M8 Upgrade - It's Official!

elviskennedy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ha! Since when are working photographers making the same as doctors and lawyers? ...I just spent $800 for an email list service to drum up work. Pro photogs have a lot of things to spend money on than gear (probably more so).

This goes to show that no matter how much we love Leica equipment, pro photogs have an *arsenal* of gear that they depend on. Well-heeled amateurs that can afford to pony up the cash will decide if this is the way they want to part with their cash. Nothing wrong with that.

Leica runs a business and their new model in the digital age is a brave one - who knows the degree of success they'll have. I think we all hope they do really well. I personally am not at that financial level that I can "do my part." Maybe someday, but not today.

Coincidentally, Olympus just released a new firmware update that helps stabilize legacy and manual lenses as well as a few other improvements - free of cost. Different mentality and corporate culture.

On a side note: I thought the name looked familiar, Charles. Thanks for the great images.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... My M8 has been in the shop for 6 weeks for circuit board and display after failing on a holiday in Cambodia...

Len--when they replaced your circuit board, they installed the latest. My M8 is in for other work, and they specifically said the camera would be upgraded to current electronics as well. Standard procedure with Leica.

Now they're giving you the opportunity to make additional changes. If that offends you, it sounds as if you didn't have a backup body in Cambodia. ;)

--HC

ISO 80 in firmware with the 1/4000 shutter sounds good to me, especially if its quieter :)

(Actually, I'd also like "auto ISO shift" a la Nikon so I can pick an aperture and shutter combo and shoot with well-known points of ISO shift (that's the one auto-fool / safety shift thing I'd like on the M8).

Guest guy_mancuso
Guy,

Any better rendering of thumbnails when shooting RAW only? I find them so all over the place but really see no reason to shoot jpeg as well. I know its best to rely on histogram (which I do) but would be nice to see a close rendering.

Charles

YES you should see a LR library now . It actually looks pretty. It also does a nice job of holding a WB as you shoot the same subject and does not bounce like before. I think i have seen one or two real misses, that is pretty damn good

... why are we using an F1 or 1.4 lens in a situation where the light is that bright and you don't want to stop down at all ???

Some people like to use shallow depth of field as an artistic tool.

(Actually, I'd also like "auto ISO shift" a la Nikon so I can pick an aperture and shutter combo and shoot with well-known points of ISO shift (that's the one auto-fool / safety shift thing I'd like on the M8).

Ditto that, even if it means an extra menu level!

--HC

Guest guy_mancuso
ISO 80 in firmware with the 1/4000 shutter sounds good to me, especially if its quieter :)

I agree Jamie i don't mind losing the 1/8000 of a shutter but just want to gain that stop back on the ISO for the sunlit wide open shots. It's so bright here in the Southwest of the US that i am often on the edge. That one is a concern for me.

This goes to show that no matter how much we love Leica equipment, pro photogs have an *arsenal* of gear that they depend on. Well-heeled amateurs that can afford to pony up the cash will decide if this is the way they want to part with their cash. Nothing wrong with that.

Leica runs a business and their new model in the digital age is a brave one - who knows the degree of success they'll have. I think we all hope they do really well. I personally am not at that financial level that I can "do my part." Maybe someday, but not today.

{snipped}.

I actually think it's the exact opposite, and that Simon is right. While well-heeled amateurs may have discretionary funds, this is a complete ace-in-the-hole for pros.

In Canada, anyway, I can write off COMPLETELY the cost of the upgrade as maintenance in the same tax year.

I have to amortize new camera equipment over 18 months (if they claim it as a computer) or three years (if they claim it as a camera).

I know which is better for my bottom line! And for my subsequent ability to invest.

To say nothing of the 50% loss I took on my 1ds2 sale (which admittedly would have been mostly covered by tax amortization anyway).

As an aside, I can't imagine not having a backup as a pro. Just me, maybe, but you gotta have a backup. Everything fails sometimes. Now that doesn't mean I have a backup M8. But, depending on what they say about the R system, this approach means it's far more likely for me to have another M8 as well.

I have a hard time seeing this as anything but good news. I'll have to see the results of the upgrade before I even consider it.

Ever since plopping down the money for this camera, I've been worried about the introduction of the M9 (and what that might mean for the M8) - it is highly unlikely that I'll ever spend $5,000 on a camera again. Knowing that Leica is planning to offer a path of upgrades over the coming years removes a lot of the anxiety.

Actually, I do see one group that might be sad about this news: All those people who thought the release of an M9 would create a flood of used M8s on the market. If this upgrade system works, its going to maintain upward pressure on the prices of used M8s.

Maybe someone already told you guys wondering about what "Sapphire glass" is...

Sapphire glass is not made as normal glass or plastics. Saphire glass is made from high pressure, just as a Diamond is made from carbon. Ofcourse the Saphire glass is not nearly as strong as a Diamond, but it still is VERY strong. And expensive to make in large non standardized forms.

As an aside, I can't imagine not having a backup as a pro. Just me, maybe, but you gotta have a backup. Everything fails sometimes. Now that doesn't mean I have a backup M8. But, depending on what they say about the R system, this approach means it's far more likely for me to have another M8 as well.

With Jamie all the way. I only make 30% or so of my annual income through photography, but I still have backup - 2 M8s / 2 EOS DSLRs. I wouldn't go out on a job without - and hey - it's SO much easier with two bodies!

Still pleased with what Leica's doing here!

--HC

If you need to use F1 or 1.4 or 2 in bright light (!?) as an artistic tool then you should know how to be creative... If you can get limited DOF with a 4:3 sensor at F 5.5 (hey, we use what we can afford) then people are being really picky.

The M is not a camera for macros.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1070/676217705_21a325c3d7_b.jpg

676217705_21a325c3d7_b.jpg

It's a snapshot, it's not perfect, the jpg looks muddy here etc etc etc. I like snapshots of flowers, what can I say? :-)

Originally Posted by ho_co

........a pity that most just abuse shallow DOF coming up with out of wack images. 3% in focus the rest a real fuzzy blur has no merit

ps most of the population will just see it a rap out of focus photo and they are probably right

Just recieved the Email from Leica. I'm thinking in all the rumors that have been writtten in the last weeks. :confused:

Now Leica try a new strategy suprising us completely. Now an upgrade but in the future more... I'm not sure how all of these is going to affect me. Should I upgrade now or should I wait until the next upgrade? Should I upgrade each time. I have to thing again everything. I was saving some coins in my little pink pig for my future M9.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm after electronic frame lines myself. Sorry folks that is the FIRST question I will ask. LOL

You're my hero.

Seriously.

All I want is a frameline mask that shows the coverage at 1 meter, like for example the M4 did. It doesn't even have to be for all focal lengths. I'll settle for 28 and 35mm.

Please, Leica? I don't really care if you rob me blind for a 5x5mm piece of metal.

I'll even my an M8.2.

To me, it looks like Leica is folllowing the model of other more successful German companies. Mercedes offers a 'face lift' every 3 years before a new model. ( I suppose that this is better than every 6 months to keep the wheels in motion in Japan.

Just keep the money rolling in! It may well guarantee the future development plan for the M9 and keep the company viable. But for users on a budget it is still a bitter pill to swallow. Especially if you have only just bought your M8.

A very expensive facelift to be sure. A $4 screen protector would suffice and a free software upgrade would suit most loyal followers.

A quieter slower shutter and 80 asa could have been left for the M9 ?

Ditto that, even if it means an extra menu level!

--HC

Howard, I'm SOOOO with you here. Of COURSE we need to be able to shoot wide open in broad daylight. Some of my best shots this year have been at 6000th or 8000th fro exactly that reason - but I would happily settle for ISO 80 and a quieter shutter.

I got the announcement e-mail in Germany, too. Unfortunately, it's very difficult to read because Leica failed to post an e-mail that can handle German umlauts. The German word for "while" reads "„W�hrend"... :D

So, „W�hrend I find the idea of having an upgradable camera in my possession quite appealing and reassuring in principle, I am somewhat puzzled by the upgrade features offered:

AWB - The whole point of the M8 is a welcome return to manual control for the photographer who cares. AWB is the first thing i turn off with any digital camera,be it a Canon DSLR, or a Leica...

Sapphire Glass - My screens never seem to scratch, but if they did: so what? Users of classical M cameras have always been proud when the brass started to shine through the chrome or balck paint finish...

Quieter Shutter - great! But for what price? 1.200.- Euros and a slower shutter? Why do we pay for the best lenses of the world with max apertures of 1.4 or even 1.0? How come the only company that makes lenses like that produces a digital camera which offers ISO 160 as its lowest film speed (which is acutally closer to ISO 200 in real life)? What about ISO 100 or, better still, ISO 50? Should we take our Summiluxes and Noctiluxes, stop them down, lose DOF and invite focus shift?

What about high ISO performance?

What about venetian blinds, madly scrolling menus, camera lock-ups?

In August or September 2008, will I have an almost two year old upgraded camera that will have cost me a total of 5.400.- Euros (or 8.000.- US$) and that will still have all these flaws?

Guy,

will you please ask them what they intend to do about all the flaws and glitches?

{snipped}But for users on a budget it is still a bitter pill to swallow. Especially if you have only just bought your M8.

A very expensive facelift to be sure. A $4 screen protector would suffice and a free software upgrade would suit most loyal followers.

A quieter slower shutter and 80 asa could have been left for the M9 ?

I do not understand this sentiment at all!

If you just bought your M8, how is the M8.2 / upgrade announce any different or more bitter than a theoretical M9 being announced?

The firmware that was announced IS FOR THE CURRENT M8--so you have your free software upgrade. Available Feb. 1, evidently, and from Guy's shots, looks pretty good too.

If you don't want the quieter shutter and sapphire screen protector pretend that it is the M9 and congratulate yourself on not being conned into spending $1800 extra on those features :)

The nice thing about this is that if you change your mind, you can get the goods without having to sell your current body and buy a new model!

If Leica maintains support for the M8 base, how can being able to upgrade possibly be bad? :) You don't have to do it!