Update regarding 1.4/35 Summilux 'steel rim' vignetting with filter & hood.

MarkP

• 3 weeks later...

DID YOU RECEIVE YOUR REPLACEMENT HOODS  YET?

I was finally able to retrieve my new replacement hoods after coming from a long trip. Everything packed well and everything as it should be. Proper item delivered.

The bag sticker says item origin: Portugal.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, I received the "new" Lens hood in August directly from LEICA Wetzlar. Now, I had time to compare the "old" and the "new". Note that booth version had the same serial n° .... which may be confiusing. The concept of the two version is the same, but there is a clear difference in size / depth. (see attached photos).  I haven't done some tests but I guess that the new version do it better. 

In any case, LEICA has delivered. Thanks for correcting this issue. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SiggiGun said:

Hi all, I received the "new" Lens hood in August directly from LEICA Wetzlar. Now, I had time to compare the "old" and the "new". Note that booth version had the same serial n° .... which may be confiusing. The concept of the two version is the same, but there is a clear difference in size / depth. (see attached photos).  I haven't done some tests but I guess that the new version do it better. 

Which one is the new one?

4 hours ago, SiggiGun said:

Same serial # for two different items is weird.  And not helpful!

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for mine. Bought it on day ONE.

I just cannot understand why Leica did not tell each store who sold these lenses to contact the owner about a new hood. I found out on FM and then asked Leica for replacement. Never heard a word and asked a Leica employee (not in a store) to find out what is going on. A week later I get an email from someone saying they were out of the new slim hood and I will eventually get one.

Bad customer care. Actually no customer care.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:12 PM, algrove said:

Still waiting for mine. Bought it on day ONE.

I just cannot understand why Leica did not tell each store who sold these lenses to contact the owner about a new hood. I found out on FM and then asked Leica for replacement. Never heard a word and asked a Leica employee (not in a store) to find out what is going on. A week later I get an email from someone saying they were out of the new slim hood and I will eventually get one.

Bad customer care. Actually no customer care.

Write directly to customer care in Wetzlar. Be persistent. I think everybody who did it got the replacement. But Leica surely won’t go contacting anybody, the price of minor embarrassment on several forums is much smaller than the cost of damage control. 

On 9/18/2023 at 6:42 PM, Al Brown said:

It is awesome because the old, probably relatively rare hood will become a collector's item and sell for 2000$ like the OLLUX.
The same rerial number is kept because it is the same item, fixed.

Those two screw-on hoods are cheap chinese hoods that used to sell on ebay for 1.49$ and free shipping. I stopped looking but they are maybe 2.99 now. 

Counterfeiting this hood is extremely easy: ask the chinese supplier to stamp the correct words instead the usual white lettered made in china. This is also why Leica can be so liberal with those cheapies and send one to whoever asks. They most probably source them at 0.08$ each. 

When the time comes, the chinese will churn out thousands of those, a 30 minute job at the factory.

This isn’t funny anymore. They’re also countrrfeiting the extremely rare MP/M2 Leicavit, from Scratch… Brass and all. Look at Ebay.  

They are hurting the Leica collector market that’s for sure. From the repaints to plainly and simply manufacturing the parts, now.

IMO, the day is not far when we’ll start seeing “new old stock, Original brand new in box” Black paint M234 “genuine” appearing. Then, sold as being genuine or plainly sold as remarkable copies.

What’s coming does not smell good.  

Edited by Bronco McBeast

• 1 month later...

Update from me on the 12486 replacement hood.

I last chased my Leica authorised dealer in Paris in mid-July, and they said that no replacement hoods had been received. 

I have now chased once more, and await an update from them. @SiggiGun's post with photos and confirmation of replacement has been especially helpful, because at least from this it is clear a replacement exists, and I can show my dealer the fix. 

It goes without saying that - 
- Leica should never have sent this lens out with a faulty hood in the first place
- upon first notification of the problem, Leica should have proactively instituted a recall and exchange
- once it was left to customers to request - and chase - this part, it should have been dealt with quickly. 
- customers should not have to explain the problem to authorised dealers / boutique staff. They should all have received internal memos on that.

I bought this lens on November 2nd, 2022. 

I will update this thread when the replacement hood arrives.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, hdmesa said:

Can you share the month/year assembly date on the box? The serial number won't tell @setuporg anything useful as Leica is all over the map with those.

I have the box in storage, but I found a post in another thread about this lens. It looks like it was 2023/07/17. 

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

The  manf date on my lens box is Oct 11, 2023 (10/11/2023).

I requested a new hood and received one from NJ within 2 weeks.

The hoods are identical in size. And; I haven't tested any yet.

Does anyone know the true height of the replacement HOOD or some distinctive marking to ascertain if it is the replacement?