Firmware 1.108 NOT Available

Shootist

Guest tummydoc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok. What business school teaches the following scenario?

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise Leica's entire staff just matriculated from business school last month. I thought perhaps at least one of them has been around throughout the M8's brief but stormy history and could anticipate the reaction that has taken place here today.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

Home on a quick break, golf course is just 2 miles awy. i love clients that don't tell you anything. All of a sudden they want to show these tonight on screen. So now i have to process 1000 images. Life is a journey.

Anyway guys and girls there really is nothing going on in this firmware.I still have the same bad habbits i did weeks ago. LOL

Please there is nothing sinister going on here, it looks to me Leica has replaced some parts with new ones or ran out of stock and updated things a little and needed to zap something. honestly i would be the first on there case if i thought it was any different and was a worry. please take my advice get your lens cloth out and sensor swaps and clean your lenses and sensors and go shoot on this very nice weekend and enjoy yourselfs. I would expect the next REAL firmware update this would be in it anyway because it is certainly not causing me any harm at all and i have the first camera's that hit the streets

Ah - because one is able to actually understand what an e-mail says and refuses to participate in a frenzy of disbelief and conspiracy theories one is , let me recapitulate:

1. a Leica cheerleader

2. a blind believer

3. a Leica apologist.

Hmm... Please explain, as such an exemplary native speaker, to this humble stumbling foreigner, where he misunderstood you.

Ok. I get it. It's a minor change that requires the complete replacement of the main circuit board and it does nothing to improve the camera in any way. Since it is now in production it has been in the pipeline for months but it didn't effect the firmware releases either. We just changed a transistor we can't get any longer.:eek:

PUHLEEZE spare me.

If I were having all of the issues that Leica has been having with this camera I too would be seeking a fix and if it required changing the main board I would do it too.

With a camera the 10 months after release experiences the following:

1. Battery Woes

2. My second M8, M8 ver.2 and M8 repairs...

3. My first freeze...

4. M8 Freezes in Desert

5. M8 Kaput

6. Who to Contact at Leica NJ?

7. Dark Hue In Bright Sunlight

8. Lens wont turn to infinity

9. Diagonal Streaks?

10. I wish Leica returned calls..

11. A Type of Banding?

12. Fixing the On/Off Switch

All in the last few days and you wonder why they might replace a main board...

I looked on the Canon and Nikon high end forums on DCR and could not even come close to as many complaints, especially on cameras that had been in production for 6 months or more. Only the Sigma forum comes close.

These are the reasons I am suspicious not because Leica is a bad company or anything like that. Some of these issue are real and some are not but a 10 month old camera should have very few.

Guest guy_mancuso

hey this is what i get for my fee for shooting this. LOL

Yes that is a new Bentley shot with the 28 cron in the dark at ISO 640 and a nikon flash. See it works

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Guest tummydoc

Once again Guy, the fact that you (and Sean) are the ones offering a clarification and reassurance rather than Stefan or Ralph or some other Leica official, hammers home the sad fact that Leica has a serious problem with communication.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok. I get it. It's a minor change that requires the complete replacement of the main circuit board and it does nothing to improve the camera in any way. Since it is now in production it has been in the pipeline for months but it didn't effect the firmware releases either. We just changed a transistor we can't get any longer.:eek:

PUHLEEZE spare me.

If I were having all of the issues that Leica has been having with this camera I too would be seeking a fix and if it required changing the main board I would do it too.

With a camera the 10 months after release experiences the following:

1. Battery Woes

2. My second M8, M8 ver.2 and M8 repairs...

3. My first freeze...

4. M8 Freezes in Desert

5. M8 Kaput

6. Who to Contact at Leica NJ?

7. Dark Hue In Bright Sunlight

8. Lens wont turn to infinity

9. Diagonal Streaks?

10. I wish Leica returned calls..

11. A Type of Banding?

12. Fixing the On/Off Switch

All in the last few days and you wonder why they might replace a main board...

I looked on the Canon and Nikon high end forums on DCR and could not even come close to as many complaints, especially on cameras that had been in production for 6 months or more. Only the Sigma forum comes close.

These are the reasons I am suspicious not because Leica is a bad company or anything like that. Some of these issue are real and some are not but a 10 month old camera should have very few.

I offer you 2000$ for your worthless and useless camera....

Guest guy_mancuso

Vinay it is communicated by leica just this morning in a e-mail. Problem is people find a need to not believe them. Honestly there are 6 beta testers or more on this forum and some i have recommended to leica and they won't speak up because they can't. I asked leica if i could and they gave me the holy blessing but as you can see and what leica warned me of it can backfire. so be it, I honestly hope folks can believe in Leica and there desire to actually tell folks of this before the fact than after the fact which honestly i think is a good thing to do but some want to throw it back in Leica's face and yes there still needs improvements and such to the firmware and that is something they are working on. Slow yes but it will come. Now there is another issue mixed in this thread that should not be because it deserves it's own thread and that is Manuels sitiuation which looks like a distributor issue . If i thought or any beta tester thought there was cause for alarm we would have told leica. It seems fine so what is the real problem honestly.

Once again Guy, the fact that you (and Sean) are the ones offering a clarification and reassurance rather than Stefan or Ralph or some other Leica official, hammers home the sad fact that Leica has a serious problem with communication.

Read the email again...

There is nothing more to tell. To me, it's perfectly clear what they have done and why.

Perpetuating this paranoia on this thread is not helpful.

Guest tummydoc
Ah - because one is able to actually understand what an e-mail says and refuses to participate in a frenzy of disbelief and conspiracy theories one is , let me recapitulate:

1. a Leica cheerleader

2. a blind believer

3. a Leica apologist.

Hmm... Please explain, as such an exemplary native speaker, to this humble stumbling foreigner, where he misunderstood you.

I doubt I'm capable of preparing an understandable clarification for one who so thoroughly misunderstood what was clearly written in several ways several times already. I'm neither 1., 2. nor 3. and I agree that this entire issue is ridiculous. Nonetheless there are people who continue to suspect that there are now significant advantages to an M8 and will not be convinced otherwise. If that was Leica's intent, to torpedo the second-hand market in M8s and foster an enhanced image for the upcoming large price increase, then it was a brilliant strategy although at the sacrifice of the loyalty of current M8 owners who are neither 1., 2. or 3. If it was, as I believe, an attempt by Leica to pre-empt a "frenzy of disbelief and conspiracy theories" by proactively explaining 1.108, the evidence is right here that it failed.

This thread is a joke ..... there are serious people offended because Leica did not give them firmware they do not need ... they scream for a placebo and want to assure us this would be the only right way to run a business.........what are you guys ..... must be a lot of docters on this board :rolleyes:

Nonetheless there are people who continue to suspect that there are now significant advantages to an M8 and will not be convinced otherwise.

What on earth would give them that idea?

Scare-mongering on internet forums, perhaps?

(I am going to regret asking this, I know...) What would convince you that this is merely as it says in the email? Why set up some ridiculous conspiracy theory, based upon nothing?

I doubt I'm capable of preparing an understandable clarification for one who so thoroughly misunderstood what was clearly written in several ways several times already. I'm neither 1., 2. nor 3. and I agree that this entire issue is ridiculous. Nonetheless there are people who continue to suspect that there are now significant advantages to an M8 and will not be convinced otherwise. If that was Leica's intent, to torpedo the second-hand market in M8s and foster an enhanced image for the upcoming large price increase, then it was a brilliant strategy although at the sacrifice of the loyalty of current M8 owners who are neither 1., 2. or 3. If it was, as I believe, an attempt by Leica to pre-empt a "frenzy of disbelief and conspiracy theories" by proactively explaining 1.108, the evidence is right here that it failed.

Your words, me old China, not mine. You were calling the names.....

I think the real issue here is that whomever is translating the press release from German to English learned his/her writing style from reading Douglas Adams novels.

"The Vogon ships were huge as office blocks, silent as birds, and hung in the air in exactly the same way that bricks don't."

Wouldn't it have been simpler to say this:

"As of today, September 21, 2007, all Leica M8's shipped from the factory will be loaded with firmware version 1.108, due to the replacement of an electronic part used in the manufacture of the camera. All pre-existing M8's are not affected by this change and there is no need to upgrade from version 1.107 as there is no new functionality in the update. All future firmware updates will address all revisions of the camera."

I think the following is good enough, and says essentially the same thing:

"As of now, all LEICA M8 cameras produced are equipped with the new firmware version 1.108. For the user, this firmware version is identical to the current version 1.107. This was necessary because certain electronic parts were no longer available and had to be replaced. If you have the firmware version 1.107 installed in your camera, your LEICA M8 will remain absolutely up to date. An update to the version 1.108 is unnecessary. Hence, this firmware version will not be available as a download on our homepage."

What you seem to be saying Vinay is that Leica should have either not told anyone about the change - the secrecy that previous management was accused of - so no one would feel they had an inferior product, or rather than change a component they should have abandoned the camera.

Just out of curiosity, if you'd been the management at Leica what would you have done and how would you have handled the announcement?

I hate to appear to be adding fuel to this fire BUT... one doesn't need to change firmware because a transistor changed. This has to be a significant hardware change.

Significant? Hardly. Maybe the USB support chip got cancelled, and they had to use another with other timings, and so they had to expand firmware 1.107 to handle the new chip as well. Something like that would be my guess.

I visited my Leica store today and they said something similar to this, and that all future updates will be for all versions of the M8.

Guest tummydoc
Read the email again...

There is nothing more to tell. To me, it's perfectly clear what they have done and why.

Perpetuating this paranoia on this thread is not helpful.

I've been a huge customer of Leica for almost 20 years, I suspect I've contributed much more to their well-being than you, and I resent being erroneously lumped with those who are perpetuating the paranoia. Leica's announcement clearly has had a negative reaction, which I doubt they anticipated, but they should have given the number of other times there has been paranoia and rumours stemming from something they've either said badly or failed to say. It is as clear to me as to you what they have done, and why. Obviously, it isn't as clear to numerous others who disagree with your and my perception. People on the fence about purchasing an M8 are going to read Leica's announcement on some forum even if you manage to whitewash it from this one, and some of them are going to interpret it the way John has done, vs you or I. The impact of that on sales of M8s already in the dealer network with 1.107 is an unknown--unless a crystal ball was issued you along with your moderator's cap. Reassurance from Guy or Sean or you or I or the Pope isn't going to change that impact. A clarification from Leica would be in order about now. Not for you or I, we don't need one. But some people clearly do.

Here is a little test of trust and human psychology:

If you had the opportunity to exchange your M8 for the newer version for only the cost of shipping and you were told that there was no functional difference would you do it?

I would BECAUSE: Leica has a financial motive to NOT be completely honest.

This is absolute madness and the product of rampant paranoia and a pathetic inability to trust. Anyone who thinks this way, and I explicitly include Manuel, I would talk to your shrink about this, not to your lawyer.

In Denmark we have an expression: thief thinks everyone steals.

Curt, patronising and sarcastic, all in one sentence!

So, thousands of M8 owners load a completely un-necessary and useless (to their M8) piece of firmware. What would happen then?

probably the same thing that happened with

the 1.107 f/w ... nothing (or at least nothing

perceptible). ;):)

I think the following is good enough, and says essentially the same thing

Carsten, it makes perfect sense to me. In fact as far as I can see the only reason for being concerned would be if you thought that Leica was lying, and they had in fact changed the hardware to improve the performance. Personally I believe them.