35/1.4 Steel Rim shots - old and new

TheGodParticle/Hari

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, MarkP said:

Very nice Hari.

Trying  to control GAS 🙄

Thank you Mark 🍻

For what it is, it’s a lovely lens 

That classic glow wide open, rainbow ring flare, smooth bokeh, 1m mfd (annoying), small and pocketable 

Stopped down, it packs a punch as heavy as most modern lenses, so it’s not a one trick pony 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Hari, 

Any thoughts on similarities and difference of new and original lens?  

Thanks

It’s a faithful reproduction as far as Leica could produce. The glass is different, the coating is improved and yet the lens gives that glow wide open. This also makes it a more useful lens than a one trick pony. Stop it down and you have the performance of a lens of our times. It delivers the rainbow flare as anticipated. 

This lens is all about the character, and it fully met my expectations. I am fortunate to have a nice collection of lenses. I love vintage lenses and have the xenons and Hektors and Summarexes, but also appreciate the modern apo lenses. Sometimes it’s cumbersome to take a xenon 50/1.5 for that look wide open and then also take a 50Luxasph or a 50apo for different situations where I’d like to stop down and get a sharp contrasty image. This lens gives you the best of both worlds. And that’s super useful. I mean if you don’t like that glow wide open, you can keep shooting f2 and further just like a normal lens, which makes this quite attractive. There’s the 1M MFD but Leica wanted to remain faithful to the older version so they didn’t change it.

The OLLUX hood has its own place, the modern one is a faithful reproduction of the same design. Changing aperture with the old one was iffy, same with the modern one and hence the second hood.

Size and weight are very close, the lens is of course 6-bit coded.

Hope that’s helpful. Anything specific you have in mind? 

Edited by TheGodParticle/Hari
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

Thank you, exactly what I wanted to know.  The v1 had been said to be a more preferred lens to v2, I've only shot the v2.  Does the new lens match the v1 qualities that make it preferred over the v2?  I know this is a general question and Leica myths abound, so whatever input is appreciated.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Thank you, exactly what I wanted to know.  The v1 had been said to be a more preferred lens to v2, I've only shot the v2.  Does the new lens match the v1 qualities that make it preferred over the v2?  I know this is a general question and Leica myths abound, so whatever input is appreciated.  

You’re welcome 🍻

I do have the v1 and v2 in my collection, and can confirm the look from this new version matches the desired qualities of the v1 

And look, no goggles! 😄 

• Like 1

Hari, you've really helped me decide.  Now I know I'll have to buy this lens.  I won't tell my wife who helped😁.   

Do you shoot your v2?  I'm thinking it will be relegated to shelf queen status for me when the reissue arrives.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, darylgo said:

Hari, you've really helped me decide.  Now I know I'll have to buy this lens.  I won't tell my wife who helped😁.   

Do you shoot your v2?  I'm thinking it will be relegated to shelf queen status for me when the reissue arrives.  

I’m happy I could be of help 🎉🍻

You will enjoy the lens. It’s reasonably priced and factory fresh, so you can easily get decades of enjoyment out of the little lens

Thank you for not pointing me out to your wife, I’d like to live a little longer and enjoy some more equipment 😄 

TBH, both v1 and v2 will probably get lesser use as I find myself putting the 35/1.4SR in the bag more often 

Do share your work with lens when it arrives!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

Dear John,

Hope all’s well
Photos are a mix of M10p Safari and M11 

I was almost hopeless it was so filmic, not that i shot one, but yeah at times with digital just more convenient… glad work out well with the digital too!

lovely mate

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

It’s a faithful reproduction as far as Leica could produce. The glass is different, the coating is improved and yet the lens gives that glow wide open. This also makes it a more useful lens than a one trick pony. Stop it down and you have the performance of a lens of our times. It delivers the rainbow flare as anticipated. 

This lens is all about the character, and it fully met my expectations. I am fortunate to have a nice collection of lenses. I love vintage lenses and have the xenons and Hektors and Summarexes, but also appreciate the modern apo lenses. Sometimes it’s cumbersome to take a xenon 50/1.5 for that look wide open and then also take a 50Luxasph or a 50apo for different situations where I’d like to stop down and get a sharp contrasty image. This lens gives you the best of both worlds. And that’s super useful. I mean if you don’t like that glow wide open, you can keep shooting f2 and further just like a normal lens, which makes this quite attractive. There’s the 1M MFD but Leica wanted to remain faithful to the older version so they didn’t change it.

The OLLUX hood has its own place, the modern one is a faithful reproduction of the same design. Changing aperture with the old one was iffy, same with the modern one and hence the second hood.

Size and weight are very close, the lens is of course 6-bit coded.

You can attach a 46 filter normally without the help of any hood mate? Im hoodless guy 😂👍

5 hours ago, jakontil said:

I was almost hopeless it was so filmic, not that i shot one, but yeah at times with digital just more convenient… glad work out well with the digital too!

lovely mate

Thank you mate, the equipment does inspire me! I’m waiting for the film rolls to be dev/scanned, happy to share shots when I can 🍻

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nthomas said:

Nice shots. Love the color rendition and atmosphere in the images. 
Hard to imagine how long should I wait for waiting list to be fulfilled.

please share more photos.

Thank you 🙏🏼 Goad to keep sharing more photos 

It’s a wonderful little lens! With the 28/5.6 and this version of the 35/1.4, the kit is very low weight 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Brown said:

Apart from the chrome and the rare black color of the housing, were there different versions 😉 to be using plural? 

I don’t know about different optical versions, but there are different physical housing versions. Some have IR marking, some don’t. Also some differences in the markings on the hoods.

Plural also applies to more than one, so here you go 😁🤷‍♂️

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1