Bag to fit only M10 with attached lens?

piblondin

1 hour ago, piblondin said:

only the M with an attached 35mm or 50mm lens

Billingham 72 or Fogg Flute. The Flute is a superb bag designed for what you want.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I cannot recommend the Fogg bags.  I have three of them, and they age horribly.  Colours fade unevenly, straps fade, the loose flappy leather fasteners are not secure.

Plus they do not seal adequately for rain protection - rain can get in on the sides.  I bought them in my early days of Leica, when branding mattered to me more than functionality.  They also are very expensive given their limitations! 

• Like 1

To show we’re all different, I disagree with every aspect of the previous post! I have three Fogg bags and recommend them. Mine have aged well, have protected my cameras in heavy rain (never a drop inside), and still fasten well. I have a b major, b minor and soprano. I previously had a Flute, but found it too small for the Q2. It was fine with a M (M240 in my case) - I could use it, just, with the Apo-Summicron-M 75, but it was a bit tight.

The Fogg design features I like are the minimal use of metal, the strap that is broad and goes around the whole bag avoiding connector failure, the light weight, and the integral padding (no inserts). I treat the leather with neat’s foot oil from time to time to keep it supple.

I also like Billingham for similar practical design. I have an Avea for carrying a Barnack on a belt - too small for my film Ms though.

I avoid full leather bags because of their weight.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I too have gone off the heaviness of leather, and now use the following nylon version of this cross body front sling found on ebay for less than $10

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, graphlex said:

Bea Fogg used to recommend Fiebing’s leather conditioner.

bee berman (small case, as she preferred).

Appropriate that she would have recommended a product with ‘bees’wax.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

To show we’re all different, I disagree with every aspect of the previous post! I have three Fogg bags and recommend them. Mine have aged well, have protected my cameras in heavy rain (never a drop inside), and still fasten well. I have a b major, b minor and soprano. I previously had a Flute, but found it too small for the Q2. It was fine with a M (M240 in my case) - I could use it, just, with the Apo-Summicron-M 75, but it was a bit tight.

The Fogg design features I like are the minimal use of metal, the strap that is broad and goes around the whole bag avoiding connector failure, the light weight, and the integral padding (no inserts). I treat the leather with neat’s foot oil from time to time to keep it supple.

I also like Billingham for similar practical design. I have an Avea for carrying a Barnack on a belt - too small for my film Ms though.

I avoid full leather bags because of their weight.

Same experience, both Fogg and Billingham.

My all-black Fogg Lyre is over 20 years old and still going strong.  It was smaller back then compared with the current model (as with certain other Fogg bags), and remains my favorite small bag for a single body/lens, with room for another lens if desired.

Jeff

Another of my Fogg bags that aged very poorly.  You can also see the dye transfer to the inner lining, and can also compare the much darker original colour where it has seen less exposure.  And this is a bag that has not seen rain etc

This bag was $1000!  If a $100 bag did this I wouldn’t be happy…. Like I said, I bought these before I knew better.  

Edited by Huss

1 hour ago, Huss said:

Do you mind showing pics of your Fogg bags that have been so perfect?  It seems incredible that only mine which are rarely used have aged so badly….

Too much work. If you don't believe me from what I say, that's up to you. I'm just passing on my experience to the OP - I'm not trying to convince anyone I'm right and you're wrong. Others are posting their own experience and the OP can make a call.

In the end functionality is more important than appearance. I had an Ona Brixton in leather for a while: stunning looks, but heavy, difficult to get stuff in and out, attachments that were probably not up to the weight the bag could hold. On close inspection the leather was thin laminated stuff and would probably easily tear. I was glad to sell it while it still looked good.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Domke F-5XB Ruggedwear shoulder and belt bag. One of the few bags that looks better with age - far better at least than the Fogg (see above). Can be refurbed easily with the included wax. Holds an M with two lenses, a notebook and pen etc. All the Domke stuff is outstanding, IMHO, and the 'ruggedwear' finish is best of all. I have a Billingham Leica Special bag as a freebie from Leica Tokyo, which is stiff and clumsy in comparison. 

• Like 3

I had two Fogg bags in black which I used quite a lot: Flute and Soprano. The Flute aged fast by fading  like Huss showed. The Soprano suffered from the metal knobs getting loose and falling off (I was sent a replacement set free of charge which is excellent service) and the lining tore. I still have the Flute, but I threw away the Soprano. Now I use a Wotencraft Pilot 3.5, which looks good (not as elegant as the Fogg), but is very practical.

Seeing the reactions above: YMMV

Edited by stephan54

1 hour ago, nodrog said:

Domke F-5XB Ruggedwear shoulder and belt bag. One of the few bags that looks better with age - far better at least than the Fogg (see above). Can be refurbed easily with the included wax. Holds an M with two lenses, a notebook and pen etc. All the Domke stuff is outstanding, IMHO, and the 'ruggedwear' finish is best of all. I have a Billingham Leica Special bag as a freebie from Leica Tokyo, which is stiff and clumsy in comparison. 

I have the Domke F5XB in waxed canvas as well - bought around 2011. I liked it mostly, but I find the padding a bit limited: it's essentially a rectangle of padding in a u-shape that covers both long sides and the base - nothing at the ends, so it was quite easy to knock kit inside from that direction. Is that still the same padding design?  

• Like 1