Where has all the colour film gone

hillavoider

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

In the UK at present it seems (with some exceptions) that you can have any C41 35mm emulsion that you want provided it is Ilford XP2 (or look at some dodgy deals on eBay).  For 35mm colour it is a choice of Cinestill (expensive) or Vision3 (less expensive) with expensive or complicated home processing.  Lots of dealers "waiting for stock" of Fuji or Kodak (some very expensive Portra showing up occasionally).  For bulk-loading it is XP2 or Vision3 (reasonable to very economical depending how much you buy).  120 holding up better.

Perhaps an uncomfortable consequence of Brexit ?

1 minute ago, BradS said:

Perhaps an uncomfortable consequence of Brexit ?

Careful what you vote for….

Here is the good ole US of A we did not vote for Brexit…. Insert giant winky emoticon here -> 😜. and because of that we can drive our gas guzzlin SUVs 200ft to our local drug store aka pharmacy, waddle in, grab a 3 pack of Fuji Superia, grab a scoop of Thrifty ice cream, pause for a breather, then head back home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Ah yes - Brexit, the gift that keeps on taking. Not sure mainstream C41 availability is much better in the EU right now, though (especially Fuji). With bookmarks to about 20 UK suppliers and a bit of Googling I can find Portra 800, 400 and 160, Ektar, ColorPlus, Gold and the odd roll of UltraMax in stock somewhere or other without resorting to ebay scalpers (though even the standard price of Portra seems like scalping). All the normal priced Superia is out of stock, though Amazon traders have it at £20+. That guy on ebay with 10 rolls left at £16.49 each is starting to look like a bargain basement retailer.

Edited by Anbaric
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

Found some 35mm colour film in a little shop in Cirencester yesterday.  He's now out of Fuji though :)

There is quite a lot out there if you look for it (not Fuji though) I find Analogue are quite a good source and their prices are not too outrageous.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/9/2022 at 1:07 PM, Doc Henry said:

Hilavoider ,   I buy all my films here https://www.fotoimpex.com/

Quietglow , Red is stunning with this film

Regards Henry

I stopped buying here when they tried to sell me two bulk rolls of fresh Tri-X, but they arrived two years expired.

They were incredibly rude and accepted a return but would not refund return postage.  I had to start a PayPal dispute (which I won).  Never again.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, M9reno said:

I stopped buying here when they tried to sell me two bulk rolls of fresh Tri-X, but they arrived two years expired.

They were incredibly rude and accepted a return but would not refund return postage.  I had to start a PayPal dispute (which I won).  Never again.

wow.  they should've done better 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, grahamc said:

wow.  they should've done better 

Pretty much a non-option for me thanks to Brexit, too. Minimum UK order is 170 EUR to bring it over the threshold where the customer deals with customs processing and tax themselves. They are apparently working on enabling smaller orders again, but that will cost an additional 24 EUR per order. But if they treat customers like they did M9reno, they might be best avoided.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

Pretty much a non-option for me thanks to Brexit, too. Minimum UK order is 170 EUR to bring it over the threshold where the customer deals with customs processing and tax themselves. They are apparently working on enabling smaller orders again, but that will cost an additional 24 EUR per order. But if they treat customers like they did M9reno, they might be best avoided.

I shall place an order with my daughter in Brussels to be brought to me for Christmas.

• 3 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, hillavoider said:

Hi, just reviving this topic as i will be in Los Angeles in a few weeks and need to buy film. 

Anyone recommend any places in Santa Monica? Do Drug Stores in the US still sell film? 

Thanks in advance 

RiteAid drug stores get Fuji deliveries once a week.  I think on Thursdays. Fuji 200 and 400.  The 200 - which I prefer - is priced normally at under $30 for 3/36.  The 400 is goofy expensive.  You can also check Samys Camera in LA, freestylephoto in Hollywood, and Pauls Photo in Torrance (South Bay area just south of San Monica).

• Thanks 1

On 11/7/2022 at 10:54 PM, hillavoider said:

it's impossible to find any at the moment, too many hipsters 😀

I could find at any moment. But since film is nothing but hipsta market now, those who has stumble in seventies are having hard time to find anything without Google search. 

Sorry for harsh reality check.

2 hours ago, Huss said:

RiteAid drug stores get Fuji deliveries once a week.  I think on Thursdays. Fuji 200 and 400.  The 200 - which I prefer - is priced normally at under $30 for 3/36.  The 400 is goofy expensive.  You can also check Samys Camera in LA, freestylephoto in Hollywood, and Pauls Photo in Torrance (South Bay area just south of San Monica).

thanks for that 

39 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I could find at any moment. But since film is nothing but hipsta market now, those who has stumble in seventies are having hard time to find anything without Google search. 

Sorry for harsh reality check.

LOL from your website you look older then me :) 

check this situation out here 35mm Colour Negative Film | WALKENS House of Film | Australia-Wide

11 hours ago, hillavoider said:

LOL from your website you look older then me :) 

check this situation out here 35mm Colour Negative Film | WALKENS House of Film | Australia-Wide

Sorry for double offence. While I'm also in the boonies of current civilization, I see film available even in local Walmart  of our town. 

Here is BH,  shipping worldwide. They do have 35 color negative film in stock. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?q=35mm color film&filters=fct_a_filter_by%3A03_INSTOCK%2Cfct_film-type_1893%3Acolor-negative

As for how I looks like. At the age of thirteen I was buying tobacco for buddies and me. And at the age of sixteen - booze.  Because I looked old enough.  :)