Where has all the colour film gone

hillavoider

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/5/2022 at 1:05 AM, hillavoider said:

Hi, just reviving this topic as i will be in Los Angeles in a few weeks and need to buy film. 

Anyone recommend any places in Santa Monica? Do Drug Stores in the US still sell film? 

Thanks in advance 

I’ve just come back from L.A.  I ordered film well before my arrival, shipped to my hotel. 

I used cinestillfilm.com as I wanted to try their newish C41 film ( yes a new formulation and not based on motion stock ) 400D - d for dynamic. 

Ordering film from within the country of destination avoids the hassles of carrying film through security X-ray machines. At least on the way out!

Edited by mradey
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mradey said:

Ordering film from within the country of destination avoids the hassles of carrying film through security X-ray machines. At least on the way out!

Remember those days when you could be pretty certain of getting the film of your choice in any developed country?

Today if you're coming to the UK and you want a colour negative film like Superia, the advice may be 'good luck with that!'.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 4:18 PM, mradey said:

I’ve just come back from L.A.  I ordered film well before my arrival, shipped to my hotel. 

I used cinestillfilm.com as I wanted to try their newish C41 film ( yes a new formulation and not based on motion stock ) 400D - d for dynamic. 

I was in Europe in October and shot a few rolls of the 400D ... it was interesting but I might make a different decision next time.

I posted about it here:

https://www.photo.net/forums/topic/536147-canon-f1n-with-cinestill400d-film/#comment-5753105

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 10:31 PM, Anbaric said:

Today if you're coming to the UK and you want a colour negative film like Superia, the advice may be 'good luck with that!'.

Curiously, although most photo dealers are out of stock of Fuji Superia 400 (previously advertised at about GBP15, one dealer offers expired stock at GBP12), Boots the Chemist seems to have access to stocks of Superia 400 and Fujicolor 200 at GBP9.99 and 8.99.  Worth a look if you like the Fuji emulsions.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

Curiously, although most photo dealers are out of stock of Fuji Superia 400 (previously advertised at about GBP15, one dealer offers expired stock at GBP12), Boots the Chemist seems to have access to stocks of Superia 400 and Fujicolor 200 at GBP9.99 and 8.99.  Worth a look if you like the Fuji emulsions.

Thanks! I'd been checking there periodically (it had been out of stock for many months) and had just about given up. It hope this signals a return to general availability (otherwise the scalpers will buy it all up and we'll see it on ebay at 50% markup).

Edited by Anbaric

On 2/1/2023 at 10:29 AM, Anbaric said:

Thanks! I'd been checking there periodically (it had been out of stock for many months) and had just about given up. It hope this signals a return to general availability (otherwise the scalpers will buy it all up and we'll see it on ebay at 50% markup).

The Boots website is now out of stock again, but I grabbed a few rolls of Superia 400 while it was available, and for the first time in many months my local branch had a couple on the shelf yesterday.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Speed Graphic in the UK have the 'new' Orwo Wolfen NC500 in stock at the moment. Somewhat expensive at £18 a roll it's based on the old Agfa movie film but without the Remjet layer. It seems to be made in limited quantities as ordering direct from Orwo shows it to be out of stock.

https://www.orwo.shop/en-gb/products/wolfen-nc500

Edited by 250swb

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, John Robinson said:

Boots now out of stock of Superia 400 at £9.99 but saying "stock coming soon" at £15.99.  Ouch!

Sadly discovered that recently. The £9.99 batch you mentioned above went very quickly, and I was kicking myself afterwards for not buying more (at least that gave somebody else a chance - hope it wasn't just it was the scalpers!). This is probably the symbolic end of relatively cheap colour film in the UK. Somebody had a few rolls of Superia at the Photographica fair on Sunday, but it was £15 a box. There was rather more Ultramax, for around £13.

17 hours ago, Anbaric said:

This is probably the symbolic end of relatively cheap colour film in the UK.

A few months ago, my local dealer advertised Kodak ColorPlus200 at £6.50 per roll as "cheapest C41 available".  No longer:  it is now £10.55, same price as (out of stock) Gold200 or ProImage 100 that used to be "cheap".  Ektar100 more than £16 per roll.  For now I am sticking to bulk-loading XP2 that comes out around £5 per roll.  It's like going back to the 1980s when shooting B/W was "normal" (processed in my own darkroom) and colour was for special occasions as it had to go to the lab.  (C41 or ECN2 processing "at home" is now an option but I don't have the facilities needed to handle it which is a shame because bulk-loading Vision3 would bring the unit price down to around £2.50.)

• Like 1