Firmware 1.108 NOT Available

Shootist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"Subject to changes in design, manufacture and range."

That, for me as a continental European lawyer, closes the discussion. Punto Final.

Let's trust Leica; trust is something you give, not receive. You give it to your camera everytime you go out.

Stop worrying about its makers! That only spoils the fun and brings nothing extra.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Perhaps Leica could have handled this better if this firmware release was not so closely timed to the price increase. Together they do tend to lead to the speculation that that there is an M8(I) and an M8(II).

I gave up long ago trying to keep up with buying the latest version of a digital camera, and I mentally write-off the money spent on the purchases I make.

I hope to be enjoying my current M8s for some while yet and look forward to any new firmware releases.

Jeff

Tsk.tsk tsk.... I had a good nights sleep, went to dog training, had a nice brunch and cappucino, and the first thing I find on opening this forum is that you lot are still blathering away at this nonsense??? It must be the Leica, owners appear have too much time and money to spend on their private little games, and don't seem to be out taking photographs....

Carsten,

Maybe changing out the main board is not a significant change to you; however, it is to me.

I must have missed the bit where Leica said that they changed out the main board. Could you point me in the right direction?

Like Mark said, in some places on the board it looks like there are holes for several different versions of a chip. My expectation is that one chip was changed for another, possibly using a new (but existing) set of holes, end of story. No main board change.

1.- It is illegal to sell a good which has been already sold, used and repaired “as new”. It doesn’t matter if it was just for a minute.

Here you go again with wild assertions. All Leica cameras are used as part of the testing process. Leica only sells second-hand stuff according to you.

2.- A Company which sells goods which don’t fulfill with the specifications advertised can be suited for fraud and false publicity.

Which assertions have not been fulfilled? The camera makes some of the best photos of any camera. Sure there are problems, and Leica is working on them.

My solicitor will prepare a letter for Leica asking explanations. Depending on Leica’s answers I will decide what to do. In France “class actions” doesn’t exist.

Good god, you are the worst kind of human being. Full of false self-importance, and driving up the prices of products through irresponsible actions. Truly disgusting.

I have no problem with criticising Leica products, unlike another one of your false assertions claims. They are not perfect, and there is definitely room for improvement. However, quasi-deliberately misunderstanding a perfectly clear memo from Leica, and then puffing yourself up with hot air and calling your lawyer, how revolting is that. Humanity has so far to go it is not even funny.

Don't bother responding to this. I won't read another post from you.

Carsten a bit of a Frank Sinatra this morning.........:D:)

Well, I don't get your reference (I would be interested to hear what it means), but that post of Manuel's really gets my hackles up. People who sue others over the slightest misunderstanding are barely part of the same race, IMO.

.......Frank was known as Cranky Franky ( hated the press, sometimes everyone):D :D :) no harm intended here

Haha, well I am cranky today all right :)

(I just found out that smileys count as images, with a max of 5! I had no idea. I had to recycle one of yours to get mine to take.)

As I have posted in other threads, Leica is treading on very thin legal ice in the U.S. because, first, they failed to include any warranty information or limitation with the M8 leaving them open to unlimited warranty. Second, the camera does not fully meet the published specifications (8 bits versus 16 bits and others).

John,

Leica's original M8 English-language brochure clearly states, "Subject to modifications in design, specification and offer." As an attorney, you should know to read the fine print.

Larry

231 posts in less than 28 hours. May be a record for this forum!

Having said that, it is one of the most bizarre threads I've read here. After reading the first page I skipped to page 12 and starting reading it backwards. Made just as much sense that way...

Guest tummydoc

Agreed it's silly. As is the immutable fact that henceforth those internal changes will become part of Leica Mythology. People who buy a 1.108 M8 will swear they can see improvements in this or that. People buying second-hand will strive to determine if the M8 in question left the factory as a 1.107 or 1.108, long after all M8s have been updated to higher-numbered firmware versions, and the fictitious, mythical "M8 version 1" will be forever stigmatised in the minds of the obsessive. Ridiculous, insane, nonsensical. But mark my words, it will happen.

John,

Leica's original M8 English-language brochure clearly states, "Subject to modifications in design, specification and offer." As an attorney, you should know to read the fine print.

Larry

Larry,

First, they have to publish the change for it to be effective and they have never published a change in specifications. Second, even if they had, if they had not when I purchased it, then the specifications published when I purchased it are in effect. They are the masters of their universe and can publish a change to the specifications whenever they chose but they can't make a change and hide it from the public. It has not changed on their web site or printed material.