SL3 Rumors

trickness

4 hours ago, Dex_Keshin said:

So Leica Rumors said "expect a new SL camera (SL3?) in September – November timeframe." 

And a member from the new 35 50 Summicron thread replied "SL3 won't be on the market before 2024.
The boss of my Leica Store had a 3 days meeting with Leica HQ. SL3 won't be out before 2024, it's a fact."

I hope there will be a new SL Camera as soon as possible. However, if both information are believable, it is possible that there will be another SL camera on the pipeline. Because Leica Rumors is not sure about the exact model, and the member is so sure there is no "SL3" for this year.

Perhaps SL3-S? 

Or a SL-E that could be a rebadged SL2(-S)? (Since there is also a rumour about a Q-E, which claims to be the same as Q2) 

Or a rebadged S5II and manufactured by Panasonic (Just like LX100II & D-Lux 7), but I doubt Leica wants to put a fan inside the camera.

It is also possible that SL3x will be announced in late 2023, but that it will not be available in stores before 2024 sometime. Irrespective of this, Leica lenses and bodies tend to be delayed, the most recent examples being the medium format S3 and SL-21mm. But both SL3x and SL21 will eventually come...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, helged said:

It is also possible that SL3x will be announced in late 2023, but that it will not be available in stores before 2024 sometime. Irrespective of this, Leica lenses and bodies tend to be delayed, the most recent examples being the medium format S3 and SL-21mm. But both SL3x and SL21 will eventually come...

SL3 is coming this year. They’ve been pushing the SL2 fantastically hard the past few months, it’s like a fever pitch. They’re clearing inventory because the SL2 based camera values will totally nosedive once the SL3 comes with a new faster focusing system for probably the same money (as SL2). Already the discounts on SL2-S have gotten so large they’re not much more new than you can buy used. And there are going to be a ton of these camera available used for cheap when the SL-3 drops.

SL3-S maybe 2024, but I 100% believe we’ll see SL3, Q3, and M11M this year. 

Edited by trickness
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, trickness said:

SL3 is coming this year. They’ve been pushing the SL2 fantastically hard the past few months, it’s like a fever pitch. They’re clearing inventory because the SL2 based camera values will totally nosedive once the SL3 comes with a new faster focusing system for probably the same money (as SL2). Already the discounts on SL2-S have gotten so large they’re not much more new than you can buy used. And there are going to be a ton of these camera available used for cheap when the SL-3 drops.

M11M and Q3 will come before this summer. Sl3 will be released next year. My two cents.

Edited by fededuran
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, trickness said:

I totally believe they will be announced this year.  Actually having one in hand will be unlikely before sometime in 2024.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Saussure said:

The ideal solution for me would be that Leica produce a Q-L (an L-mount Q3)

The lenses would still be L mount lenses, so large and heavy. You still have to engineer where to place the shutter, sensor and the L mount in a camera body that was never designed for this independent lens configuration. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2023 at 5:07 PM, trickness said:

I won't be so sure.

My store had a 3 days workshop with Leica HQ. Concerning the SL3 he told me not before the end of 2023, but most certainly at the beginning of 2024.

I was asking him about the risk of buying a SL2 and having the new iteration coming in 6 months. He clearly told me I could keep it for almost one year before the new one will be out.
It was at the beginning of February 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, romaing said:

I won't be so sure.

My store had a 3 days workshop with Leica HQ. Concerning the SL3 he told me not before the end of 2023, but most certainly at the beginning of 2024.

I was asking him about the risk of buying a SL2 and having the new iteration coming in 6 months. He clearly told me I could keep it for almost one year before the new one will be out.
It was at the beginning of February 

Which is exactly what they’d say if they wanted to sell remaining SL2 inventory before the SL3 launch.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

Dealers still need to shift stock regardless of whether it’s new or old. It’s not about conspiracy theories or lying; it’s just common business sense.

I completely agree, and every manufacturer has to manage that -- the conspiracy theory I referenced was when another poster suggested that Leica would lie to dealers, and that dealers would come here and lie, just to sell a few extra cameras. Not sure why they had to throw that into the conversation. Maybe they know something I don't??? 

I am very interested in when the SL3 will arrive, and what new features it will have. But in the meantime I am happily using my SL2 that I got just last month and am not at all worried that I overpaid. Even if a new model comes sooner than I thought, my SL2 does - and still will - create amazing images. 

Brad

• Like 2

If the SL3 has sortwise sensor as the m11, I will buy it. Though I might wait some months so child diseases are polished out (if any). It might be early or late 2024… so still far away.

For that reason I just upgraded to the sl2-s: 12 months of photography is a lot of time to enjoy…

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kobra said:

Or exactly what they would say to their dealers if it is true. Why all the conspiracy theories? 

Brad

Because it’s time. They’ve been pushing the SL2 so hard the past few months, all sorts of package deals, the SL2-S has been discounted so heavily it’s within reach of the used price of the camera….plus Leica Rumors has already mentioned it was coming (likely late) this year along with M11M and Q3. With everything going on in the market from the competition, you really think its going to be another year plus before the SL3 comes?