35/1.4 Steel Rim shots - old and new

TheGodParticle/Hari

On 10/22/2022 at 9:31 AM, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

It’s a faithful reproduction as far as Leica could produce. The glass is different, the coating is improved and yet the lens gives that glow wide open. This also makes it a more useful lens than a one trick pony. Stop it down and you have the performance of a lens of our times. It delivers the rainbow flare as anticipated. 

This lens is all about the character, and it fully met my expectations. I am fortunate to have a nice collection of lenses. I love vintage lenses and have the xenons and Hektors and Summarexes, but also appreciate the modern apo lenses. Sometimes it’s cumbersome to take a xenon 50/1.5 for that look wide open and then also take a 50Luxasph or a 50apo for different situations where I’d like to stop down and get a sharp contrasty image. This lens gives you the best of both worlds. And that’s super useful. I mean if you don’t like that glow wide open, you can keep shooting f2 and further just like a normal lens, which makes this quite attractive. There’s the 1M MFD but Leica wanted to remain faithful to the older version so they didn’t change it.

The OLLUX hood has its own place, the modern one is a faithful reproduction of the same design. Changing aperture with the old one was iffy, same with the modern one and hence the second hood.

Size and weight are very close, the lens is of course 6-bit coded.

Hope that’s helpful. Anything specific you have in mind? 

How do you find the summarexes? Ive been thinking of them for awhile. Love the rendering.do your ones have clean glass? Ones i see are quite hazy and not so perfect 😖

• Like 1

6 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

The voigtlander implementation is ugly tho..whereas the steel rim is one of the three most beautiful leica lens ever designed :p (rigid, lux 50 chrome, steel rim)

Look very close to me… 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

11 hours ago, satijntje said:

It is good that there are different opinions, otherwise it would be be booring, all the same cameras, all the same lenses ……

But BP is my choice. 🙂

For the BP M, the brass black paint Voigtlander lenses pair the best. My 28 Ultron looks like it was made with my BP M10R. 

They just released the brass black paint 35f1.5 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chimichurri said:

Look very close to me… 

Yes that one is, but that is a mapcamera special edition of the VM lens, which was limited and now costs 300,000 JPY, so also not cheap. And the steel rim piece looks nowhere near as nice as the Leica steel rim does, that’s for sure. Mostly due that it’s not a straight line, but it has several dents to fit the hood. That is the best looking VM lens though, but you can’t easily get it now, and for that price to be honest, I rather pay a bit more and get the reissue Leica did.

• Like 1

Original, M3 version

• Like 19

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Original, M3 version

• Like 9

Original, M3 version

• Like 5

Original, M3 version

• Like 7

I'm interested in this lens for its size and old school handling of light but that rainbow flare looks like it could get tiring quite quickly. Does it largely go away as you close down? 

I might well take a punt on one when they become more widely available.

19 minutes ago, wattsy said:

I'm interested in this lens for its size and old school handling of light but that rainbow flare looks like it could get tiring quite quickly. Does it largely go away as you close down? 

I might well take a punt on one when they become more widely available.

That’s one of the trademark signatures of this lens. Mostly occurs wide open and only in certain angles. You’ll know how to avoid it / create it the more you use it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Yellow_78 said:

How do you find the summarexes? Ive been thinking of them for awhile. Love the rendering.do your ones have clean glass? Ones i see are quite hazy and not so perfect 😖

You’re right, these lovely lenses are very old and tend to develop fog/haze and have stiff focus movement. I was fortunate Ottmar Michaely was still active some years ago, he serviced my old lenses. He’s no longer active, having sold his workshop to Leica. 

I love the charming look they deliver on my CCD Monochrom as well the M11. If you’re looking for one, I can let you know if one of them turns up for sale at my usual dealers 

• Like 1

vor 13 Minuten schrieb shirubadanieru:

That’s one of the trademark signatures of this lens. Mostly occurs wide open and only in certain angles. You’ll know how to avoid it / create it the more you use it.

The Woodstock 1968 look!

Btw at a pricepoint under 3k€: is "Made in Germany" engraved on it?

3 hours ago, shirubadanieru said:

Looks really great, probably taken at 0.7m? That’s really the benefit of the goggles! 

Probably at about .7, correct. That .65 minimum distance (plus the super cool steam punk look of the goggles, lol) is what sold me on the M3 version— The 1m minimum, and the feel/redesign of the infinity lock on the heritage version is what (for now) killed the deal in terms of getting the new one.

I would like to have the e46 filter size, and the freedom from worry about damaging a 10k+ USD lens while out and about that the new one would provide, but for now, the 1m minimum just falls too short in terms of functionality for me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Apochromat said:

The Woodstock 1968 look!

Btw at a pricepoint under 3k€: is "Made in Germany" engraved on it?