos bag is similar and larger if you want to carry more. This is it in leather, but they have a cloth version too for $100 less. 

https://www.incase.com/shop/camera-bags/incaseari-marcopoulos-camera-bag-leather-blac/black/

The Ari is longer and actually pretty big.....I have the DSLR and the larger one....both are great bags but I think the smaller one might be enough for the SL with a bunch of m lenses....not sure it would hold the SL with zoom....not sure the Ari would either actually....

Strap: I've decided to give the ARTISAN & ARTIST ACAM-305 a try. It's a silk cord type strap with nylon/acrylic tape-style ends. Not cheap ... I ordered direct from a vendor in Japan who is selling it for $150. But it's very light, very strong, and for someone who uses a strap the way I do, it might be perfect.

(I normally don't hang a camera by the strap around my neck or over my shoulder. I use the strap as a safety, wrapped around my forearm and wrist, most of the time. The problem with flat straps used this way is that they tangle where cord straps do not.)

Should be here in a couple of days and I'll let all'y'all know how it works.

I too like silky type straps which I can wrap round my hand and wrist, if I want to carry the camera that way, so that is what I have ordered from Luigi at Leicatime. However I bet you get your strap from Japan before I get mine from Italy  :)

Well, I have my strap from Luigi:

It's lovely - but I think it's a worth in progress from his point of view.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

(If you have a grand-daughter called Scarlett . . . )

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More BagMania:

Forgot about this one ... https://www.peakdesign.com/the-everyday-messenger

Looks like a pretty nice design. 

There's also the new Tenba Cooper series ... http://www.tenba.com/collections/cooper.aspx

A 13 DSLR or 15 looks like it would be a good fit. 

I have never been keen on messenger type bags, which are really designed to carry paperwork or sheaves of courier envelopes. They are usually designed to have flexible width, so that if you don't have a lot in them, they are not as bulky. For a camera bag, my feeling is that you really need a more rigid frame, with an elongated cube shape. I also don't like deep bags, which have items stacked in layers, so you have to remove the top item to get to the one underneath. This can be very inconvenient where there is nowhere dry or clean to put the top item down, while you get the bottom one out. It can also lead to leaving things behind. 

I have never been keen on messenger type bags, which are really designed to carry paperwork or sheaves of courier envelopes. They are usually designed to have flexible width, so that if you don't have a lot in them, they are not as bulky. For a camera bag, my feeling is that you really need a more rigid frame, with an elongated cube shape. I also don't like deep bags, which have items stacked in layers, so you have to remove the top item to get to the one underneath. This can be very inconvenient where there is nowhere dry or clean to put the top item down, while you get the bottom one out. It can also lead to leaving things behind. 

For sure: There's a balance in size, shape, rigidity, and the ability of the bag to provide impact protection. And a true messenger bag is designed to do a different job than a camera bag, providing easy access and carry capabilities for a hefty load of deliverables along with versatile carry configuration. 

The notion is of using a messenger bag's carry capabilities and ease of access while adapting the camera bag's self-supporting structure and protection, and interior organization. Camera bags can be "messenger-style" as a consequence, but they're not actually messenger bags. 

The ones I like are generally one level deep, provide excellent access and weather protection, and allow me to wear them in both off-shoulder and bandolier style ways depending on how much weight they're stuffed with and how I need to configure them on me for the needs of shooting and transit. The Billingham Hadleys and A&A ACAM 7100/1100 are both excellent camera bags in a messenger style design, and work well for me over all. Same for the Tenba Messenger and DNA series, and it looks like the Cooper series will do well too. 

• Like 1

bag threads... :rolleyes:

Then don't read them. The thread only does what it says on the tin.

You also have to remember that many of us on this forum have only had Leica M cameras for a long time and therefore have no experience or knowledge of larger bags. Therefore other members' suggestions, particularly those written from experience of owning that bag, are very useful. I was possibly going to get a Billingham L2 for my SL and 24-90 but I now know it is a tight fit in there, so have crossed off my list - very helpful. 

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

I think Billingham should offer a top handle as an option.  For example, the Hadley Pro has a handle.  The Hadley Large, (which is larger of course and needs a handle) does not.

The Billingham Eventer is another one of their bags with a handle on it and a good alternative to the Hadley Large. It's not cheap but is very nicely made and will last a very long time. I bought one for non-photographic use (it's a bit roomier than the Hadley Pro and ideal for a laptop plus files/books, etc. with a Leica slotted in too) but it is also fine as a pure photography bag. I don't have an SL but I'd be surprised if it isn't a good fit for the Eventer. 

Edited by wattsy
  • Like 2

What are the dimensions of the SL with the 24-90 attached?

Sorry - I know this should be easily available somewhere ...

Edit - looking at the dimensions in the technical data (adding the lens length onto the camera thickness) is this about correct?

180mm long (without hood) x 104mm high x 147 wide

The reason I ask is that the limiting factor will be the bag thickness - i.e., the height of the camera.  My dothebag Mono_09 is insufficiently thick to take an A7, or a T or M(240) with EVF attached, so I doubt it will fit the SL.  I'm not really into having lots of bags, but I seem to have acquired quite a few that don't fit ...

That rather begs the question - what do I want to fit?  SL with 24-90zoom & hood, and room for adapters etc, maybe a couple of M lenses or an R lens stored underneath.

The Fogg B-sharp bag, Jono, looks a little thin ...

Edited by IkarusJohn

What are the dimensions of the SL with the 24-90 attached?

Sorry - I know this should be easily available somewhere ...

It's not, really. It fits into a box 9 1/2 x 5 3/4 x 4 inches in size (the interior compartment of a Billingham Alice L2) snugly, see the photo up-thread at:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/252169-which-bag-for-the-sl/?do=findComment&comment=2933774

• Like 1

Inches?  Holy moley ...

241mm (long) x 147mm (wide) x 104mm (tall)

In bag terms, the interior would then need to be approx 25cm wide x 11cm thick x 15cm tall just for the camera and lens with hood fitted ...

Well, we is 'Murricuns here ...  :rolleyes:

When I measured it, I just happened to grab my 1938 Stanley Folding Carpenter's Rule, which is only marked in inch units.  B)

https://www.etsy.com/listing/212917607/antique-stanley-no-61-folding-rule?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_b-craft_supplies_and_tools-tools_and_home_improvement-tools&utm_custom1=fd78259a-2884-409a-9885-497afbd67264&gclid=CM6u0ImBr8kCFSISfgodLrYFiA

• Like 1

The Billingham Eventer is another one of their bags with a handle on it and a good alternative to the Hadley Large. It's not cheap but is very nicely made and will last a very long time. I bought one for non-photographic use (it's a bit roomier than the Hadley Pro and ideal for a laptop plus files/books, etc. with a Leica slotted in too) but it is also fine as a pure photography bag. I don't have an SL but I'd be surprised if it isn't a good fit for the Eventer. 

Yes, the Billingham Eventer is a great bag with R system, like the Hadley is for the M system. 

I added an Hadley large insert in mine. 

Yes, the Billingham Eventer is a great bag with R system, like the Hadley is for the M system. 

I added an Hadley large insert in mine. 

Dale Cameras seem to be offering the best deal that I could find on the Eventer but still expensive at £445. However I want to try a few bags before I buy, so I will probably go to Parkcameras, who are only about 10km away. OTOH Park are offering the best deal I could find on a Billingham 335, which is quite high on my possibles list and £200 less than an Eventer. I thought I could wait until January but I now have two things booked, for which I will need a bag. The only thing I have is a huge Jill-E roll around somewhere up in the attic, left over from when I did large format, with a Graflex. It is beautifully made of heavy real suede but weighs a ton. 

Edited by wlaidlaw