Reissue 35mm Summilux Pre-Asph V1 Steel Rim

darylgo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica Rumors says:

https://leicarumors.com/2022/10/11/new-leica-summilux-35mm-f-1-4-v1-steel-rim-lens-reissue-rumored-to-be-announced-next-week-with-the-m6-camera.aspx/

This is a beloved lens on the forums, it's a lens that many devoted fans would never give up including me.   This new lens would be quite appealing.   Would the new lens make the old lens redundant?  Out with the old and in with the new?  Or keep the old one?  

40 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Leica Rumors says:

https://leicarumors.com/2022/10/11/new-leica-summilux-35mm-f-1-4-v1-steel-rim-lens-reissue-rumored-to-be-announced-next-week-with-the-m6-camera.aspx/

This is a beloved lens on the forums, it's a lens that many devoted fans would never give up including me.   This new lens would be quite appealing.   Would the new lens make the old lens redundant?  Out with the old and in with the new?  Or keep the old one?  

I can't imagine the new one will be exactly like the old one. Different coatings, glass, etc. The only logical solution is to have both and follow the golden rule of of Leica gear: "Never sell Leica gear. You will eventually regret it." The only exception I make is Leica digital bodies. Lenses never get sold due to fear of regret.

Edited by Crem
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'd take the Noct 1.2 reissue as indicative of how this reissue (if it happens) will go. Would allow more people access to a lens design that had previously been unobtainable (due to cost or finding a clean mint copy). The prices of the original Noct 1.2 haven't come down at all. Apparently they render differently too. And the reissue didn't affect Noct f1 prices either (I half expected it to. Maybe some guys one the fence for an f1 may consider a reissued 1.2). Hype, myth, speculation and scarcity have all driven up the prices of the original lenses - and all that will continue to keep prices up there.

I know it isn't a Leica but the 35 cron v1 by Light Lens Lab didn't affect the Leica versions prices either.

I would be tempted to get a black one if it takes filters (it should) and focuses to 0.7m (it should?). Whether I sell my rather newly acquired 35lux preasph copy is another matter...will probably see how this one renders and what's the price. If it is released at all.

Glad Leica and companies like Light Lens Lab are reissuing these lenses. They get me close enough to the original to let me try something I otherwise wouldn't be able to.

• Like 1

I am very happy with the v2 (Canada) that I have today. But a brand new lens would of course also have been tempting.

The three things I'm primarily interested in knowing about the new release are:

• MFD (minimum focus distance)
  • wide open performance
  • price
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, evikne said:

I am very happy with the v2 (Canada) that I have today. But a brand new lens would of course also have been tempting.

• wide open performance
  • price

All three of those are very good points. I'd like to add my big question: Is this general release or limited edition? I'm hopeful it's not a limited edition. My best guess (zero inside knowledge) is that they will do something like the Summaron 28 where the silver is general release and the black paint is a limited run. I hope I'm wrong and I can get one in black paint. 🫰

Edited by Crem
  • Like 1

vor 2 Stunden schrieb evikne:

• wide open performance
  • price

All reissues Leica has offered until today were rebuilt as close to the original as possible. Therefore I doubt that there will be any changes concerning MFD or so. Only the glass types will certainly be different, the old ones are no more available. This will definitely have an impact on image results, in particular wide open.

13 minutes ago, Wonzo said:

All reissues Leica has offered until today were rebuilt as close to the original as possible. Therefore I doubt that there will be any changes concerning MFD or so.

If they read this forum they would know that most users would appreciate an MFD shorter than 1m. 😉

Some versions already go down to 0.65m so it shouldn't be impossible to achieve.

3 hours ago, Crem said:

"Never sell Leica gear. You will eventually regret it."

I would like to add "a good sample"  I've had some disappointments with some purchases.  

2 hours ago, chasdfg said:

I would be tempted to get a black one if it takes filters (it should) and focuses to 0.7m (it should?).

The filter thing is this lens'  achilles heel, I'm hoping they allow filter attachment directly and eliminate the series filter in the hood and perhaps why Leica Rumors says it will be slightly different from the original body.  

4 minutes ago, Ktsa5239 said:

excuse my ignorance but what is so special about this comparing to the other 35lux?

Small, glowy wide open, improved contrast closed down, cute and cuddly 🙂

• Like 2

The steel rim can fit e41 filters, so the remake will obviously allow for that. 

The MFD will probably remain unchanged. That is unfortunate but both Summaron & Noctilux remakes kept the MFD to 1m like the original, I don't see Leica changing the formula here. 

Hope they also remake the hood, it's Leica's coolest hood by far :)

All in all, this news is so much better than the M6 remake! Hopefully it's not limited edition since I def. wanna get one. Best 35mm (tied w/ cron 8e) for me. More than anything, I hope it's real & does indeed come out this month. fingers crossed

• Like 1

Wonderful news!  I have a v1 and I’m ready to buy a 6-bit coded reissue as soon as it comes out (just need to know which wait list to get on as all of my known Leica dealers only open the waitlist books once it’s officially announced

Edited by RMF

15 hours ago, evikne said:

• wide open performance
  • price

Also I tend to look at:

• the chromatic aberration in high contrast edges.
  • the structure of the bokeh balls (strong circle or not, evenly or one-sided, but I do not know enough of the subject)

- I looked at the VC 35mm F1.4 Nokton Classic equivalent, just to see there were a lot of purple flags in the picture. So dropped that, even though the picture quality - even more for the 40mm F1.4 Classic - is good. 

16 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

The steel rim can fit e41 filters, so the remake will obviously allow for that. 

Good to hear despite the horrible size, Leica does so many things well, filter sizes is not one of them.  

6 hours ago, pippy said:

I'd be very happy to read that Leica will consider manufacturing 41mm filters once more...

Philip.

Or simply changing to 40.5mm, shouldn't vignette.   

Thambar reissue went from 48mm (original) to 49mm (reissue).

It will be interesting to see if the technical but not creative limitations (I hesitate to say 'flaws') of the original lens when shot wide open will be replicated, in terms of glow, softness and coma. 

If so, to what degree will Leica replicate those, given the spectrum of perceived production quality variations during the lifetime of the lens and the variation in wide open characteristics?

I don't subscribe to the view that the original steel rim had mythical qualities; it didn't. Any differences between versions was down to production control, until the lens was recomputed after serial number 2,166,701 with a change to lanthanum glass elements. There may have been changes to coatings but there's no documentary evidence to validate when this happened.

It seems to me that if the qualities of the original lens(es) aren't replicated, then it's possibly a pointless exercise.

Ernst

Edited by Ernstk
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ernstk said:

It will be interesting to see if the technical but not creative limitations (I hesitate to say 'flaws') of the original lens when shot wide open will be replicated, in terms of glow, softness and coma. 

If so, to what degree will Leica replicate those, given the spectrum of perceived production quality variations during the lifetime of the lens and the variation in wide open characteristics?

I don't subscribe to the view that the original steel rim had mythical qualities; it didn't. Any differences between versions was down to production control, until the lens was recomputed after serial number 2,166,701 with a change to lanthanum glass elements. There may have been changes to coatings but there's no documentary evidence to validate when this happened.

It seems to me that if the qualities of the original lens(es) aren't replicated, then it's possibly a pointless exercise.

Ernst

I prefer the SR rendering to the v2 pre-asph, especially the wide open rendering in b&w. To each their own hehe 

2 hours ago, Ernstk said:

Ernst

At the very least, lens manufacturers can no longer use Lanthanum and Thorium material for glass, due to its mild radioactive content.