Firmware 1.108 NOT Available

Shootist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Problem is people find a need to not believe them.

Guy, In all seriousness, I really don't think that's the issue. The issue is that folks have spent $5000 on a piece of hardware, and are now finding out that that there is an improved version becoming available, and they're not being told what the improvements to the new version are. Now I agree that there is 99% chance this is a non-event and the chances are that the changes have no impact on anything a user would see. But given the M8's history, frankly if Leica though it could announce a new version of the M8, and not provide details of the changes, and not get this reaction, they're in cloud cuckoo land. As someone previously said, a combination of too much and too little information. This is marketing 101 stuff......

Seriously, to the Leica folks reading this, life will be a whole lot easier if you just provide a clear simple explanation of the changes....

Sandy

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest guy_mancuso

If it had anything in it than we would be able to download it, otherwise it is meaningless to us the users currently running 1.107 on the existing camera's is basically the real layman's language.

Frankly, I fail to see what all the fuss is about.

I recall a saying from my youth 'A little learning is a dangerous thing'.

I have no idea how many M8's have been sold so far, but I suspect that it's in excess of 10K (reading between the lines). If that's the case, and a significant number had been faulty, necessitating a return to Solms, then it would be public knowledge, and the camera would have been withdrawn from sale, because Leica would not be willing to risk their future sales on the back of a faulty M8.

There are probably more than 9000 happy M8 owners and users out there who have never experienced any problems. We never get to hear about them. We 'knowledgeable' forum members will thrash out the smallest problem, because that's our nature, and this latest episode is no different. So what?? There's a new version of firmware, that's only applicable to the latest models, and Leica explain it by saying that thes later models have a different component. Again - so what!!

For 99% of all Leica owners, this will make no difference at all, and even if they knew, would they care?? Would it affect the way they use their camera?? Not in the least.

As for the ' will it affect the second hand price of my camera complaints'? Of course not. I don't buy a camera for it's second hand value, neither do I doubt do the vast majority of buyers. Certainly, in the UK, these cameras are still difficult to get hold of, and from what I can see, used prices are running close to new prices.

For gawds sake, forget what you read, forget what you don't really need to know, forget secondhand prices, forget everything that is unimportant, and get out there and use your camera, enjoy it.

If it breaks down, as some are sure to - a percentage of Mercedes and BMW's break down, as consumer items are sure to do from time to time, then you are one of the unlucky ones. Send it back, get it repaired, and start using it again. It's not going to leave you stranded by the side of the road, miles from anywhere.

The M8 is a great camera. I know it is, and if you are an owner, you probably think it is too. Forget what others say.... most will just be jealous, or have an axe to grind.

Guy, In all seriousness, I really don't think that's the issue. The issue is that folks have spent $5000 on a piece of hardware, and are now finding out that that there is an improved version becoming available, and they're not being told what the improvements to the new version are.

Where does it say ANYWHERE it's an improved version? Nowhere that I have read.

This is NOT an improved version! It's a firmware tweak to take account of a substitute part.

The issue is that folks have spent $5000 on a piece of hardware, and are now finding out that that there is an improved version becoming available,

Where is there _any_ mention of improvement other than is the speculation on this thread? Speculation without any basis in fact.

Guest tummydoc

(I am going to regret asking this, I know...) What would convince you that this is merely as it says in the email?

And well you ought to regret it, since I've stated at least a dozen times now that I believe it IS merely as it says in the emal. Obviously some other people do not believe that, and they may be intractable, I don't know, but Leica needs to step up and spell it out in black and white, for those who aren't certain. Simple point, I really don't understand why you insist on polarising everyone who post into two opposing camps.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here is a little test of trust and human psychology:

If you had the opportunity to exchange your M8 for the newer version for only the cost of shipping and you were told that there was no functional difference would you do it?

NO!

My camera stalls everytime after I download files from the SD card to my computer, when the SD card is reinstalled into the M8. It's most likely the SD cards fault, not the camera. Need a quick pop of the battery.

The camera stalls every now and then, the sensor cleaning option in the menu seems to be a problem, the menu flickers. I get black and white stripes if I quickly fire up the M8 and snap a pic. Picture is still there, but the initial preview is messed up etc.

I don't send it back to Solms or bitch about every little problem to Leica nor my dealer. I'm happy with my M8.

I couldn't care less if Leica has redesign some parts of the camera, and launched a new firmware to use with it.

I bet Leica would never launch a M8.2. It's rediculous. .2...? When they launch a completely redesigned and new spec digital M it will most likely bare the name of M9.

Guest tummydoc
Guy, In all seriousness, I really don't think that's the issue. The issue is that folks have spent $5000 on a piece of hardware, and are now finding out that that there is an improved version becoming available, and they're not being told what the improvements to the new version are. Now I agree that there is 99% chance this is a non-event and the chances are that the changes have no impact on anything a user would see. But given the M8's history, frankly if Leica though it could announce a new version of the M8, and not provide details of the changes, and not get this reaction, they're in cloud cuckoo land. As someone previously said, a combination of too much and too little information. This is marketing 101 stuff......

Seriously, to the Leica folks reading this, life will be a whole lot easier if you just provide a clear simple explanation of the changes....

Sandy

Thank you Sandy, for re-iterating my opinion (though I'd have to say I'm 100% certain this is a non-event). It'd be a shame if the creator of CornerFix were branded a troll and thrown off the forum for "perpetuating the paranoia" ;)

Where is there _any_ mention of improvement other than is the speculation on this thread?

Guy, Steve, at some level, it is an improvement, if only to Leica's ability to manufacture the thing - whether you call it a change or an improvement or an engineering change or whatever else makes no difference to Leica's failure to communicate whatever it actually is effectively.

Sandy

Guest guy_mancuso

Sandy

Hold on is there any word that says IMPROVED and i think that is the real stumbling block . i don't think there is any improvement but new parts that need a zap in the firmware. i'm shooting it and trust me i have the same stuff i have had there is no improvement here. I would like to hear maybe the word updated but improved i really don't think so, reason your not able too download it and like I said earlier it will most likely be in the next firmware update anyway. leica just did not see a need to install it on existing camera's. Guy's your are really reading into this way too far.

If you folks really want to download it and make you feel better than we can ask Leica to load it up. They just did not see a need and neither do i . If they thought it would cause any harm to us beta testers they would not have given it too us. Seriously i think we are better served in making our lists on the improvements we seek than worry about this one.

Well, I see the conspiratorial gnashing of teeth on this forum has now officially surpassed that resident on most Apple Mac forums.

As a long-time Mac user (since 1987) but a short-time Leica owner, I have to ask -- are Leica forum members always this twitchy?

If you folks really want to download it and make you feel better than we can ask Leica to load it up.

Guy, I think you misunderstand the concern that's being expressed. The concern is not that the new firmware is better than that the old, and is being withheld from people. The concern is that the new M8 hardware is in some way better than the old. As I said, probably not the case, but the way I read the posts here, that the concern.

Sandy

Guest tummydoc
If you folks really want to download it and make you feel better than we can ask Leica to load it up. They just did not see a need and neither do i .

Me neither, at least not at this point. Can't un-ring that bell. 1.108 is only temporary (remember 1.091?). Once the next upgrade is released in November it will be impossible for anyone to tell by the firmware whether it was a pre- or post-1.108 body. Of course I'm sure there will once again be a fervent search for Leica users' favourite holy grail, the Defining Serial Number :D

Guest tummydoc
Guy, I think you misunderstand the concern that's being expressed. The concern is not that the new firmware is better than that the old, and is being withheld from people. The concern is that the new M8 hardware is in some way better than the old. As I said, probably not the case, but the way I read the posts here, that the concern.

Sandy

There you go again making sense Sandy...clearly a sanctionable offence :D

... The concern is not that the new firmware is better than that the old...

It may be true that the new CCD stuff is better. It may also be true that it's worse. In any case, Leica doesn't have any choice, any more than we would have buying a MacBookPro one year after the release -- when dozens of internal components have been changed and the firmware "readjusted."

This is no mountain. It really is a molehill.

Of course I'm sure there will once again be a fervent search for Leica users' favourite holy grail, the Defining Serial Number :D

So do we know which serial number have the changed hardware?

Only joking, it's only a matter of time before the question gets asked for real though <grin>

Guest guy_mancuso

Sandy

No i doubt that very highly that the parts are better , it really sounds to me that different version of a part they needed to buy some of or something as simply running out of parts or different vendor. This is not a version 2 of the M8 far from it . If there was there would be a load of improvements like a faster processor or something like that. but nothing here.

It's funny we may never know this kind of stuff with Nikon and Canon they maybe right in the middle of a run and go damn we need more parts and just use them and change the firmware if needed and no one would know any better. leica seems to have chosen a different path

Okay back to the golf and heat . Round 2

Look at this as leica wanted to give you a heads up so you did not think anything else when this hits the streets on the newly built bodies by next firmware we will all catch up anyway. have fun