Which bag for the SL

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Manolo, 

I may end up getting a König Lite 2 early next year, just for protection of the SL only for travel in primitive/dusty vehicles in out of the way places, where I can get away with just the 24-90 and an 18SEM in my pocket (or my wife's handbag - :rolleyes:). In the meantime I have bought this evening, a second hand Billingham 225, supposedly in Exc++ condition, for about 30% of new price. 

Wilson

• Like 1

If you want a "walking around bag" that exactly fits

...the SL with any M-lenses up to an including the 50Noct (or similar sized R-lenses), Tamrac 5513 is an option. The body fits the bag so tightly that the body cannot be blindly dropped into the bag, but fits the bag with some gentle guidance. I use this bag when biking/walking around. Additional lenses have to kept elsewhere, sometimes I add a lens case or two to the shoulder strap. I have used this bag with the M for multi-day skiing/hiking trips for quite some years now. With the M, the bag fits really, really well. It looks like the bag is out of production now, so I have one unused waiting for the currently used to fall apart.

Another holster-type option that works well with the SL, this time with up to two additional M-lenses included in the bag, is Lowepro Toploader Zoom 50 AW II. Here I put two small pouches in the bottom of the bag (in stead of the included divider), like the Lowepro Lens Case 8x6 cm, with the SL (with an M-lens attached) on top. Works well, but is more bulky than the minimalistic Tamrac-option.

For street shooting I usually use a messanger-type of bag. But for biking/hiking/skiing, Tamrac or Lowepro is the preferred option. 

Note that the Tamrac/Lowepro options cannot held the Vario zoom, then the Manfrottto option seems to be the way to go (so thanks for the tip, Peter!).

Other suggestions/experiences out there?

nb: Let me add that I prefer to use a lug-mount wrist strap over the (default) shoulder strap. It could very well be that the Tamrac-option is too small for a shoulder strap, but for e.g. Gordy's strap (or similar wrist straps), no problem...

Edited by helged

nb: Let me add that I prefer to use a lug-mount wrist strap over the (default) shoulder strap. It could very well be that the Tamrac-option is too small for a shoulder strap, but for e.g. Gordy's strap (or similar wrist straps), no problem...

Somewhere in this thread or in another thread, I talked about the SpiderPro hand strap.  I have one and it does work well on the SL. Comfortable and secure.  Mounts under a tripod QR plate.  The only issue is that it is a bit more rigid than it needs to be so it doesn't bend easily when the camera bag is tight.

http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Camera-Holster-SpiderPro-Strap/dp/B00SFGNWPQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1448975743&sr=1-1&keywords=spider+pro+hand+strap

So I picked up a Case Logic hand strap, only $10 on Amazon.  Simpler, softer, maybe not as classy, but it does the job well.  It's strong enough and is comfortable.  And it easily bends to get the camera into a tight camera bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DHS-101-Quick-Black/dp/B009SKPVN4

Only one minor downside, its base screw occupies the tripod mount.  If you do want to put on a QR plate to use a tripod, you need to unscrew the hand strap.  Only a minor issue as it is easy enough  - but just something to be aware of if you are a regular tripod user.

Regards

Peter

• Like 2

Somewhere in this thread or in another thread, I talked about the SpiderPro hand strap.  I have one and it does work well on the SL. Comfortable and secure.  Mounts under a tripod QR plate.  The only issue is that it is a bit more rigid than it needs to be so it doesn't bend easily when the camera bag is tight.

http://www.amazon.com/Spider-Camera-Holster-SpiderPro-Strap/dp/B00SFGNWPQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1448975743&sr=1-1&keywords=spider+pro+hand+strap

So I picked up a Case Logic hand strap, only $10 on Amazon.  Simpler, softer, maybe not as classy, but it does the job well.  It's strong enough and is comfortable.  And it easily bends to get the camera into a tight camera bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DHS-101-Quick-Black/dp/B009SKPVN4

Only one minor downside, its base screw occupies the tripod mount.  If you do want to put on a QR plate to use a tripod, you need to unscrew the hand strap.  Only a minor issue as it is easy enough  - but just something to be aware of if you are a regular tripod user.

Regards

Peter

If you use Arca-Swiss type quick release clamps, the Really Right Stuff "BP-CS: Multi-camera conventional plate" has strap lugs on either side and fits the Leica SL perfectly. It does not block the battery and has an alignment ridge that fits to the front of the camera body, leaving the lens center index easily seen at the rear of the camera when fitted.

With the Case Logic hand strap, you can unthread the provided tripod socket attachment and just thread it through the BP-CS lug. It will work perfectly, allowing you to keep hand strap and tripod mount on the camera all the time. Very handy. 

See: http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BP-CS-Multi-camera-conventional-plate

I haven't used a hand strap much since I stopped using DSLRs on a regular basis, but $10 is cheap and I have the BP-CS already. I'll try it out. The one thing I've disliked about these kinds of straps in the past is that the attachment point is too far inboard of the camera's edge for best comfort and fit... I'll see how this one works out. A hand strap to use with SL+24-90 is almost essential as I'd never want to hang that large and heavy a camera and lens setup around my neck or over my shoulder. 

I keep looking at these lovely plates and heads from folk like Arca Swiss or RRS. The problem is I started with QR plates about 20 years ago, when there was little alternative to the Manfrotto rectangle or pentagon. I opted for the PL12 type rectangular plate. So I now have four tripods, two monopods, various side arms and other attachments and around 8 heads of different sorts but all PL12 QR. It would be a very expensive exercise to replace all that lot. The PL12 system actually works well and snap/pushes into the head, very securely. It is just not very neat and looks a bit agricultural alongside these more sophisticated systems. 

Below is the Billingham 225 I bought S/H for about 30% of list. Apart from a couple of minor marks on the bottom (and who looks at that), it is like new. It is in the Nytex material, which is not quite as nice looking as the Gaberdine Canvas of the Leica/Billy M but probably more practical and stain resistant. It is not as bulky as I feared it might be. I can get the SL, 24-90 lens, a 50/.95 Nocti and 18 SEM in the main compartment. In the side pocket I have a few filters, the SL charger with spare battery in it and the SF-58D flash. There is plenty of room for other spare bits and pieces. The rule is open 10"/25cm to give you an idea of the size. 

Wilson

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the Case Logic hand strap, you can unthread the provided tripod socket attachment and just thread it through the BP-CS lug. It will work perfectly, allowing you to keep hand strap and tripod mount on the camera all the time. Very handy. 

Thanks for the advice.  I really like the RRS equipment (I have one of their tripods and head).  So I have placed an order for the BP-CS.

Regards

Peter

I keep looking at these lovely plates and heads from folk like Arca Swiss or RRS. The problem is I started with QR plates about 20 years ago, when there was little alternative to the Manfrotto rectangle or pentagon. I opted for the PL12 type rectangular plate. So I now have four tripods, two monopods, various side arms and other attachments and around 8 heads of different sorts but all PL12 QR. It would be a very expensive exercise to replace all that lot. The PL12 system actually works well and snap/pushes into the head, very securely. It is just not very neat and looks a bit agricultural alongside these more sophisticated systems. 

Below is the Billingham 225 I bought S/H for about 30% of list. Apart from a couple of minor marks on the bottom (and who looks at that), it is like new. It is in the Nytex material, which is not quite as nice looking as the Gaberdine Canvas of the Leica/Billy M but probably more practical and stain resistant. It is not as bulky as I feared it might be. I can get the SL, 24-90 lens, a 50/.95 Nocti and 18 SEM in the main compartment. In the side pocket I have a few filters, the SL charger with spare battery in it and the SF-58D flash. There is plenty of room for other spare bits and pieces. The rule is open 10"/25cm to give you an idea of the size. 

Wilson

I had Manfrotto RC2 plates and clamps for years. I became exasperated with it, ultimately, when movement of the plates in the clamp made it impossible to position the camera precisely enough and sold all of it. I switched to Arca-Swiss type plates and clamps then and have never looked back. They cost a minor fortune, but they work very very well. 

The Billingham 225 looks like a very good "medium-sized" bag for the SL with 24-90 and a couple of additional lenses. I tried the camera in several of my existing bags with the 24-90 and it just doesn't fit very well, other than the L2 for just the camera and lens, unless I go to my biggest bag (Tenba Messenger Mini), which is bigger than I really want to carry. The Billy 225 sells, typically, for close to $400 in the USA ... I just checked Ebay, saw what looks to be a very clean one for half that—and grabbed it. 

Sigh. Yet Another Bag in the Closet... 

• Like 1

Dug out my Holdfast Roamographer ...... was a bit big for the M so has rarely been used ...... but perfect for the SL + 24-90 and a room for a few more lenses and the sort of junk you tend to take on holiday.

Modified the interior inserts .... bag itself is quite light despite being good quality Bison ...... looks nice and rather atypical for a camera bag .....

Belt straps are studded onto the front, and the other ends can be folded back and fixed out of the way ...... meant to be for carrying a tripod underneath if needed - modified and changed so I can remove them completely if i wish.

Opens like a traditional doctors gladstone bag .... which I'm embarrassed to say I have never owned in 37yrs of medical practice ...... I've used a tatty fake leather washbag on visits for the last 2 decades ..... :rolleyes:

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 3

Dug out my Holdfast Roamographer ...... was a bit big for the M so has rarely been used ...... but perfect for the SL + 24-90 and a room for a few more lenses and the sort of junk you tend to take on holiday.

Modified the interior inserts .... bag itself is quite light despite being good quality Bison ...... looks nice and rather atypical for a camera bag .....

Belt straps are studded onto the front, and the other ends can be folded back and fixed out of the way ...... meant to be for carrying a tripod underneath if needed - modified and changed so I can remove them completely if i wish.

Opens like a traditional doctors gladstone bag .... which I'm embarrassed to say I have never owned in 37yrs of medical practice ...... I've used a tatty fake leather washbag on visits for the last 2 decades ..... :rolleyes:

That's one nice looking bag! 

• Like 1

… So I picked up a Case Logic hand strap, only $10 on Amazon.  Simpler, softer, maybe not as classy, but it does the job well.  It's strong enough and is comfortable.  And it easily bends to get the camera into a tight camera bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-DHS-101-Quick-Black/dp/B009SKPVN4 ...

Peter,

Thanks, it looks very good.  Does the handstrap prevent the side door from being opened or either of the SD cards from being extracted?

Pete.

If you use Arca-Swiss type quick release clamps, the Really Right Stuff "BP-CS: Multi-camera conventional plate" has strap lugs on either side and fits the Leica SL perfectly. It does not block the battery and has an alignment ridge that fits to the front of the camera body, leaving the lens center index easily seen at the rear of the camera when fitted.

I haven't used a hand strap much since I stopped using DSLRs on a regular basis, but $10 is cheap and I have the BP-CS already. I'll try it out. The one thing I've disliked about these kinds of straps in the past is that the attachment point is too far inboard of the camera's edge for best comfort and fit... I'll see how this one works out. A hand strap to use with SL+24-90 is almost essential as I'd never want to hang that large and heavy a camera and lens setup around my neck or over my shoulder. 

I was wondering if you could use the Leather Strap from the Leica 14283 Hand Grip for the R4 Motor Winder.

I don't have it myself, but if the width of the leatherstrap is the right size, you have a nice leather,original, Leica strap in combination with the RRS "BP-CS"

Someone cares to measure one, if you posses the item?

​They cost around 25 euro's on "flea"bay, for a mint one, or less.

Or Leica should produce one again?

Edited by AndreasAM

It looks lovely . . . . . 

but there's a lot of metal around to bash your LCD on . . . 

you would have thought so...... but because of the way it opens it's never really anywhere near the camera .... and you can remove the belt straps if you don't need them for extra security travelling ..... and the shoulder strap unclips in seconds if you want to just carry it with the handles ....

Peter,

Thanks, it looks very good.  Does the handstrap prevent the side door from being opened or either of the SD cards from being extracted?

Pete.

No, it doesn't cover either the memory card door or the battery.  

The lower mount swivels so the hand strap just moves out of the way when you want to open the card door. 

• Like 1

I suppose you could have the ordinary neck strap ending in a carabiner which when you wanted to have the camera round your neck, you could just put into the top loop of the Case Logic hand strap. I find that I am missing the finger loop I have on the M240 and MF grip, for extra stabilisation. The Case Logic might be an answer. There is a UK seller of these on Fleabay. The thing is if I did that I would want to go with the RRS bottom plate, which then means changing tripod heads....................and so on and so on. 

I am slightly surprised that Leica did not put a finger loop socket into the hand grip of the SL. I would have thought there was just about room in front of the battery. 

Wilson

Which raises the question ... no sapphire nor gorilla glass?

Just amazing what they will scrimp on ...

Bob

… The Case Logic might be an answer. There is a UK seller of these on Fleabay. ...

Wilson,

If you do decide to go with the Case hand grip they're for sale on Amazon new for £11.99, which seems to be less than the Fleabay sellers.

Pete.

• Like 1

Pete, 

Thanks for that. I had found the one from the USA on amazon, which at this time of year, might take forever to get here, if it ever did. Courier services are already deteriorating badly pre-Xmas, with deliveries rarely occurring on the scheduled day. I had a special part made for my three wheeler Morgan in Belgium, which is a large lightweight super hard steel sprocket for the back wheel. You would have thought that this was courier proof but no. It looks as if it has been hit, while in transit last week, by a spike with an enormous amount of energy. The flanges are riveted on as they are never meant to be removed and one tooth is cracked. Since it was a custom made part, it will be around April before another one can be made.  :(

With its very close focus, the SL is very useful for this sort of shot. 

Wilson