Harman Introduces a NEW COLOUR FILM. Phoenix rising!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's great to see a new film product - I was hoping it was priced closed to Kentmere films.
At the current price, it seems to be a direct competitor of Kodal Color Plus 200 - which is a great film.
I may give it a try at some point - or wait for the less expensive expired rolls in few years 😂

• Haha 1

First impressions: very difficult to use, seems to overexpose and underexpose at the same time.

Quite grainy, but that might be the quick and dirty develop and scan by my local high street store. I'll send the next roll back to Harman to see if there is a difference.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

M2, 35 'Cron
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Michael-IIIf said:

Quite grainy, but that might be the quick and dirty develop and scan by my local high street store. I'll send the next roll back to Harman to see if there is a difference.

apparently it needs some specific changes to get the best results.

Harman says:

"Unlike more traditional colour negative films, HARMAN Phoenix 200 does not have an orange mask. This can affect scanner response and some adjustment may therefore be required to achieve the optimum results. Some recommendations for best settings are shown below. These scanning settings were developed by HARMANLab.com in conjunction with and support from The Darkroom.com, Analogue Wonderlab, SilverPan Film Lab and Blue Moon Camera and Machine."

https://www.harmanphoto.co.uk/wp/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2023/11/Phoenix-Scanning-Parameters-151103-1-1.pdf

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Michael-IIIf said:

First impressions: very difficult to use, seems to overexpose and underexpose at the same time.

If you have the chance you could try to develop the film in ECN-2 instead of C-41. This would give you a flatter less contrasty curve with less pronounced colours. (Once scanned into the digital world, you can of course let Photoshop loose on the results ...)

• Like 1

This is just the baby-steps of a new product-line and Ilford is quite open about this. Lots of boxes still unchecked on the list of steps to a state-of-the-art color-film. But I'm happy to see that Ilford is making such a bold move into new teritory and feel confident to say, they will probably catch up with the competition within the next few years. 

Edited by skahde
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, skahde said:

But I'm happy to see that Ilford is making such a bold move

Absolutely.

And even though it's an expensive film I'm happy to support them in this bold move. I have another roll to experiment with, I think I'll send this one back to Harman for processing and scanning.

5 minutes ago, Michael-IIIf said:

Absolutely.

And even though it's an expensive film I'm happy to support them in this bold move. I have another roll to experiment with, I think I'll send this one back to Harman for processing and scanning.

a friend in a nearby city got great results shooting it at 100asa

if you're trying to scan at home, try scanning as dng[raw] with all software corrections off

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greenhilltony said:

It seems he still underexposed when shooting at 100. The muddy yellow tint in shadow…could be the fault of lab scanner settings.

could be, what i hate about smaller lab scan facils is sometimes the newbie sets some of the scanner [fuji/noritsu] functions to auto

Edited by frame-it
  • Like 1

On 12/7/2023 at 6:10 PM, frame-it said:

a friend in a nearby city got great results shooting it at 100asa

if you're trying to scan at home, try scanning as dng[raw] with all software corrections off

Yeah seen some samples, with rated 100, and home developed with NLP set to linear preset, great results i and it’s nailed, i love the vibe and color punch with this stock films, compared to lomo92 and orwo counterpart 

• Like 2