anti theft camera bag for your M?

leicatraveller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ivan -

If I recall the PacSafes have a steel mesh sewn between the inner and outer fabric of their bags and packs, as well as steel cables in the straps to foil cutting through. I rather like the idea except for the added weight.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mr. B

You might try and carry your equipment in a little girl's Strawberry Shortcake lunch box with some foam padding in the inside. No one would imagine expensive camera equipment would be stored inside. They might be lunch box collectors though.

Regards

Mr. B

Pockets, not bags for questionable places. Lenses go into pockets, camera on a strap under the coat.

Gym bag usually has smelly clothing.

Some bags have both belt and shoulder straps-use both.

Been known to put camera bag inside a cheap plastic store furnished shopping bag

A big roller bag will discourage a runner.

In the end, give it up if there is a confrontation.

Here is an outfit that specializes in secure travel solutions.

Great bags I have had both the Camsafe 100 and Camsafe 200 the larger is the better for a M. I now only have the 200 and it holds all my M4/3 stuff.

As far a being nervous or scared to go out of yours house, till one get a gun stuck to his head ( happened to me in a pizza house when I was 24 years old) and one has to empty out his pockets one has no idea how it feels, just give them what they want. But no punk kid is going to grab my bag and run without having a gun. I do lock my bag when traveling to solid objects.

Edited by leicanut2
add
  • Like 2

Guest WPalank

Think Tank has a great line of products for your purpose in the Airporter line:

Airport Series

I remember one time the only thing in the entire room that was truly bolted down was the toilet and that is what I attached the locking cable around.

Ignore the others as one cannot be in the hotel room at all times. No, nothing will prevent the professional thief, but the maid about to give notice to the hotel might be a problem.

Can't tell you the number of times (especially in Asian Countries) I've found an open door on my hotel floor with a housekeeper and I enter just to ask if I can get an extra soap or something. Before you know it she (or he) says, "I'm sorry sir, I'll get out of your way", and quickly bolts towards the door without even asking for ID or my key.

Can't tell you the number of times (especially in Asian Countries) I've found an open door on my hotel floor with a housekeeper and I enter just to ask if I can get an extra soap or something. Before you know it she (or he) says, "I'm sorry sir, I'll get out of your way", and quickly bolts towards the door...

Try a better brand of deodorant. :p

Just a heads up about the PacSafe mesh cages you can use to enclose your valuables and attach to an immovable object such as a bed frame or bathroom plumbing with a tightly drawn steel cable.

I always thought these were very secure until an experience I had in a LA hotel. On a previous occasion I'd had the need to cut through the restraining cable on a PacSafe and found it difficult and time consuming to do. I had to cut through each strand of the multi strand steel cable one at a time.

In LA I lost the key to the lock and had to ask the hotel engineer for help. He explained he'd met PacSafes before and knew exactly what to do. It took him less than 2 seconds to gain access, cutting through the cable in one go with a very common easily carried tool. Yes, there was a "trick" in how to do it which he demonstrated to me on one of the ends of the now free cable.

After that experience I'm much more careful about what I put in the PacSafe. They're excellent to prevent a quick snatch but no match for a properly equipped thief.

Bob.

• Like 1

.... It took him less than 2 seconds to gain access, cutting through the cable in one go with a very common easily carried tool. Yes, there was a "trick" in how to do it which he demonstrated to me on one of the ends of the now free cable.

Stuart (Stuny),

There you go.

Don't say I didn't warn you. .... :)

Stuart (Stuny),

There you go.

Don't say I didn't warn you. .... :)

The technique demonstrated to me probably wouldn't work on a strap with a cable insert. Together they form a composite with each material requiring a different technique to sever it. In my case it was a bare cable that was easily cut.

Bob.

Ivan -

No security is 100% -- the best we can hope for is delaying the outcome. On the street the Pac-Safe probably works well. Left in a hotel room, where somebody can quietly work on it for a while with tools thieves don't expose on the street is another story. A pair of bolt cutters can liberate the Pac-Safe in just a few seconds.

Edited by stuny
  • Like 2

I have said it before and I shall say it again. I'd rather rely upon insurance than get dragged by my "uncuttable" pacsafe strap down the street behind a bag-snatcher's car...

Security is a state of mind not a state of bag.

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like 1

I have said it before and I shall say it again. I'd rather rely upon insurance than get dragged by my "uncuttable" pacsafe strap down the street behind a bag-snatcher's car...

Have you seen or experienced such, or are you just imaging?

I don't need to imagine. I saw a woman dragged off her feet on a street in Amsterdam some years ago by the strap of her handbag. The mugger was on foot (and probably on drugs). He gave up only when another man grabbed her. Muggers on wheels - cars and particularly mopeds - are nothing new. Good enough for you?

Regards,

Bill

Sent from another Galaxy