M8 Upgrade - It's Official!

elviskennedy

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What about venetian blinds, madly scrolling menus, camera lock-ups?

Cleaned up . I still have a battery issue though and it may very well be a bad battery in my kit. I have six and i keep forgetting to pull the bad one out and put it somewhere to do a recycle on. We will have to see how that is with everyone. Hope to get more info. soon though and the firmware will be out for the public on the 1st. Hopefully New Zealand time since there so far ahead in time than us. LOL

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Guy,

Please ask for a hardware update regarding dust removing from the sensor, that would be nice too I think.

Theo

I don't know why they don't use the PanaLeica Oly system?! It's efficient, the best one on the market, and they already have contacts with the company that has the patent. Seems silly that the $5000 camera body doesn't have what a $500 camera body does in that regard.

I don't know why they don't use the PanaLeica Oly system?! It's efficient, the best one on the market, and they already have contacts with the company that has the patent. Seems silly that the $5000 camera body doesn't have what a $500 camera body does in that regard.

I am agree on that Dana, have to push Guy for asking Leica that. It saves hours in photoshop, despite my cleaning the sensor.

Theo

Strategically interesting in terms of niche positioning within the digital camera market... and the availablilty of this kind of continued support is just what I wanted to hear from Leica. Maxed out the amount of money I could justify spending on a camera getting the Mk I though, so it might be a while until I'm applying for the upgrade... but I'll be grateful for it being available when I do!

This really has to be very good news indeed for both existing and prospective customers. Yes it means spending more money in the short term, when was it any other way with Leica, but in the longer term it promises to lock in healthier residual values for our M8's and negate the need to change bodies every eighteen months or so. As Jamie said, a win win situation for all concerned, if the strategy is managed properly.

It might just be that this move comes to be seen as a stroke of management brilliance from Leica, coming soon as a case study to an MBA school near you.

Steve

I guess I'd feel a little bit like a chump in going for this upgrade. You can get the firmware upgrade for free, which means your $1800 will pay for two things: a new LCD cover-glass, and a quieter shutter that drops a stop in range.

The sapphire glass would be purely a luxury for me -- absolutely unnecessary from a functional point of view.

I understand that some people would really like -- an even need, for some applications, like chamber music recitals -- a quieter shutter. So would I, but for me, it's not critical; certainly not $1800 critical, and as far as I can see, that's about all the real function I'd get from the upgrade.

The firmware upgrade seems to me to be the most important part of this deal...and that's free and has zero turn-around time. It's quite welcome.

(If I *were* going for the upgrade, the shutter better be absolutely blinkin' silent.)

JC

Make all the jokes you want, this is exactly the tack we need Leica to take.

1. If our sensor were superceded, we might have expected an M9 (gee, have there been any threads about this?). That would mean (a) the value of our M8's would decline, and (B) we'd have to buy a new kilobuck body.

2. If we can upgrade the body -- exactly what I wanted, for one -- then for a little money we get an M9! And we don't have to throw the M8 away.

3. This allows us to "fix" things, like a noisy shutter (of course, we'll have to wait to see if the new shutter is actually quieter or just different).

For me, the owner of only one M8 body, there are 2 choices.

I need at least one body, so I should either buy a new M8 (and it would have to have all the current mods in it) or buy one from Guy who would then buy a new one and I'd send one of my (now) two M8's off for a mod.

This is GREAT news. BTW, I got my email at 2:30 East Coast time.

I guess I'd feel a little bit like a chump in going for this upgrade. You can get the firmware upgrade for free, which means your $1800 will pay for two things: a new LCD cover-glass, and a quieter shutter that drops a stop in range.

The sapphire glass would be purely a luxury for me -- absolutely unnecessary from a functional point of view.

I understand that some people would really like -- an even need, for some applications, like chamber music recitals -- a quieter shutter. So would I, but for me, it's not critical; certainly not $1800 critical, and as far as I can see, that's about all the real function I'd get from the upgrade.

The firmware upgrade seems to me to be the most important part of this deal...and that's free and has zero turn-around time. It's quite welcome.

(If I *were* going for the upgrade, the shutter better be absolutely blinkin' silent.)

JC

I have to agree here. I am wondering what the price will be for an actually significant upgrade like a higher ISO, better sensor.

A quieter shutter and new LCD should be no more than $800 in my opinion.

Before selling my last 5D, I sent it in to CPS to get the once over. The on and off switch was on the fritz and it needed a good clean and check. Well, when it came back, not only was everything fixed to perfection, the entire back of the camera was replaced giving it a brand new LCD!

All of that in 4 days for $190.00

This will be very interesting to see what actually happens....

I think this is a very good move. If the 1200 Euro price tag is realistic, then, for 25% of the current UK list I get a better LCD cover, a quieter shutter, a CLA, a new two year warranty and they'll pick it up from my house and return it done.

Quote from email:

Scratch-proof sapphire glass cover for the LCD monitor.

• Noise-optimized shutter with a fastest speed of 1/4000s.

• If so desired, the camera will be picked up at your home and sent directly back to you, without any intermediary stage in the process.

• Health-check and complete adjustment of the camera, testing all its functions.

• Installation of the newest relevant firmware.

• New factory warranty of two years covering the same conditions as for a new camera.

We can always ask for more, but what's not to like about this or the principle involved.

I'm no Leica fanboy, but kudos to Leica for this one.

Best

Gid

The announcement, which I got this afternoon, seems likely to reduce or even stop M8 (and even some competitors') sales until the situation clarifies. The early announcement does seem to protect those on the brink of a purchase. But it seems to me until there are a lot more details (starting with price), doing nothing will be the necessary default response for many.

Some may well want to wait until enough modified M8s get into user hands before deciding. If there are delays in getting to market, the prolonged uncertainty may be unsettling.

It seems clear we have to wait, but until when and for what is unclear now and for some unknown time going forward.

Of course, while waiting, we can always buy lenses.

"A quieter shutter and new LCD should be no more than $800 in my opinion."

Thats even too much.

My friend exchanged the shutter for 1ds, I think it was about 250 Eur...

They offer not a new LCD, (and this one needs better darks) but only cover glass...

Well, while it sounds really expensive for what you get I don't know what exactly they are doing to the shutter and how complicated it is. The shutter noise has kept some from buying the camera so for some it's a very big deal. I wonder if it improves the feel of the shutter as well.

Although I won't be laying out the cash for this particular upgrade anytime soon I do think the idea is brilliant. No camera manufacturer gives another thought to a digicam once it's out. It's on to the next model. You can get the upgrades that are important and of value to you and skip those that aren't worth it for your particular way of working. But the thought that the camera will get ongoing support and improvement (albeit at Leica prices) is unique and a good thing.

Congrats to Mr Lee...This is great news for all M8 users. In a world full of "Built in obsolescence" (particularly in electronics,) where companys drink you in and spit you out, ready for the next mug to come along ....this is what I have been waiting for. We have a choice ...do it!! or dont do it!!! it is up to you..... And if this is great for Leica too .......then all the better.

Quad Hifi in the UK have done a similar thing over the years , and there customer loyalty was was second to none. They have now been taken over but upgrades are still possible.

I think some are confusing two issues. Read the email.

1) On Feb 1, the expected M8 firmware update will be posted on the Leica web site, free to all who have M8s. Leica and Guy have already mentioned some of its benefits.

2) If one purchases the upgrade, which includes some kind of change to the shutter, Leica will update the firmware to match. Seems to me that goes without saying; don't know why they mention that at all. Sort of like saying "And if you order the new car, we'll even see to it that it's painted in the color you want."

I may be misunderstanding the posts, but don't conflate the standard M8 firmware change with the change necessitated by the new version of the camera.

--HC

Guest tummydoc

I agree with you there. However it does seem a bit dubious (and perhaps this is because I am not a computer programmer) that Leica will continue indefinitely with parallel firmware for cameras with and without upgrades, especially as there come to be several upgrade packages. At some time it seems inevitable that one will have to upgrade in order to benefit from future firmware 'tweaks'. But maybe not.

I really dont understand all the people complaining.

Its an offer - everybody can decide if he wants to buy or not.

Other brands just bring a new model and dont offer an upgrade.

If its worth the money - well, everbody can decide on his own. (I find it expensive though if the price is the speculated 1200 €)

Personally I dont know yet, dont care much about the screen - but a quit shutter sounds good.

cheers, tom