Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 11301 "STEEL RIM" reissue QC problems

Al Brown

Advertisement (gone after registration)

59 minutes ago, geoffnik said:

That's fine, bought mine a few days after it was announced.

That "wobble" is not a wobble or a wobbly aperture ring, it doesn't "jiggle" on its own.

In my experience with modern Leica lenses, they all have play in their aperture ring, it just seems more pronounced on the Steel Rim reissue than it is on other similar lenses, such as the 35 FLE V1.

It does feels more extreme on the reissue because we have tabs we can "jiggle" it with. 

That "wobble" hasn't changed since I bought it, and the lens has worked flawlessly ever since. 

It sure is disappointing since original Steel Rim aperture rings have no play to this day, and ... you don't expect that from a Leica lens, or any lens for that matter at this price point but, I assure you, that aperture ring play is really not unlike other modern Leica M lenses. 

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 6/18/2023 at 3:21 AM, Gobert said:

Bad news. Most of the issues you expect with cheap Chinese lenses, not with German quality.
The vignetting design flaw might be the work of an engineer just from school.

Maybe they farmed the assembly of this lens out to China as an experiment.

On 11/13/2023 at 8:26 PM, Qlan said:

Just got my 35mm Steel Rim back from Germany for a back focus issue. Tried it in the Leica store where they shipped it to, and I as pessimistically expected, it still back focuses, in the exact same way as before. The Leica store owner tried it, and thankfully agreed that it indeed back focuses. The lens they have on display is good though. They'll try to find a solution, hopefully not another trip to Germany without any confidence it will be fixed correctly.

What a joke this is.

Hiring and training practices and/or too much good bier at lunchtime.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, 69xchange said:

Waiting for someone to complain about the limited 200pc black reissue SR quality control here.

Gosh, I *DO* hope Leica took a hint and fixed everything. Let's go over all the initial problems again just to be sure:

- Loose, not snug lens cap that does not stay on

- Stiff focusing ring near infinity

- Wobbly aperture ring that rattles

- Some samples are not calibrated/aligned with rangefinder (back or front focus)

- The use of filter with screw-in threaded lens hood leads to undesirable vignetting – design flaw, a problem recognized by Leica with a solution

- The clip-on hood does not stay on the lens/falls of at the slightest touch

Edited by Al Brown
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, 69xchange said:

Waiting for someone to complain about the limited 200pc black reissue SR quality control here.

I am afraid too many will never be used and as such those will never know to complain about problems. Their only problem will be too carefully cut the white tape sealing the outer box.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

BTW, my SR had been prefect except for the lens hood with vignettes while using event thin filter. Just got the replacement and STRANGELY Leica made it narrower, but used the same part #12486 as the first hood.🤨

I consider the threaded hood, that I received with my Re-Edition Steel Rim, to simply be a collectible accessory, one of the things to keep inside the original box, in pristine condition, to be passed along to the next owner. The hood that I received has the physical appearance of the early version, that is known to vignette, when used with a threaded hood. At the time I ordered the lens, I placed an order with Rainbow Imaging’s eBay store, for a very inexpensive threaded hood that reportedly does not produce vignetting, but, I have not yet used it, either. The plastic hood, that is packaged with the Re-Edition Steel Rim, has sufficed. (Mine does stay nicely in place.)

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 5:21 PM, patrickcolpron said:

That's fine, bought mine a few days after it was announced.

That "wobble" is not a wobble or a wobbly aperture ring, it doesn't "jiggle" on its own.

In my experience with modern Leica lenses, they all have play in their aperture ring, it just seems more pronounced on the Steel Rim reissue than it is on other similar lenses, such as the 35 FLE V1.

It does feels more extreme on the reissue because we have tabs we can "jiggle" it with. 

That "wobble" hasn't changed since I bought it, and the lens has worked flawlessly ever since. 

It sure is disappointing since original Steel Rim aperture rings have no play to this day, and ... you don't expect that from a Leica lens, or any lens for that matter at this price point but, I assure you, that aperture ring play is really not unlike other modern Leica M lenses. 

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. 

I did post the video of the ‘play in the aperture ring’ to Leica and had this response.

I have reviewed the video together with our technicians and they confirmed that this behaviour is normal for this lens.

The Leica Summilux-M 35 f/1.4 follows a classic product concept in order to preserve the special character and individuality of the lens. The top priority for our engineers was to come as close as possible to the original from 1961, with a barely changed vintage look and an identical optical design.

Accordingly, mechanical tolerances can deviate from our modern and otherwise usual standards, but this does not mean any loss of quality or functional restrictions.

Edited by geoffnik

12 minutes ago, geoffnik said:

Accordingly, mechanical tolerances can deviate from our modern and otherwise usual standards, but this does not mean any loss of quality or functional restrictions.

I call that bullshit; anything manufactured today will have been redrawn in 3D CAD tools and measurements passed to CNC machines.

• Thanks 1