M8 Upgrade - It's Official!

elviskennedy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think you did! But it raises another question: many Leica lenses are very very fine wide open, and that gives one the choice not only of low light shooting but also of DOF and bokeh in normal daylight. Unless of course the high base ISO of 160 and the brightness of the day means that you need a 1/8000th exposure to allow you the aperture you want to use.

I agree, it doesn't have to be very bright to prevent you using a lens wide open with ISO 160 and even 1/8000.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso
Great shots Guy! Do you have a link to the firmware?

No I don't Carlos and not sure why the 1st of Feb. but they maybe just fine tuning it or i asked to also include what was in it overall so maybe there still writing that for us. Nice to know what they have done on paper so there is no speculation on what was done. I will be looking for more shots i have done with it though and post, I think now it was announced i can certainly show and talk about it. And again sorry for the hints folks, i thought two days ago it was to be released at least that is what i had in a e-mail. They must of wanted to wait for everything to be announced all at once. I also think there are more announcements though with other products , so I think there not finished yet.

Guest tummydoc

Who's going put their money down until we know how quiet a "noise optimised shutter" is? I think we need some WAV files or a trusted assessment. Maybe the shutter doesn't exist yet. Not impressed by the loss of 1/8000, I assume they will be replacing the shutter speed dial.

All in all, a bit of a damp squib...

After my initial experience with the M8, I will not be an early-adopter again. As a matter of fact it makes more sense to me to do the upgrade closer to the point my warranty is due to expire, so as to maximise the value of the added two years.

Guy,

3 questions for the Leica crew:

1) Any fast wide lens on the docket?

2) Any possibilities of a new sensor upgrade?

3) Any chance I can get a gold plated toilet?

Peter

Lord knows what you'd have to screw on to the front of the toilet to make it work correctly...

:p

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Guy,

3 questions for the Leica crew:

1) Any fast wide lens on the docket?

3) Any chance I can get a gold plated toilet?

Peter

The gold plated toilet is a option they can get out right away. LOL

Guest tummydoc
I have had it for several weeks now and it really does a much much better job on AWB and also the presets for different lighting conditions. Frankly i have shot a lot in the last several weeks with it in bunch of lighting scenes. daylight is very good and so is believe it or not fluorescent is really well done . Tungsten still looks very well balanced,

I found the pre-sets already to be very good and I thought that was the general concensus as well. Is the AWB really fixed, at least can one now take a string of shots in the same light and they all come out the same vs some of them totally blue or green or yellow as before?

Frankly, I like the concept. While I surely won't go in for the upgrade this round, I may in a couple of years, when we have a better sensor and maybe some other nice added benefits. It makes the price of the camera feel a lot better, knowing that it will be supported and upgradeable for the future, and hopefully it will be a good marketing strategy for Leica.

Carlos--

The email says the new firmware will be available from Feb 1.

It also says that if you got the first email, you're on the list to get one advising you of the link to the download.

Otherwise, just go to the usual download site.

--HC

Guy

.I have a queston or 2.

In thye shots you posted on the new firmware, was the wb improvements with or without the ir cut filter?

How much is the upgrade

How long will the camera be away?

I too will be at PMA. We have a booth R257 - JumpStart Guides. I'd like to meet you. I have a project in mind.

If anyone else is there, Please drop by

DBK

{snipped}

{snipped}

To me this is the clear implication of an upgradeable platform. And, while I agree with Mani about Leica not doing this for the environment per se, I do think this could be one of those win/win environmental choices where what's better for the environment is also better for customers. (FWIW, I just heard a marketing report from a university on the radio this am that said in general it costs a company 7 or 8X the money to attract new customers than retain their existing ones, which is interesting in this light)...

The initial upgrade pack may not be that exciting (though the quieter shutter sounds really good to me), but I'm betting when there's improvements to IR filters or a bigger frame sensor, well, then there will be a line up (and new sales of the M8, since upgradeability has to be one more reason to buy into a system with fabulous glass!).

I will be at PMA on Saturday and i do have meetings setup with Leica so hopefully i can get even more detail from those meeting that i can bring to the forum and such. If folks have questions on what they would like me to ask , than please start a thread and i can bring it to the

table and hopefully get answers for you. Have a great day

Thanks Guy. Very kind proposal!

i'd probably trade the change in shutter speed for a quieter shutter, but how much more quieter would it be? and of course cost will be an issue too.

here's a question... how much would leica have to charge in order for your to purchase this kit? alternatively, does the new features make you want to purchase the kit?

as for firmware, Guy, thanks for the sample photos. iwhen i use my M8 for party shots or just goofing around pics, i'd rather use JPEG just because i don't want to spend time in post for these type of pics. now with an adjusted AWB, it makes things alot better for me.

Guest guy_mancuso

Darren . Would love to stop by Jack and i are traveling to Vegas than on to our workshop in Moab but we do have meetings with leica and we will get a chance to talk about this upgrade and ask some real questions. the one i want to know if you give me 1/4000 than give me back a stop with ISO 80 for wide open shooting. Can that be done is one question. Of course timing and all that , so i am going to try and compile a list of questions and see what we can get from the meeting to post. I did this last year with Leica and we did get our firmware questions answered and actually published on the Leica web site.Maybe we can do the same, i know folks have a lot of questions about this and so do I.

I shoot everything with IR filters on except my 12mm. so yes they are with Leica IR filters on. and actually just a very slight correction maybe 200k and those are the results which is pretty darn good because before i had to go maybe 400 to 600k change to get the same results last year i did this show. Honestly 200k was pretty picky too on my part the did look good out of the can

The announcement of an upgradable M8 platform is exactly what I wished for when buying this camera: new sensor, electronics. This saves us all from buying another thing where the rest of it is all the same: body, rf, and so on. The announcement is very welcome.

Guy, what he said about the fast, wide, prime. Tell 'em at least one customer is already setting the dough aside.

Regards,