romanus53

Conversions, upgrades, modiefied ones

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In some other threads such cameras appear but I think we should give them an own thread. So I just  want to share some pictures, let's start with a Leica I form 1931 upgrades to a Leica II:

The lens, still without number, has an IR-Index so the conversion might be done after 1935, body has no hidden window on the back the model with fixed lens needed to adjust, no "toilet-seat"-window either; what yo cannot see is an ugly "wild" flash sync at the rear beneth the accessory-shoe.

Edited by romanus53

A Leica I from 1929 converted to Model II and flash-synced at the factory

Wind- and rewind-knobs are chrome, body vastly modiefied as the coverd hole for long-time-selector for Model III indicates, no screw on top at flash-number 11 position. The glas from the original lens without number was remounted in a new body with new f-stops running to f16 and the scales are red with diamond-shaped Index, no coating added though.

Edited by romanus53

Leica I from 1930 converted to Standard

This one came with a VIDOM and a longer lens my dealer refused to trade in, so first upgrade to interchangeble lenses might occur around 1936. Later around 1950 the camera war repaired or better say rebuild, got a chrome body and the lens was new mounted, f-stop running to 16, lens still without number and no coating.

Edited by romanus53

All the above shown cameras have remounted lenses, all looking different

Left the nickel on from 1931, the one from 1930 modified around 1950, the early one from 1929 modified to red-scale diamond and one from 1937 coated later

note the different height from formerly fixed lenses in the middle to the later

Edited by romanus53

Leica IIc sharkskin from 1948 modified to IIIf

This one got the long exposure times but no new top, just the scale for the flash-bulbs was screwed on

Comparing the top of fash-modified

the already shown two black ones without screw at 11 on the left, with that screw both black and chome in the middle means new top-plate and far right the one with screwed-on plate.

Edited by romanus53

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a few modified cameras. I will start with this I Model A 23862 from 1929 converted to a Standard. The 7 O'Clock lens barrel is about 29mm compared to the normal 31mm+. I have another converted to 7 O'Clock lens which has the same short length. These numbers are from the spreadsheet which I did with Jerzy some years ago. What is shown above is the norm for converted lenses.

Will post some examples of converted sharkskin models later.

William

Group of unconverted and converted Sharkskin c models. The converted ones are in the middle back row, conversion from IIIc to IIIf Black Dial and back row right, Ic converted to IIf Black Dial.

The photo below shows the top plates. The Black Dial on the IIIc/IIIf BD has been added with a screw on plate. The Ic/IIf BD received a new top plate and this had the Black Dial already engraved on it. This was a clue to determining the history of these models, which was later confirmed by the Leica Archives.

Hope this makes sense.

William

Summer 1935 conversion prices and my Leica “two and a half” a 11 with the focussing eye lens which would have cost £1-7-0 to be added at the same time that it was also converted from a 1937 Standard into a 11 at a cost of £9-11-0. It would have cost less than another £3 to convert it straight from a Standard up to a 111.

Edited by Pyrogallol

In my posession are two factory converted Leicas. The first one is a III c from 1950, later equipped with flash synchronisation. Therefore a new shutter was implemented.

The second is a converted I from 1930. I am not shure, if it originally had a fixed lens. It came to me with a nickel Hekor from 1930, so that the lens may be original. many changes have been made. Body and lens are adapted to zero and the lens is coupled to the rangefinder. 
If I compare the camera with Vidom Spezial 10/2010, the follwing changes on the body are visible:
1. In the body is a small piece of metal
2. The shutter dial is small and engraved "20-1"
3. The cover of the film chamber has the little stiffening frame and a chrome release.
4. The pin for hanging in the cover ist large
5. The body shell has a brass ring under the mount and no hole in the back
6. The acessory shoe is sqare
7. the shutter brake has a spring
8. The A/R lever has the old shape.
So I consider, that the camera was converted after 1934, but before 1936

yours sincerely
Thomas

Edited by thomas_schertel

I have about 37 leica cameras that have been upgraded. Within pre-war cameras, the earliest I have is a Model 1 originally an Anistigmat No. 226 which has been upgraded to a model IIIa. Per the list of conversions above in post 9, the conversion to IIIa was not allowed in 1935, perhaps later it was available. With regular production starting at No, 130 or so, this would be the 96th or 97th Leica made after the prototypes. The latest pre-war conversion/upgrade I have is No. 397599, a IIIc with flash syncronization added. See photos. Post-war the addition of sync and the upgrade of model Ic, If and IIc and IIf, and Ig to higher models was popular. Does anyone have an M1 camera that was upgraded to an M3, I believe this was an available option.

Hi,

I only have one. This Ia from 1929 converted to II probably in 1933. The lens was not the one coming from the Ia but most probably assigned when upgraded (156508), an early one from the first regular batch.

Best wishes,

Augusto

7 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

I have about 37 leica cameras that have been upgraded. Within pre-war cameras, the earliest I have is a Model 1 originally an Anistigmat No. 226 which has been upgraded to a model IIIa. Per the list of conversions above in post 9, the conversion to IIIa was not allowed in 1935, perhaps later it was available. With regular production starting at No, 130 or so, this would be the 96th or 97th Leica made after the prototypes. The latest pre-war conversion/upgrade I have is No. 397599, a IIIc with flash syncronization added. See photos. Post-war the addition of sync and the upgrade of model Ic, If and IIc and IIf, and Ig to higher models was popular. Does anyone have an M1 camera that was upgraded to an M3, I believe this was an available option.

Alan, that 226 is simply amazing.

7 hours ago, alan mcfall said:

a Model 1 originally an Anistigmat No. 226 which has been upgraded to a model IIIa.

Very nice, Alan. Does it still have the original Anastigmat lens head after the 7 O'Clock conversion and other changes? Other points are whether it has a serial number on the lens and whether the lens is noticeably short. 

A related issue concerns cameras which have had 'furniture upgrades' rather than 'full model upgrades'. Examples would include changing a 'mushroom' shutter button to one which will take a remote cord, strap loops added, a different speed dial or a depth of field scale added to an early lens. There are others, but these are the main ones I have noticed.

William 

vor 12 Stunden schrieb alan mcfall:

The latest pre-war conversion/upgrade I have is No. 397599, a IIIc with flash syncronization added...

Alan, it is one of the last wartime IIIc! Amazing.

The one that I have is 397635 - not far away from number point of view, but years after yours.... 

Notice sharkskin covering. This was former Betriebskamera, number 063 may be found inside so originally from 1950/51. In 1965 was updated with all features of later IIIf, received new top cover with until now unused serial numbers

When talking about adding flash sync to wartime IIIc - it was done almost exclusively by adding small plate to existing top cover. I have seen only 3 wartime IIIc with flash sync added by Leitz where top cover has been replaced  to one without step, of course. Here is one of them

Mounting postwar top cover on wartime IIIc was not trivial, camera crate had to be renewed as well and with this as well most of the internal mechanisms. In case of above IIIc almost the whole camera was renewed, similarly to conversions from IA to IIIa syn (shown by romanus). Conversion catalogue from 1954 specify, that for cameras with SN above 400000 IIIc Type 2) renewing top cover for flash sync was 18DM in addition. Renewing top cover for IIIc Type 1 was on special order only

I wrote a series of articles about conversions for German Vidom, I believe that 2 or 3 were published as well in Viewfinder. 

Big THANK YOU first for all your input of both knowledge and amazing pictures!

A perhaps cheaper way to get flash-synchnoisation was the use of

a CAVOO, my two ones are a IIIb and a wartime IIIc I got from dealers in Britain; maybe it was easier just to change the shutter-speed-dial than to sent the camera to Leitz.

38 minutes ago, romanus53 said:

a CAVOO, my two ones are a IIIb and a wartime IIIc I got from dealers in Britain; maybe it was easier just to change the shutter-speed-dial than to sent the camera to Leitz.

I got a VACU with a 1935 IIIa which had received a 'cammed' speed dial. I have recently got a CEYOO flash but have not tried it yet with the VACU. I'm not sure if I have the correct cables. Have you tried linking a flash to any of your cameras with such a set up? The Black and Red Dials seem to be a much easier solution.

William

No, my flashlights lack the right batteries, I don't trust the capacitors, and I have no cable Form VACU to a modern electronic flash.