Update regarding 1.4/35 Summilux 'steel rim' vignetting with filter & hood.

MarkP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, Crem said:

I emailed Leica "info at" and asked about the wobble. This is the reply I received...

This is the video I sent them. Anyone want to add their opinion here? They also told me to send it in since I asked about sticky focus. I've heard different opinions from "this is normal" to the wobble being removed from newer batches. Mine is from the November 2022 batch.

Same wobble on my Nov22 unit, but honestly I did not recognise this as a problem until I have started hearing about this wobble on the net. I am not sure it is a problem. Maybe that my previous Summilux v2 had a "kind of flimsy" body compared to Leicas standard that my expectations are different when it comes to the lux pre-asph? whether this remake or older Sx, I always felt that this model is generally a bit less "solid" and less than perfect in terms of tolerances (vs what I see with the Lux Asph or the APO 35)   

Regarding the focus, hard to tell, mine is perfect but it is a second hand unit (previous owner used it for a couple of month). Maybe it loosens with time? Even my APO-35 had a very stiff and somehow uneven focus stiffness (harder near infinity) but it kind of loosened with time and now it is ok. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, fil-m said:

Same wobble on my Nov22 unit, but honestly I did not recognise this as a problem until I have started hearing about this wobble on the net. I am not sure it is a problem.

Unsure if this is useful to anyone or whether it's been mentioned before but (only when manipulated up/down) my Reissue 'wobbles' the same amount as my two v2's.  And both the v2 and Reissue wobble in this way a little bit more than v1, which also exhibits some play (wobbles?) .

So it seems far more likely that this is normal and 'as designed' (as Leica have also stated), than it is that all 4 of my lenses are duds. 

Considering the play is observed only when forcibly manipulating the aperture ring in a way that is counter-intuitive to using the lens (i..e up/down) I'd never noticed this on any of these frequently-used lenses, before reading these threads and going looking for it.    

Hope that helps and apologies if I missed comments that describe other wobbles ! 

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Same here, wobble is a non-issue, that's the actual design of the aperture ring in the pre-asph and reissue and it's the same in all lenses. I also looked at the videos some people took and nothing seemed off. The hood thing is annoying indeed and happy to see Leica acknowledging it and providing a solution, but the wobble is a non-issue. 

Edited by shirubadanieru
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, JimmyCheng said:

can you fit the new hood on to old summilux pre-a lenses?

I doubt it as the new lens has E46 size front.  The older v2 pre-asph are similar to the size of lenses that take 39mm filters.  (hoods and caps from E39 sumicrons fit the pre-asph v2) 

Edited by grahamc

I’m off to my AD in Paris (my APO 35 M has come in at last so I’m excited to be getting that). 

I’m taking with me my steel rim 35 reissue. I found the hard vignette with the screw in round hood unfixable in post, so I’d like to see if they can organise the replacement discussed in this thread. For the record I didn’t receive an email as some others have. But hopefully the AD can sort it out. 

My problem is actually with the supplied OLLUX style hood. It won’t attach securely. A gentle tap with one finger will see it detach. Anyone else have this problem? Am I missing something simple?

Will update. Hoping the latter issue is my own stupidity. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

OK, some good news… confirmation of my stupidity will have to await some other occasion: my “OLLUX” is indeed defective. It will attach but as they demonstrated, it is supposed to make a definite click when it is in place. Mine does not do that. The little clamps don’t find the assigned grooves on the lens. So, that hood is now at the AD awaiting exchange. 

(My 35SX Steel was manufactured in July 2022 and I bought it about a day after it was announced last year. So, in case you have an early copy like mine - or not, this may not be relevant - do check that your OLLUX makes a definite click into place. It should feel secure.)

They have also requested the replacement round hood. 

Meantime I picked up my long awaited copy of the 35APO M, so I have enough distraction. 😄

• Haha 1

With both of the hoods tending to be problematic, I wish that I could select a “hood delete” option, when ordering the re-issued Steel Rim Summilux, resulting in a savings of a few hundred US dollars. A significant reason that I would want such a lens would be its lowered profile, probably using a Heliopan brass step-up ring to act as armor against minor impacts.

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 10:04 PM, MarkP said:
Unfortunately, we found that this combination leads to undesirable vignetting. Leica lenses are known for their excellent image performance, we are extremely sorry that we did not live up to the Leica standard in this case.

We are already working diligently on a technical solution in the form of a newly designed lens hood.  As soon as this is available, we will inform you and provide you with a replacement free of charge. We thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

This was in February. Did Leica meanwhile supply a revised lens hood? 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 12:46 PM, Winedemonium said:

OK, some good news… confirmation of my stupidity will have to await some other occasion: my “OLLUX” is indeed defective. It will attach but as they demonstrated, it is supposed to make a definite click when it is in place. Mine does not do that. The little clamps don’t find the assigned grooves on the lens. So, that hood is now at the AD awaiting exchange. 

(My 35SX Steel was manufactured in July 2022 and I bought it about a day after it was announced last year. So, in case you have an early copy like mine - or not, this may not be relevant - do check that your OLLUX makes a definite click into place. It should feel secure.)

They have also requested the replacement round hood. 

Meantime I picked up my long awaited copy of the 35APO M, so I have enough distraction. 😄

An update on this lens. I am still waiting - almost 12 weeks now - for Leica to replace the faulty OLLUX they supplied with my lens. There is also no update on the replacement for the faulty (vignetting) vented shade. 

On 6/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, Al Brown said:

Yes, I have spoken with Wetzlar Customer care AND Service department on the phone today, nothing is coming in the immediate future. Eventually yes, but no dates given.

They already have your money and don’t care. Just like the paint issues on the titan M-A.

I think I posted this this morning in the wrong thread, so here it is again for this more relevant thread:

Ok, a solution of sorts for the lenshood/filter/vignetting issue that bugs many of us who bought the 35 Summilux Classic, and cheaper than the other option of just buying the otherwise excellent VM 35 Nokton I.4 II SC......( which is worth getting anyway if you use B&W film )

The other day I found and ordered this lens hood off of Amazon Fr:

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07HF1JRH1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It arrived this morning much sooner than expected and I have tested it out on my M10-R with the 35 Summilux and a Leica x16 13055 ND filter and there is no vignetting now, then re-mounting the Leica vented hood and re-testing again with the same ND on the lens and there's the annoying hard corner vignetting. So for the outlay of €7.99 for the hood bought off of Amazon the filter/vignetting problem does go away. Downside is that the slots in the vented hood do not quite line up properly so there's not a clear shot through them in the viewfinder, however this is not a big deal and varies with filter thickness anyway, it's a hell of a lot better than hard vignetting.........But then the same thing happens with the Leica supplied hood depending on the threads and thickness of whichever filter you use. One nice bonus with the €7.99 lens hood is that you get a cap that fits over the hood and you get some decent extra lens protection that way.

The same hood / cap combo can be found in the USA off of Ebay, here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/264632460681?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=0a1772409af3403c87ee51471e3f9aae&bu=43186400381&osub=-1~1&crd=20230622093412&segname=11051

I hope that Leica will come up with the solution it owes to us who bought into this otherwise magic little Summilux, a replacement lens hood needs to be thought out and executed well. It occurred to me throughout all this dance that if a hood was designed that could accept filters inside the hood like used to be offered with the earlier versions of the Summilux 35 that could be a better idea with using say a 49mm filter thread inside the hood.............Don't know. But meanwhile here is a temporary answer to the annoyance with a grand outlay of about €8,00. The way Voigtlander have done all this with the 35 1.4 Nokton kit is still way better than Leica's efforts in my opinion though.

And here's a snap or two of the Summilux and lens hood on a M10-R and M6:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2023 at 10:00 PM, Winedemonium said:

Update: today I collected the replacement OLLUX. Now that I can see how it fits to the lens I'm really happy with it. And it looks like it offers quite a lot of protection to that front element. 

Is its connection to the rim still kinda fragile when mounted and if you bump it falls down?

Hi,  I just found a 48mm filter (I am using an old canon 48mm filter) plus little two side tape can be perfectly fit into the hood .😌

seems my concern was resolved 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...