Conversions, upgrades, modiefied ones

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, Shac said:

Sorry about that Philip - I'm making too many mistakes these days - It's a Leica II with the diopter adjustment added. After that photo was taken, I had strap lugs added too.

😸

No need to apologise, Shac, I assure you!

I only really noticed because I was spending time admiring your II + Color-Skopar pairing. Beautiful combination! Having lugs fitted just adds a bit more cream to the cake IMO.

Had you lived here in the UK I would have asked after the name of the craftsman who carried out the 'lugs' modification for you. I'd very much like to do the same thing with a Leica 1 which I have but don't use often as I would like as I don't enjoy carrying it around in a case. I should, perhaps, do some digging...

Out of in

• Like 1

Upgraded leica No. 226 does not have the original Anistigmat lens unfortunately.  It has an unnumbered Elmar. Probably, the original lens was modified to interchangeable thread and returned to the customer; then sometime later the original lens was separated from the camera and lost any traceability back to this camera.

I would roughly guess that as many as 20-30% of the original Anastigmat cameras were upgraded to interchangeable (threaded) lenses, and of those maybe one-half or more still have the Anastigmat lens (now threaded) attached, the remainder, like mine, have lost the original lens.

vor 4 Stunden schrieb alan mcfall:

I would roughly guess that as many as 20-30% of the original Anastigmat cameras were upgraded to interchangeable (threaded) lenses, and of those maybe one-half or more still have the Anastigmat lens (now threaded) attached, the remainder, like mine, have lost the original lens.

Do you know of any „updated“ separate Anastigmats with threadmount?

15 hours ago, pippy said:

Had you lived here in the UK I would have asked after the name of the craftsman who carried out the 'lugs' modification for you. I'd very much like to do the same thing with a Leica 1 which I have but don't use often as I would like as I don't enjoy carrying it around in a case. I should, perhaps, do some digging...

I would think if anyone can here in UK it will be Leica repairs and repaints | Bury | Cameraworks-uk

Only a paying customer, did an excellent M2 repaint  for me some years ago and make some parts themselves. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

Upgraded leica No. 226 does not have the original Anistigmat lens unfortunately.  It has an unnumbered Elmar. Probably, the original lens was modified to interchangeable thread and returned to the customer; then sometime later the original lens was separated from the camera and lost any traceability back to this camera.

They would have needed to have a 39mm thread added as the original I Model A lenses had a 33mm thread. I covered this in my recent Zoom/You Tube talk on the first interchangeable lens Leicas which were modified in Britain and I was surprised at the number of people who did not know about this.

William 

17 hours ago, pippy said:

😸

No need to apologise, Shac, I assure you!

I only really noticed because I was spending time admiring your II + Color-Skopar pairing. Beautiful combination! Having lugs fitted just adds a bit more cream to the cake IMO.

Out of in

Phillip – the camera came with the variable diopter, but the strap lugs were attached by the late  Horst Wentzel in Vancouver

Glad you like the combo by the way - it not only looks nice but it's a pleasure to use

David

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 hours ago, UliWer said:

Do you know of any „updated“ separate Anastigmats with threadmount?

Camera 151 shown in Viewfinder 14-2 and camera 173 shown in viewfinder 16-4, both have anistigmat lenses that have been converted to the interchangeable, 39mm thread mount. I have recorded a couple  more that were advertised but without photo to confirm. It's been over 25 years since I last saw an anistigmat lens for sale separately without camera, I regret not buying it.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

Camera 151 shown in Viewfinder 14-2 and camera 173 shown in viewfinder 16-4, both have anistigmat lenses that have been converted to the interchangeable, 39mm thread mount. I have recorded a couple  more that were advertised but without photo to confirm. It's been over 25 years since I last saw an anistigmat lens for sale separately without camera, I regret not buying it.

They and Elmax conversions appear on ‘upgraded’ cameras at auction from time to time. I don’t recall ever seeing an Anastigmat lens for sale on its own. I have a couple of modified Elmars from I Model As, one on a camera that had been modified to a Standard and one on its own. Both were significantly shorter in length than items on the I A cameras. Jerzy and I did an exercise in measuring early Elmars some years ago. It must have been the increase in mount size from 33mm to 39mm that caused this. The mount for the I Model A also needs careful positioning of the lens at c 7 or 8 O’Clock as it is being attached, hence the dots or arrows on the early British conversions, both on the camera and on the lens, to create the first ever interchangeable lens Leicas.When I first took a lens off a I Model A to measure it I had difficulty remounting it until Jerzy told me how to do this. 

William 

On 4/20/2024 at 3:26 PM, willeica said:

They would have needed to have a 39mm thread added as the original I Model A lenses had a 33mm thread. I covered this in my recent Zoom/You Tube talk on the first interchangeable lens Leicas which were modified in Britain and I was surprised at the number of people who did not know about this.

William 

Have you seen this ?

https://mwclassic.com/product/dallmeyer-4-inch-f5-6-tele-anastigmat-lens-no-147600-with-iris-diphragm-in-original-leica-l39-screw-mount-lens-made-for-the-leica-i-model-c-non-standard-mount-camera-would-have-been-matched-to-th/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/21/2024 at 4:51 AM, alan mcfall said:

As this one... not for cheap 😉 https://www.leitz-auction.com/en/Anastigmat-3.5-50mm/AI-22-14634

• Like 2

New member here. This is my Leica 1 serial number 3395 made in June 1927, converted to a II in November 1937 (information from Leica records). I got it with a 1934 Summar lens. This is a regular user for me, following a needed CLA.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8