Reissue 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V1 Steel Rim

darylgo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/12/2022 at 1:30 PM, evikne said:

I am very happy with the v2 (Canada) that I have today. But a brand new lens would of course also have been tempting.

The three things I'm primarily interested in knowing about the new release are:

• MFD (minimum focus distance)
  • wide open performance
  • price

Hmm, think I can answer your third "want to know."  I have a German pre-asph, but frankly the Nokton II SC or MC are better lenses with more character, much more practical too (MFD, filters, ect) but do love the size and speed of all these lenses.  I'll be keeping an eye on this reissue.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Artin said:

This would be a very welcome addition to anyone’s bag. Wow now it’s going to get interesting which one to choose the new FLE. Or the steel rim 

Sorry, I never 'got' this lens. It was the first Leica lens I bought (or was it a version 2 pre-asph?) for my first M6 in '95 and boy I wish I could have some of those photos back, done with a different lens. It's great for a 'look' I suppose, but not one I ever got along with. Sold it on as soon as I could. But it's your wallet, not mine. 

What should be the anticipated priced of new lens based on your assessment of used lenses?

Now if it is limited production to 500 units then sky is the limit.

I know that Apo 50 LHSA was available @$10,500 when first released.

10 hours ago, Artin said:

it was and still is one of the best lenses to have in your bag, exceptionally good with B&W photography. I have had a few copy's of them in my life and it was more appreciated with digital cameras then with film. I have not used one with the M11 but it was fantastic with the M10R and the SL2 when I had it last year. Having said that I think the prices for a used copy are just ridiculous, yesterday I saw a V2 in good condition going for 3900 US, and a Titanium for 6000 US  would I pay that ?  hell no 

On 10/12/2022 at 1:29 PM, chasdfg said:

I'd take the Noct 1.2 reissue as indicative of how this reissue (if it happens) will go. Would allow more people access to a lens design that had previously been unobtainable (due to cost or finding a clean mint copy). The prices of the original Noct 1.2 haven't come down at all. Apparently they render differently too. And the reissue didn't affect Noct f1 prices either (I half expected it to. Maybe some guys one the fence for an f1 may consider a reissued 1.2). Hype, myth, speculation and scarcity have all driven up the prices of the original lenses - and all that will continue to keep prices up there.

I know it isn't a Leica but the 35 cron v1 by Light Lens Lab didn't affect the Leica versions prices either.

I would be tempted to get a black one if it takes filters (it should) and focuses to 0.7m (it should?). Whether I sell my rather newly acquired 35lux preasph copy is another matter...will probably see how this one renders and what's the price. If it is released at all.

Glad Leica and companies like Light Lens Lab are reissuing these lenses. They get me close enough to the original to let me try something I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

I went for the Noctilux reissue. I won't sell it, a very unique lens. Wide open, it is not for everything. Stop it down a little and it gets sharp and even, so it can be the single 50 in your bag for the day. But it scratched an itch for an F1 Noctilux. I scratched that itch and found a V4 with a fresh CLA and coding done by Leica Wetzlar. 

Both lenses are different, a splurge no doubt, but I love them both.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, grahamc said:

Does anyone recall what the limit to the black 50:1.2 Noctilux reissue was ?  It was it not limited ?  They are still very widely available 

Bought mine new one month ago, it is from 2022/07/05 according to the sticker on the box…

Edited by Aryel
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Meanwhile in a parallel universe, the Voigtländer Nokton Vintage Line 35mm F/1.5 Aspherical VM is coming (3 types) in November, with E39 filter thread, 0.5m close focusing distance and a black paint option (pictured here) most likely at an amazingly cool price.

If it is as good as their 28/2 ASPH and has some true additional vintage rendering capabilities wide open it will be another big hit and a price/performance king for all the folks that are not fans of the “Leica glow” thingy.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Casey Jefferson said:

Original Noct 50/1.2 has not just one but two...

Seems this new voigtlander 35mm also has 2 ASPH elements…interesting lens indeed. Just wonder if anyone knows how the design of the voigtlander lenses that focus to 0.5m works? With leica lenses that go below 0.7m I believe there is a hard stop at 0.7m, and from there you can go to 0.3m etc (with the new APO cron and lux 35), but do voigtlander lenses just keep on going to 0.5m? Or do they have a hard stop at 0.7m too? If no hard stop I’d assume it’d be very annoying to use them on a rangefinder camera without live view (e.g. film cameras)

1 hour ago, shirubadanieru said:

Seems this new voigtlander 35mm also has 2 ASPH elements…interesting lens indeed. Just wonder if anyone knows how the design of the voigtlander lenses that focus to 0.5m works? With leica lenses that go below 0.7m I believe there is a hard stop at 0.7m, and from there you can go to 0.3m etc (with the new APO cron and lux 35), but do voigtlander lenses just keep on going to 0.5m? Or do they have a hard stop at 0.7m too? If no hard stop I’d assume it’d be very annoying to use them on a rangefinder camera without live view (e.g. film cameras)

Hi,

I wanted to chime in, with my albeit little knowledge, since many of your posts have always been enlightening and helpful to me.

I have a few asph Voigtlander lenses (21-35-75) (but they aren't as treasured as my Leica lenses). The focus ring on my VM 21/3.5 C-S and VM 35/2 Ultron II keep going past 0.7m to their MFD with no hard stop at 0.7m. Yes, it can be annoying sometimes as I currently don't use LV cameras, although it's not terrible. With the 35mm, it can get in the way when shooting close-ups as I'm used to turning the lens to MFD and focusing back for those types of shots. However, with the 21mm it isn't bothersome at all as I zone focus and use an external VF.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KarimelKrunch said:

Hi,

I wanted to chime in, with my albeit little knowledge, since many of your posts have always been enlightening and helpful to me.

I have a few asph Voigtlander lenses (21-35-75) (but they aren't as treasured as my Leica lenses). The focus ring on my VM 21/3.5 C-S and VM 35/2 Ultron II keep going past 0.7m to their MFD with no hard stop at 0.7m. Yes, it can be annoying sometimes as I currently don't use LV cameras, although it's not terrible. With the 35mm, it can get in the way when shooting close-ups as I'm used to turning the lens to MFD and focusing back for those types of shots. However, with the 21mm it isn't bothersome at all as I zone focus and use an external VF.

This is my exact frustration with Voigtlander lenses. Honestly, even if I could buy the lens and get it “serviced” to only go to 0.7, that would be more appealing. But if I want an MFD of 0.7, my options are still:

Zeiss 35mm Distagon

Leica Summilux FLE I or II (since it has a hard stop)

This new rumoured remake of the Summilux 35 Steel Rim (which may only focus to 1m or whatever it was like the original).

None of those options are reasonably priced.

Edited by 28framelines

12 hours ago, darylgo said:

Al, how does a vintage lens have aspherical elements?  Was the original a hand ground lens or are they using the term vintage loosely?  You have me curious about this lens.  

In the Cosina Voigtlander Parallel Universe, the terms Classic and Vintage have idiosyncratic meanings in that usually:

Classic means a retro optical design in a modern housing (e.g. the CV Nokton Classic 35/1.4 is optically similar to the Pre-ASPH Summilux 35mm).

Vintage means a modern optical design in a retro housing (e.g. the CV Nokton 50/1.5 v1  housing mimics that of the c.1950 Nokton 50/1.5).

The Ultron Aspherical v2 28mm and 35mm lenses are “vintage” because of their tapered barrel design not their rendering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, grahamc said:

Does anyone recall what the limit to the black 50:1.2 Noctilux reissue was ?  It was it not limited ?  They are still very widely available 

Hi mate, they were never in limited production except the 100 silver

and we know only thambar that seemed to cease production from the reissue line up

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KarimelKrunch said:

Hi,

Thank you :D 

For those who want the original there is a opportunity here https://www.flintsauctions.com/auction/lot/lot-50---a-leitz-summilux-f14-35mm-lens/?lot=17124&so=0&st=&sto=0&au=49&ef=&et=&ic=False&sd=0&pp=48&pn=2&g=1

I will take the re-issue, devoid of fungus and cleaning marks, and somewhat cheaper.  However, I do think the black crackle finish rectangular hood, as with the 28mm Summaron-M, jars a bit with the chrome finish (IMHO  of course!)