SL2-S for Filmmaking?

jonnyboy

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

I got thrown off by the fact it doesn't shoot in body 10bit when in slow mo (50fps)? Correct me if I'm wrong!? That is a bit disappointing...

The SL2 does in 10 Bit on the card 4.2.2 

MOV C4K: 59.94 fps, 50 fps, 

MP4 4 K: 59.94 fps, 50 fps,

I think the SL2-s can only do it in Super 35 crop. not sure why since it is the same processor of the SL2

21 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

I haven't heard anyone filming (professionally) and not shooting in LOG for a bunch of years now - I had a look at the S-Log from Leica and it looks pretty good to me. As posted above, those reference video from Leica commercials are pretty great!

I got thrown off by the fact it doesn't shoot in body 10bit when in slow mo (50fps)? Correct me if I'm wrong!? That is a bit disappointing...

I may have to swing by the Leica store and see if I can take it out for a spin....

You can shoot 10 bits log up to 60 fps internally. The only trade-off is the color subsampling goes from 422 to 420, but that is mostly negligeable. If you have atomos you gain back ALL-I with ridiculous data volume (1800mbps) and 422 when shooting above 30fps.

SL2 will do 60fps in FF. SL2s above 30fps reverts to APS-C.
SL2 will do 5K Academy (Anamorphic) 4:3 up to 30fps in 10 bits 420. SL2s will do (for now) APS-C pixel-to-pixel 12 bits raw with Atomos/Blackmagic

• Like 3

On 6/15/2022 at 10:08 PM, Photoworks said:

The SL2 does in 10 Bit on the card 4.2.2 

MOV C4K: 59.94 fps, 50 fps, 

MP4 4 K: 59.94 fps, 50 fps,

I think the SL2-s can only do it in Super 35 crop. not sure why since it is the same processor of the SL2

It's a limitation of the sensor unfortunately, not the processor. S1, S1H, S5, SL2-s all have the same base 24px sensor and some of them can do high frame rates on full sensor width.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, jonnyboy said:

Guys I got a question: how do you 'magnify' the video (to check the focus) whilst is recording? I do have an assigned button but it doesn't seems to work whilst it's actually recording?

You can't on the camera, but you can on external HDMI recorders.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

That is not what I meant. There are plenty of fake  Sandisk cards  around that cause problems like these.

https://thetechreviewer.com/tech-tips/fake-sandisk-sd-card-counterfeit/

Check your camera user manual for the specifications needed. Hearing from a friend is not the most reliable of sources.

15 hours ago, Nguyen Ngo said:

I got an issue with memory card, it’s stop recording after 1 minute ( Using a SD from Sandisk 270mbs ). Which SD card do you guys using for highest bitrate on Leica SL2-S? I’m aiming for Sony Tough M 277MBs, will it work or I need to go for 300MBs ? 

Stay away from Sony tough…. To many problem on Leica 

I am using owc atlas s pro and prograde 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, sblitz said:

What software to process the video? It seems like there is a lot of post-processing to do, I am used to looking at pictures. Software is a new language to me. Any suggestions?

I would highly recommend DaVinci Resolve (I am a former Premiere and Final Cut Pro user). Resolve is available on Mac, PC, Linux, and iPad. It has free and paid versions (no subscription). Many of the built-in tools are excellent (e.g. image stabilization) and/or best-in-class (color grading). There is an abundant ecosystem of tools and tutorials. Moderately easy to learn and will never let you down (used for the most advanced commercial productions).

56 minutes ago, sblitz said:

What software to process the video? It seems like there is a lot of post-processing to do, I am used to looking at pictures. Software is a new language to me. Any suggestions?

use the free version da vinci resolve

However

IF you use lightroom

there is a cool way to process videos,

extract frame from video in the lib module

in the develop module, work as you usually would but save the preset with a proper name

go back to the library and re-import the video, but apply the develop preset on import, play to check and then export the video

done this many times for works really well.

Edited by frame-it
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sblitz said:

Thanks! I have downloaded DaVinci Resolve, and I can't seem to be able to do any color grading or editing. Perhaps I am using a version of "film" from the Leica where I need a paid version?

You will need to buy the studio version to edit Leica log files. But it is worth the money. They even have an iPad version now little simpler.

I don’t shoot anything else but log ,L-Log Transform DCTL can be used to normalize the material to normal color and preserving the full exposure range of log.

https://xtremestuff.net/store/leica-l-log-transform/

• Like 1