Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Channel Modern/Fast & Prime custom made me this bag so I could use with it my SL + 24-90.  It's now available to the general public.

http://channelmodern.com/items/aubrey-special-edition-admiralty

I have several 4 of their pieces and think their designs are timeless and hand craftsmanship exemplary.  It's a premium bag so may not be for everybody, but if you are in the market for such a product, I can't recommend them enough. 

They also custom made me this bag as well, which can also be used for the SL:

http://channelmodern.com/items/roller-type-2-casebag-hybrid

Hien

Thanks hhn360. It looks wonderful and reliable, longlasting bag. Though very very expensive. I have Leica S with battery handgriff and this bag seems too narrow for it. Maybe they could customize it. I will contact them. - vintola -

• Like 1

Thanks hhn360. It looks wonderful and reliable, longlasting bag. Though very very expensive. I have Leica S with battery handgriff and this bag seems too narrow for it. Maybe they could customize it. I will contact them. - vintola -

Yes, do contact Neal. He designs and makes the bag by hand himself. He made it to my exact size specifications for my needs and will probably be able to work with you as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using the Billingham 225. It's great for the SL, extra M lens or two, filters, cable release, protein bars... If I'm just out for a walk, I'll use the ThinkTank Urban Approach 5. At this time, it's TT smallest bag that will fit the SL. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've settled on the Peak Design Everyday Messenger. It's not the prettiest, but it's immensely practical and compact; it's also the best thought out bag I've used.

It will take the SL with 24-90 zoom and APO Elmarit-R 180/2.8 (standing up) and extender. Works well - highly recommended. Even takes the tripod on top.

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 1

Was using the ONA Nylon Brixton messenger and ONA Camps Bay backpack and thought I was happy with them, but decided to give the Oberwerth Heidelberg a try.  So glad I did!  It is the perfect size for both AF and MF SL setups. Favorite bag in years. To switch between AF/MF systems just slip in the insert and go!  

For AF (90-280 & SL w/30-90 attached): Remove the insert, add a long piece of foam to the bottom, put the 90-280 in a ClikElite Large neoprene Lens Wrap and slip SL with 30-90 attached into empty end of the bag.

For MF (R80-200, M Noctilux, and SL w/R28-90 attached): Add insert with MF gear + SL or use flip&tumble micro tote (which I keep in my camera bag anyway) to carry the insert when not in use.   

Bonus: Snap on a Billingham 2" SP20 shoulder pad.

Edited by CiraCrowell
  • Like 3

I'm using the Billingham 225. It's great for the SL, extra M lens or two, filters, cable release, protein bars... If I'm just out for a walk, I'll use the ThinkTank Urban Approach 5. At this time, it's TT smallest bag that will fit the SL. 

I too use the 225 along with a Combi M for when SL-Less. Maybe one of the few bags that you can leave to your children. My Combi M is close to 20 years old and showing little signs of wear other than the odd stain on the gaberdine material. 

I love the fit and finish of the Billingham 225 but find it awkward to get gear in and out of. Unfortunate because it is a lovely piece of equipment.

On this trip, I used the Black Label Bag "Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II" to carry SL + Summicron-R 35, Summicron-R 90, and Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21. If it were a half to inch thicker back to front, it would be excellent. 

To those of you using the artisan and artist bags for the SL will it fit in with a lens attached as the dimensions of the bags imply it won't.

Obviously, it depends upon which bag and which lens you're referring to.  :rolleyes:

A&A makes a healthy range of different bags from small to large. 

If I remove the Velcro dividers in my ACAM1000, the SL and SL24-90 lens fits. 

The "Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II" by BLB is very similar but a bit roomier. The SL + SL24-90 fits the same way as above, and the SL fitted with one R lens fits with two other R or M lenses, depending on exactly which lenses. 

Anyone using a holster style bag for the SL and 24-90?  Am looking at the Lowe Pros:

http://store.lowepro.com/toploading/toploader-pro-75-aw-ii

There is a smaller, lighter weight model but it has plastic hooks and no padding on the shoulder strap, which I think rules it out:

http://store.lowepro.com/toploader-zoom-55-aw

Grateful for any comments from anyone with experience of these, thanks.

Someone earlier in the thread was talking about a Manfrotto holster type bag. I saw them at the camera shop yesterday and they look nice. But I'm not much of a holster bag user myself. 

I also saw the new Tenba Cooper 13SLR model at the shop and was favorably impressed. The design is similar to my BLB Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II but is deeper fore/aft (and a bit more besides). It will fit the SL fitted with zoom and two largish, more medium sized lenses easily, has a separate back pocket for up to a 16" laptop, nice pockets and organizers, etc. Nice materials, tricky Velcro closure on the overflap that can be opened completely silently by pulling down, easy to get things in and out of it, etc. It's about the same price as the Peak Design Everyday Messenger so I've got to weigh the merits of the two. 

Someone earlier in the thread was talking about a Manfrotto holster type bag. I saw them at the camera shop yesterday and they look nice. But I'm not much of a holster bag user myself. 

I also saw the new Tenba Cooper 13SLR model at the shop and was favorably impressed. The design is similar to my BLB Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II but is deeper fore/aft (and a bit more besides). It will fit the SL fitted with zoom and two largish, more medium sized lenses easily, has a separate back pocket for up to a 16" laptop, nice pockets and organizers, etc. Nice materials, tricky Velcro closure on the overflap that can be opened completely silently by pulling down, easy to get things in and out of it, etc. It's about the same price as the Peak Design Everyday Messenger so I've got to weigh the merits of the two. 

That Tenba looks good. I bought a Tenba holster style bag back in early 90s for a Nikon F5 plus 80-200. When it arrived it didn't have attachments for a regular shoulder strap (just a chest strap on) so they sent it back to the factory and installed some.....as the advert indicated they were there. Top quality bag.  

I have 2 Billinghams - a 335 from around 1990 and a small Hadley from couple of years ago.  Love the brand and their quality bags - anyone noticed they launched backpacks today????  

Now I have bought the SL and 24-90, I am thinking between a camera/man bag (ie. a bag that hold a camera and kit PLUS bottle of water, sunglasses, specs, phone....) or a camera bag (ie. only holds camera and kit), hence thinking of a holster. 

That Tenba looks good. I bought a Tenba holster style bag back in early 90s for a Nikon F5 plus 80-200. When it arrived it didn't have attachments for a regular shoulder strap (just a chest strap on) so they sent it back to the factory and installed some.....as the advert indicated they were there. Top quality bag.  

I have 2 Billinghams - a 335 from around 1990 and a small Hadley from couple of years ago.  Love the brand and their quality bags - anyone noticed they launched backpacks today????  

Now I have bought the SL and 24-90, I am thinking between a camera/man bag (ie. a bag that hold a camera and kit PLUS bottle of water, sunglasses, specs, phone....) or a camera bag (ie. only holds camera and kit), hence thinking of a holster. 

I always have other junk to carry so the holster bag isn't particularly useful to me. 

BTW, I mistyped above ... the Tenba Cooper 13SLR will carry up to a 13" laptop in the back pocket, not 16". (That would make it a very very large bag!) Tenba has consistently produced good quality bags. I have one of the small DNA-8s that is a great fit to my Leica M4-2 plus three lenses, and their Messenger Mini is remarkably capacious for a medium sized bag, but it is somewhat bulky.

I'm looking for something just a bit trimmer. The BLB bag I have works well for the M, but isn't thick enough for the SL. Right now, it's between the Cooper 13SLR and the Everyday Messenger bag. 

The Billingham 225 would work okay if it were a bit easier to get gear in and out of it. It's fine for my Hasselblad SWC where I don't tend to pull things in and out very often.

• Like 1

Anyone using a holster style bag for the SL and 24-90?  Am looking at the Lowe Pros:

http://store.lowepro.com/toploading/toploader-pro-75-aw-ii

There is a smaller, lighter weight model but it has plastic hooks and no padding on the shoulder strap, which I think rules it out:

http://store.lowepro.com/toploader-zoom-55-aw

Grateful for any comments from anyone with experience of these, thanks.

I'm using the 

Crumpler QE800-001 Quick Escape 800 Toploader which is perfect for the SL + 24/90

I also tried the Manfrotto Access H-18 PL Holster but was not so satisfied.

• Like 1