M8 Upgrade - It's Official!

elviskennedy

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Updated data posting it on all the M8 threads

Hi folks just got off the phone with my Leica rep which is in Vegas and called me right after there marketing meeting to get me more info on this upgrade.

Okay here we go please bear with me .

The shutter that will be put in on the upgrade is a completely new shutter and the old one will be replaced completely by a new shutter. The new shutter has titanium blades, is electronically controlled and has enhanced vibration capabilities to help improve image quality by a more vibration free shutter . Now the shutter has been heavily dampened to reduce noise , said to sound just like a traditional M film body, I mentioned like a M6 or 7 and said exactly like it. The shutter also will have a flash sync of 1/80 of a second and a top speed of 1/4000 of a second . Also It comes with a full 2 year warranty top to bottom and a sapphire LCD replacement for the LCD display which is 5x stronger than glass. This is for 1st owners only for the warranty, that part is sketchy

Here is the biggy. The M8 as it is today and in the future will have available upgrades into the future with new advancements in upgrading. Bottom line the M8 will always be a upgradable camera.

The cost and this is approximate because the market or whatever can change around 1800 US . The turn time is said to be 4 weeks and they mentioned they will give me a lot more details on Saturday with more information. i also mentioned the questions and they said please compile that so they can answer all of the questions. So please let's keep that question thread in order so i can compile all the data and get that going.

Please don't shoot me , I am trying to help provide as best the data as i can. Thanks Guy

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Len--when they replaced your circuit board, they installed the latest. My M8 is in for other work, and they specifically said the camera would be upgraded to current electronics as well. Standard procedure with Leica.

Now they're giving you the opportunity to make additional changes. If that offends you, it sounds as if you didn't have a backup body in Cambodia. ;)

--HC

Well we will have to see about the upgrade once I receive the camera. Right know its scheduled for the open market. I did have a back-up albeit a D100 w/70-200 vr but given the unique situation I was in I would have preferred Leica with the 35mm.

Leonard

Guest guy_mancuso

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will do that , you guys are running the same questions i have in my head also. What upgrades are there can you split them can you add at anytime. What's available 6 months from now. Hell this list could go on forever. I know somethings i would want like electronic frame lines, how long do i have to wait for that and so on. yea a load of questions with this. I have a feeling my list will be 10 pages long . What the hell am i get myself into here. ROTFLMAO. Well if it can help us than so be it. The nice thing is a enjoy sitting down with the Leica folks and chatting about this stuff and even better they do listen to me and it helps them understand from a shooters prespective. I should add my friend Sean Reid does a lot of this also with leica and they do get some great input from him also.

If I were a senior VIP inside Leica who have contributed to the development of film Ms, I would told the kids that, well, this is a nice M8 camera, digital, right?:confused::(

How come the shutter is so loud? Where is our rugged camera body, the LCD glass so easy got scratched. Could I get a decent pic (jpeg) right the way, without the hassle ... of RAW...? Last but not least, my 35lux turned into a 50!

The three easy upgraded is done for the old man. A FF sensor would be the next.

foolstop

Guest guy_mancuso

More data from Leica

Hi Guy,

The flash sync is 1/180...

The M8 will be available “New” with or without the upgrade...

Along with the upgrade comes a complete “CLA Equivalent”...

The edge of a Panerai's crystal is recessed/enclosed within the bezel. Some others (Rolexes for example) have the edge raised and beveled, and tend to chip. Unless they change the design, the M8's LCD is also raised and beveled around the edge. Sapphire crystals also crack and shatter. Because these are unsupported except at the perimeter, the larger the surface area the more prone to cracking they are from impact. The LCD is certainly larger in area than any wristwatch I'm aware of.

I have had a watch with the raised and beveled Sapphire crystal for 13 years. I have dropped it on rocks. concrete, and wacked it against a rough concrete pillar - among other things, I'm sure.

It looks just like new (the crystal that is) with no chips or even scratches, I wouldn't worry about an M8 LCD with that glass covering it.

The edge of a Panerai's crystal is recessed/enclosed within the bezel. Some others (Rolexes for example) have the edge raised and beveled, and tend to chip. Unless they change the design, the M8's LCD is also raised and beveled around the edge. Sapphire crystals also crack and shatter. Because these are unsupported except at the perimeter, the larger the surface area the more prone to cracking they are from impact. The LCD is certainly larger in area than any wristwatch I'm aware of.

I have a 1978 Rolex Datejust with raised and bevelled Sapphire glass that I wear everyday to work and it has no chips. I can't see that there would be a problem with a Sapphire glass LCD on the M8.

Pete.

1978 Rolex's came with acrylic crystals...unless yours was upgraded to Sapphire. :) Heh.

Sapphire will crack, and shatter, but it won't chip...if it chips, it's been shattered. Mine shattered when it landed flat on ceramic tile.

But can you drill it? :D

I am not complaining. The Hasselblad upgrade from the H3D to the H3DII is $15,000. There is some difference in the images due to much lower heat for that camera, but $1800 upgrade for the M8 after two very intensive years of use sounds reasonable. I will probably have taken 25,000 images with it by then.

David

...... Bottom line the M8 will always be a upgradable camera......

Guy - That's the good bit, but people's expectations for a quiet shutter could be far too optimistic. I thought that we'd established that the M8's principal noise problem is the rewind and not the shutter. It will be interesting to see what advances become available for the camera.

.................. Chris

Guy

Unless the forum can answer it my question for Leica is when I look at a picture on the LCD and start to scroll could there be a percentage figure telling you what point you are at. For those who shoot raw and sharpen its generally accepted that you sharpen a picture on your computer screen when you are viewing part of it at 100% .

With my camera when I shoot and review I would like to have some way of knowing what each click of the scroll is, and when do you reach 100% and more?

My second question would be when will Leica come down the track of working with a maker of data projectors which will show the quality of pictures we have had in the past with slides and Leica slide projectors.

Features to include;

~Leica projection lens

~Largest possible flash memory. (Removable upgradeble)

~LCD touch screen to allow set up of shows, ordering slides, etc

~Battery to allow hour or three of LCD screen setup, review

~Mini screen hi performance fabric (crease resistant) that can be packed away small, but so light it can hang on any picture hook in any room.

~This lightweight Data projector can be screwed onto a tripod so you have an instant platform (assuming you have a tripod)

~SD card slot

~Flash memory USB

~Blue tooth