Jump to content

Conversions, upgrades, modiefied ones


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hello

did conversions IIIc -> IIIf included upgrade of the shutter to the latest “f” version?

i have a 1949 IIIc/f BDST (actually only by some 100 upper sn than Willeica #485XXX shown in this thread that underwent the same conversion). 

thanks a lot!

Jiri

Link to post
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, willeica said:

The numbered 7 O'Clock Hektor may have been added at the time of conversion to a IID. The serial number for the Hektor is from 1931 or 1932 whereas the camera seems to have been from 1930 originally. I have never seen a I Model A with a numbered lens. I have shown previously a converted to 7 O'Clock lens from a I Model A and that one had no serial number. I could be wrong and there are always exceptions, of course, but I am just following the numbers.

William

I think you are right, William. I should have better checked.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My 1943 IIIc/f BD.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Doug A
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

1932 Leica III with simple but invaluable addition of the rangefinder adjustable diopter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 4 Stunden schrieb willeica:

The numbered 7 O'Clock Hektor may have been added at the time of conversion to a IID. The serial number for the Hektor is from 1931 or 1932 whereas the camera seems to have been from 1930 originally. I have never seen a I Model A with a numbered lens. I have shown previously a converted to 7 O'Clock lens from a I Model A and that one had no serial number. I could be wrong and there are always exceptions, of course, but I am just following the numbers.

William

this is correct William. 39488 was IA with Elmar according to Band I. Lenses had no number at this time. When this Hektor was "born" it had pretty sure 11 oclock mount and most probably with infinity lock. Conversion to 7 oclock was between 1932 and 1935 /unless DOF has not been replaced during conversion).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

vor 3 Stunden schrieb jiri-c:

hello

did conversions IIIc -> IIIf included upgrade of the shutter to the latest “f” version?

i have a 1949 IIIc/f BDST (actually only by some 100 upper sn than Willeica #485XXX shown in this thread that underwent the same conversion). 

thanks a lot!

Jiri

maybe on special order, regular conversions kept the old speeds and thus shutter

Gerade eben schrieb jerzy:

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

my first leica film camera is a modified dual stroke M3. It has been converted to single stroke...

 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

vor 1 Stunde schrieb Ambro51:

Are there any IIId conversions?

if you mean IIId sync (IIId/f) - yes. I saw 5 samples, conversions done in the same wa as IIIc wartime (small plate with flash contact numbers screwed).

If you mean conversion IIIc to IIId - possibly, I saw 3 samples with features like authentic IIId but serial numbers oustide of known numbers

And to complete - I saw as well 2 wartime IIIc with self-timer, SN outside of IIId batch and ST lever from IIIf

More details in the last Vidom (June 2020)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

Hi everyone, I have a question about conversion of Leica I A to D. When the conversion was made by Leica, what normally happened to the lenses? Did they also move the lenses from the old to new bodies? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, isunshine said:

Hi everyone, I have a question about conversion of Leica I A to D. When the conversion was made by Leica, what normally happened to the lenses? Did they also move the lenses from the old to new bodies? 

The model D is the Leica II, with interchangeable lenses. Leitz were able to move the original fixed lens from the model A (Leica I) to an interchangeable mount you would be able to continue using on the converted camera, but now of course you would also have the option of using other lenses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

The model D is the Leica II, with interchangeable lenses. Leitz were able to move the original fixed lens from the model A (Leica I) to an interchangeable mount you would be able to continue using on the converted camera, but now of course you would also have the option of using other lenses.

Okay, so does it mean that Leica replaced only the existing mount on the existing body, or did they replace the whole body for the interchangeable lenses? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/26/2020 at 3:55 AM, alan mcfall said:

I have about 37 leica cameras that have been upgraded. Within pre-war cameras, the earliest I have is a Model 1 originally an Anistigmat No. 226 which has been upgraded to a model IIIa. Per the list of conversions above in post 9, the conversion to IIIa was not allowed in 1935, perhaps later it was available. With regular production starting at No, 130 or so, this would be the 96th or 97th Leica made after the prototypes. The latest pre-war conversion/upgrade I have is No. 397599, a IIIc with flash syncronization added. See photos. Post-war the addition of sync and the upgrade of model Ic, If and IIc and IIf, and Ig to higher models was popular. Does anyone have an M1 camera that was upgraded to an M3, I believe this was an available option.

 

On 10/26/2020 at 3:55 AM, alan mcfall said:

I have about 37 leica cameras that have been upgraded. Within pre-war cameras, the earliest I have is a Model 1 originally an Anistigmat No. 226 which has been upgraded to a model IIIa. Per the list of conversions above in post 9, the conversion to IIIa was not allowed in 1935, perhaps later it was available. With regular production starting at No, 130 or so, this would be the 96th or 97th Leica made after the prototypes. The latest pre-war conversion/upgrade I have is No. 397599, a IIIc with flash syncronization added. See photos. Post-war the addition of sync and the upgrade of model Ic, If and IIc and IIf, and Ig to higher models was popular. Does anyone have an M1 camera that was upgraded to an M3, I believe this was an available option.

Alan, do you still have the Anastigmat for 226? I can't tell exactly what lens is mounted there in our photo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, isunshine said:

Okay, so does it mean that Leica replaced only the existing mount on the existing body, or did they replace the whole body for the interchangeable lenses? 

I don't know what they did on every occasion, but there are certainly conversions where the whole body shell was obviously replaced, which would probably be the simplest solution in any case. You can see examples in this thread and elsewhere of late I to II conversions where the new body shell is drilled for the slow-speed mechanism of a III or IIIa, but the hole is covered with a vulcanite blanking plate like they used with the IIc and IIf.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Post-war conversions to Standard or repairs

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by romanus53
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, isunshine said:

 

Alan, do you still have the Anastigmat for 226? I can't tell exactly what lens is mounted there in our photo.

Let's wait for Alan... 😉  anyway, Lager displays #173 converted to III.. with an Anastigmat clearly, the original lens tube mounted onto a regular 7 o'clock coupled mount ... fine work 🙂

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, pippy said:

...but with the removal of the slow-speed dial?...

Philip.

Sorry about that Philip - I'm making too many mistakes these days - It's a Leica II with the diopter adjustment added. After that photo was taken, I had strap lugs added too.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...