Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1. Because the SL is only a bit smaller than the Leica S, I would say that the Billingham f.1.4 is fine for the SL as well. I have that bag, and use it for carrying the Leica S with one lens on, and a second one. The f.1.4 is actually a bigger L2, so to say. Nicest way of opening the flap: completely silent, very quick.

2. Another possibility: the Koenig Lite-bag 2 with the insert specifically made for the Leica S. Completely waterproof.

3. A third one: Think Tank City Walker 30. With the most adds-and-ons regarding internal pockets, etc.

Both the Billingham and the Think Tank weight 1 Kg aprox.

The Koenig Lite-bag 2 weighs 0.8 Kg, even less.

Each has its advantages: I have the three...

Edited by Manolo Laguillo

Manolo, 

That König Lite 2 looks very interesting with a huge difference in weight between it at 700g. against the Billingham 335 at 1800g. That is a lot of extra weight to carry around. They do not appear to have a UK agent, where I could go and look at one but I have asked if they do and also if they will be doing a Lite 2, specially fitted for the SL, like they do for the S. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Any bag that fits a standard full frame DSLR should be perfect for the SL.

Yes. It becomes more a matter of what lenses and other gear you want to carry with it that determines the size of the bag you need. 

Said another way, whatever bag you used to use to carry a Leica R8 or Nikon D750 will fit the Leica SL just fine ... Unless you are going to use the SL 24-90 lens. Then you probably need one size up. 

Edited by ramarren

Yes. It becomes more a matter of what lenses and other gear you want to carry with it that determines the size of the bag you need. 

Said another way, whatever bag you used to use to carry a Leica R8 or Nikon D750 will fit the Leica SL just fine ... Unless you are going to use the SL 24-90 lens. Then you probably need one size up. 

I got rid of all my big bags, saying never again a big camera  B)

I got rid of all my big bags, saying never again a big camera  B)

What's unclear there is what you are referring to as a "big" bag. 

My biggest bags, other than the Pelican roll-away, were always at most medium-sized compared to what's available out there. A couple were/are the same bags I use(d) with my Nikon F3/F6 and Leica R8/Leicaflex SL. They work fine for both M-P typ 240 kits or SL kits ... again, it's more the size of the lens kit I want to carry than the size of the camera that's at issue. 

For instance, the Billingham L2 fits a D750 or F6 or R8 outfitted with two medium sized lenses, or an M-P outfitted with three medium sized lenses ... the latter because the lenses are smaller. The same bag fits the SL with just the 24-90, or the SL with two medium sized lenses. The SL fits in the Oskar's One Day Bag mark II from Black Label Bag with the zoom and two additional lenses (perhaps the Elmar-R 180/4 and Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm) as well as the 2x Extender-R, although that's a little tight. Neither of those are "big" bags by my reckoning. 

I'm sure I can stuff more gear into the Domke F3x due to its boxy shape, but I don't want to lift that much anymore... 

When you are my age and arthritic as well smaller seems bigger  ;)  I have just been the underbidder on a 335 on Fleabay. I think I will follow up on the phone on Monday with the König. I just hope my rusty German is up to it. 

Wilson

Just loaded up to go shoot a couple of tele exposures. The Tenba Messenger Mini holds the SL fitted with Elmarit-R 135/2.8 II, Elmar-R 180/4, Telyt-R 250/4 I, and 2x Extender R with room for another lens and other small accessories as needed. A 13" laptop fits in a dedicated pocket as well, if I was so inclined.

(I stuffed in my iPad mini and a novel I'm reading instead because I'll stop for a snack and coffee while I'm out.)

Manolo, 

That König Lite 2 looks very interesting with a huge difference in weight between it at 700g. against the Billingham 335 at 1800g. That is a lot of extra weight to carry around. They do not appear to have a UK agent, where I could go and look at one but I have asked if they do and also if they will be doing a Lite 2, specially fitted for the SL, like they do for the S. 

Wilson

That's the point: the bag has to be light, the more the better. One aspect that could be redisegned in the Koenig bags is the shoulder pad. I do use one made by Billingham instead

I contacted Herr Koenig directly, by phone. I received the bags from him. I have actually 3 Koenigs: the Lite-Bag 2 for M, the Lite-Bag 2 for the Leica S, and a Lite-Bag 4 with a custom made insert for a bigger rig.

The Koenig bags are clever, completely waterproof, and very light and very strong.

Herr Koenig told me his bags are used by the Leica-Akademie.

• Like 1

What's unclear there is what you are referring to as a "big" bag. 

My biggest bags, other than the Pelican roll-away, were always at most medium-sized compared to what's available out there. A couple were/are the same bags I use(d) with my Nikon F3/F6 and Leica R8/Leicaflex SL. They work fine for both M-P typ 240 kits or SL kits ... again, it's more the size of the lens kit I want to carry than the size of the camera that's at issue. 

For instance, the Billingham L2 fits a D750 or F6 or R8 outfitted with two medium sized lenses, or an M-P outfitted with three medium sized lenses ... the latter because the lenses are smaller. The same bag fits the SL with just the 24-90, or the SL with two medium sized lenses. The SL fits in the Oskar's One Day Bag mark II from Black Label Bag with the zoom and two additional lenses (perhaps the Elmar-R 180/4 and Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm) as well as the 2x Extender-R, although that's a little tight. Neither of those are "big" bags by my reckoning. 

I'm sure I can stuff more gear into the Domke F3x due to its boxy shape, but I don't want to lift that much anymore... 

I misspoke ... thought I'd tried it, but when I went to use it that way today, the zoom simply doesn't fit in that bag very well. That kit does fit well in the Tenba Mini Messenger.

If you want a "walking around bag" that exactly fits the camera, zoom, spare cards and one spare battery, the Manfrotto Holster L is a good option.  With the shoulder strap and belt loops, it is secure and comfortable.  Easy to access the camera.  No bigger than it needs to be.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1131968-REG/manfrotto_mb_ma_h_l_holster_l.html

Manfrotto bought Kata bags so these are well thought-through and good quality.  Comes with a raincoat.

Regards

Peter

• Like 2

I have at last found the dimensions of the König Lite 2 and it would appear to be just too small at 22cm across internally for the SL+24-90+hood, which I measure at 23cm. A bag which you have to struggle to get a camera into and out of or keep having to take the hood on and off, will quickly become an irritation and a cupboard queen. Pity as it looks very nicely made and is very light. I don't like the Manfrotto/Kata bags due to their being synthetic black external finish. Where I live for the summer in Provence, synthetic black bags get too hot inside. The Billingham khaki canvas is very good at keeping the contents cool.

I have at last found the dimensions of the König Lite 2 and it would appear to be just too small at 22cm across internally for the SL+24-90+hood, which I measure at 23cm. A bag which you have to struggle to get a camera into and out of or keep having to take the hood on and off, will quickly become an irritation and a cupboard queen. Pity as it looks very nicely made and is very light. I don't like the Manfrotto/Kata bags due to their being synthetic black external finish. Where I live for the summer in Provence, synthetic black bags get too hot inside. The Billingham khaki canvas is very good at keeping the contents cool.

wlaidlaw, the Lite 2 bag, 'kundenspezifisch', has an inner space of 23.6 x 20 x 13 cm (http://www.koenig-photobags.de/litebag2-kundenspezifisch/).

The Leica S with any lens (30-90 zoom) fits in. There is an insert, rigid but with some flexibility, and the outer shell. My Leica S goes in with the RRS L-Plate attached, therefore making the camera's height bigger than the 13 cm that would be nominally acceptable, but even so it fits well, no problem when maneouvring it in or out. In any case, the dimension you mention is 23.6 cm, not 22.

I'm not at home now. Tomorrow I'll check, to be sure, and will tell you.

I got the 22ccm for the Lite 2 bag off their illustration which showed 3 x 70cm compartments with two quite thin dividers, for which I allowed an additional centimetre. Even at 23.6cm, I still think the bag is going to be tight for the SL with the zoom mounted and leave precious little room to carry anything else, filters, another lens (even a small one), small flash, etc. I am therefore not sure I would be willing to buy it unseen and untried. It is a pity they don't do a Lite 3 between the Lite 2 and Lite 4 in size and weight. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

If you want a "walking around bag" that exactly fits the camera, zoom, spare cards and one spare battery, the Manfrotto Holster L is a good option.  With the shoulder strap and belt loops, it is secure and comfortable.  Easy to access the camera.  No bigger than it needs to be.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1131968-REG/manfrotto_mb_ma_h_l_holster_l.html

Manfrotto bought Kata bags so these are well thought-through and good quality.  Comes with a raincoat.

Is that where the Manfrotto line of bags came from? I saw them for the first time the other day at the store and wondered. They look nice. 

I used to use a holster bag with DSLRs and longer lenses ... I'd forgotten completely about them. They do work very well! Thanks for the reminder. 

I was thinking something from this range, plus a porter to carry behind.

http://www.lvtrunks.com/shop#.VlmnxnhVv-Y

I contacted a similar vintage luggage company, to ask if they were interested in my late great aunt's Sweyne and Adeney solid crocodile suitcase, complete with its original protective canvas cover. It is pretty useless for modern travel as it weighs a ton. It would appear that there is such a vast difference between the market buying-in and selling-out prices, that I came to the conclusion, they were being less than totally honest with me and hoping to rip me off. They seemed to be selling cases like my great aunt's for around $5-8,000. They offered me $100, so we did not do business and I still have the case. I would expect 100% mark up not 4000%. 

• Like 1

I got the 22ccm for the Lite 2 bag off their illustration which showed 3 x 70cm compartments with two quite thin dividers, for which I allowed an additional centimetre. Even at 23.6cm, I still think the bag is going to be tight for the SL with the zoom mounted and leave precious little room to carry anything else, filters, another lens (even a small one), small flash, etc. I am therefore not sure I would be willing to buy it unseen and untried. It is a pity they don't do a Lite 3 between the Lite 2 and Lite 4 in size and weight. 

I'm back and have measured the Lite 2 interior: it's comfortably 24 cm. So there is space for the SL + 24-90 zoom. But if you want to carry another lens etc. this bag is small.

Nevertheless, there is perhaps something that can be done: just buying the insert, and putting it in a canvas bag bigger than the Koenig outer shell, which I suspect is made by the well known german bag manufacturer FREITAG.

The insert's distribution can be custom made by Herr Koenig, anyway.