Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let folks know that the SL fits in the Overboard 15 litre/£19 waterproof flotation bag (post 133 on this thread) with some room to spare. The bag can be rolled up to take next to no room at all, when no longer required. I will add a shoulder pad to the carry strap for comfort. 

Wilson

• Like 2

I went on my first little trip with the SL over the XDay to NYDay break. I carried the camera, three batteries, Super-Elmar-R 15/3.5, Summilux-R 50/1.4, Elmar-R 180/4, remote cable, tripod plate, three batteries, and lens cleaning stuff in the BLB Oskar's One Day Bag mark II. I also shoved my iPad mini in there too, occasionally. 

As report: It worked well enough, but isn't quite right. The SL is a bit tall for that bag and doesn't fit particularly nicely. Next trip, I'll use the Billingham 225, which has about another inch of front-back space. 

Ramarren, 

Does your Billingham 225 have a thick and stiff grey foam pad at the bottom of the main compartment? It just looks a bit crude by Billingham standards and I wondered if it was an addition by the last owner. 

Wilson

Does your Billingham 225 have a thick and stiff grey foam pad at the bottom of the main compartment? It just looks a bit crude by Billingham standards and I wondered if it was an addition by the last owner. 

The bottom of my 225 is lined with a hard 11x4x0.25 inch board under a stiff foam 12x6x0.67 inch pad, both encased in a sewn-up green cover. There's a two-slot #815 insert in the interior of the bag as well. The insert's padding seems to be a bit collapsed, I should probably have it re-stuffed. The stitching on all the bits seems the same as that on my L2 bag. 

This bag seems to have been made in 1998 as it has a leather medallion stating "1973 - 1998, 25 years of Billingham" sewn on the front of the top overlap. 

The bag that caught my attention currently is Wotancraft Atelier series, attached is Wotancraft Avenger, I think it's the perfect bag for the SL plus second body of an M. 

If you go with Oberwerth the only size that fit Leica SL is Oberwerth Muenchen. My fellow SL users use it.

I have that bag with the waterproof insert ... it is fairly narrow and I have not put it to much use ... but it is gorgeously made ... 

Just need to figure out how to load it.

Bob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The bottom of my 225 is lined with a hard 11x4x0.25 inch board under a stiff foam 12x6x0.67 inch pad, both encased in a sewn-up green cover. There's a two-slot #815 insert in the interior of the bag as well. The insert's padding seems to be a bit collapsed, I should probably have it re-stuffed. The stitching on all the bits seems the same as that on my L2 bag. 

This bag seems to have been made in 1998 as it has a leather medallion stating "1973 - 1998, 25 years of Billingham" sewn on the front of the top overlap. 

Thanks for the info. I will get on to the nice helpful lady at Billingham and see if I can get the correct bottom liner for my bag. I would guess mine is less than 5 years old, as it is in the new material rather than the traditional gaberdine of my Combo M bag and the leather looks much newer than my 10+ year old Combo. The foam insert on my 225 is 11¼" x 5¾" x 1" with rounded corners and looks too crude to be original. It also does not have the stiffening board that yours does, which allows the bag to sag in the middle. 

Wilson

Thanks for the info. I will get on to the nice helpful lady at Billingham and see if I can get the correct bottom liner for my bag. I would guess mine is less than 5 years old, as it is in the new material rather than the traditional gaberdine of my Combo M bag and the leather looks much newer than my 10+ year old Combo. The foam insert on my 225 is 11¼" x 5¾" x 1" with rounded corners and looks too crude to be original. It also does not have the stiffening board that yours does, which allows the bag to sag in the middle. 

The bottom liner on mine is fine, but looking at what's available now, I think I'll just replace the insert with new Superflex insert and dividers. The rest of the bag is in very nice condition, just nicely worn in. Typical Billingham quality.

Just ordered the correct base plate for the 225 direct from Billingham for £12 inc P&P. What a pleasure it always is to deal with them. The delightful young lady who answers the phone for them, just could not be nicer or more helpful. 

Wilson

The smallest one, just the SL plus SL-Zoom and some accesoires (battery, memory cards) will fit in, is the Domke F-5XB. I can even let the lens-hood in place.

I prefer this inconspicuous bag and use it for a couple of years for different equipment. The only drawback: the velcro is loud.

Here is the bag shown:

PS: its not my video!! I just came across it

Edited by saxo

The smallest one, just the SL plus SL-Zoom and some accesoires (battery, memory cards) will fit in, is the Domke F-5XB. I can even let the lens-hood in place.

I prefer this inconspicuous bag and use it for a couple of years for different equipment. The only drawback: the velcro is loud.

My Domke F5XB is ancient, probably more than 20 years old. It's a wonderful compact bag that can hold an amazing amount of gear.  I still use it; it's currently holding my Nikon F6 and three lenses. The SL + 24-90 fits in it about as well as it fits in the Billingham L2: A little bit of a squeeze but comfortably. Over the years, the velcro has become rather quiet, although it's still effective enough to keep the flap secured. 

In recent years, the F5XB has been slightly modified. The overflap is shorter now, and the front pockets slightly different. I notice the stitching isn't quite as nice as it is on my ancient one. 

Sadly, one thing the F5XB cannot do well is carry my camera and lenses along with an iPad mini, which has become an essential part of my photo field kit. So the L2 gets the SL, and the front pocket gets the iPad mini. 

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

I took out of the closet my black DOMKE F-6B Ballistic Nylon.

and the new set of short inserts that I bought in NY this summer.

The partitions inside the new short inserts for the F6 are not fixed anymore. You can move them thanks to Velcro.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Dear all,

great and very beautiful bags I could see here - thanks to all of you! 
In my photographic life I had far more bags than most women handbags. And I always aimed at what every photographer does: minimum size maximum capacity - two, sometimes three bodies plus lenses. After years I found out that F-Stop gear is very practical - so I have the bigger backpack (Tilopa) and the smaller Lotus and a city slinger. To be safe in risky environment I’ve got also a small and a larger pac safe bag. 

On travel for most destinations my gear is too comprehensive for a bag. So I put it into one of the backpacks. (Fortunately most airlines seem to accept the Tilopa as cabin luggage even though it’s a bit oversized.) Actually they are perfect for hiking for hours or days in landscapes. But: Arrived and going for a walk they are very often too bulky! So in my luggage was always a second bag like the pac safe too. What a nightmare!

Now I have the SL and my travel gear became SL plus Lenses and a second body (M or A7RII). And I saw these wonderful beautiful leather bags here etc. I love the aesthetics - however I knew they wouldn’t be sufficient for me - at least for travel. 

Than digitalfx (thanks a lot!!!) showed the peak design everyday messenger here which made me very very curious. Today I received it with a couple of accessories: CapturePro Clip (v2), Slide Strap, Clutch, Capture Tool (very helpful!). 

No - the aesthetic aspect doesn’t really convince me - it's not the main reason to buy this...  :wacko: 
- But I never had a bag which carries so much gear being so compact. 
- I never had something that versatile in combination with other peak design parts - i.e. to attach camera outside with the clip etc. 
- I never carried so much weight so easily due to that amazing belts. (Of course my big backpack is a bit more comfortable but at a size twice as much). 

A very important result for my next trip will be that I don’t need to carry a second bag in my luggage. This messenger makes it all - with a few "extension tricks“. 

I admit - in order to carry as much as possible I made it quite ugly by adding a lens pouch on the bag (for the tripod head, tripod remains in suit case) and a bag on the top flap with the heavy Leica APO Telyt-R 280. 
After arrival at destination I can make a small / medium sized bag out of it. 

So it carries now 2 bodies and - yes - 8 lenses:
SL with 24-90 mounted,
A7RII with APO M 50 mounted,
Noctilux 0.95,
Telyt M 135/3.4
Lux 21,
WATE,
CV 15 V. III (in extra small lens pouch)
Leica R APO Tel 280/4.0 (outside),
RRS tripod head medium (outside),
MacBook Pro 13“ plus charger
iPad, Harddisk,
the strap stored in the top flap - instead of the suggested tripod-leg, 
of course batteries and some parts included the SL charger. 
Weight in the end is almost 15 kg. 

Here some pics (sorry - only made with phone). In case I don’t need to carry more equipment like medium format gear and not being on boats of course - this seems to become my best solution ever to travel.

Best regards lik

First pic: 4 Leica M lenses - horizontal - even the 135mm(!!!) …

Edited by lik
  • Like 2

Sony with APO 50 and a small lens in a pouch…

• Like 1

ThinkTank lens pouch attached to the belt with RRS stuff…

• Like 1

The big and the tiny…

• Like 1

SL attached outside on the clip…

• Like 2

The R 280mm in a not very good looking bottle bag attached with two straps - yes - ugly but for the flight at least a first (not final) solution … 

• Like 1