Big Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.4.0) and SL2-S (v.3.0)

Leon_B.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today Leica has released firmware update v.4.0 for the Leica SL2. Here is the link to the firmware download and an overview of all improvements.

Downloads

» Leica SL2 v.4.0 Download

» Leica SL2-S v.3.0 Download
Improvements

• New: Direct setting of ISO sensitivity via thumbwheel/front dial
  • New: Configurable time before automatic WLAN shutdown ( Wi-Fi Sleep Mode )
  • New: Photo and video tagging via joystick
  • Advanced: Additional function support for L-Mount-Alliance lenses
  • Advanced: Additional functions for direct access via FN button
  • Improved: AF metering method  Person Detection  allows the selection of the primarily focused eye
  • Improved: ISO settings in finer increments (1⁄2EV or 1⁄3EV)
  • Improved: Power saving mode can be completely deactivated (no AF system shutdown when recording via HDMI)
  • Improved: Bugfixes in the firmware

PHOTO

• New: Quick change of AF metering position between most recently used position and image center
  • New: Exposure and depth of field preview
  • Improved: Geotagging (via Leica FOTOS)

VIDEO

• New: (SL2-S only) RAW format output via HDMI for external device recording
  • Improved: Aperture setting in T-stops (1⁄2 and 1⁄3 increments) in Cine Mode
  • Improved: HDMI output compatibility with Leica FOTOS
  • Improved: HDMI output compatibility with USB connection
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 6

• Leon_B. changed the title to Big Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.4.0)
  • Leon_B. changed the title to Big Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.4.0) and SL2-S (v.3.0)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, I’m hoping this isn’t the case but I’m assuming the new firmware features — DOF preview and being able to recenter the focus point automatically only apply to users mounting native L-mount lenses? I’m a new SL2-S owner who is using for the moment only m-lenses and the new firmware addresses the two minor gripes I have with the system — lack of DOF preview and the ability to recenter automatically the focus point. 

56 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

Finally I have DOF preview for my close up work.  Makes things so much easier.  

Yes, indeed. A welcome addition! I wish you could disable having to cycle through the likely redundant exposure-preview, or that it would only do that depending on whether “Exposure Preview” is set to “P-A-S-M” or “P-A-S”. The only time I would want the “aperture and shutter” preview would be when in manual mode and “P-A-S” Exposure Preview mode. 

Unless I’m missing it, still no way to customize which items appear as options on a Fn button long press (a la Q2), which is even more of a bummer now that they’ve added even more options to scroll through. Would love to pare down these epic lists!

Edited by matted

2 hours ago, matted said:

Yes, indeed. A welcome addition! I wish you could disable having to cycle through the likely redundant exposure-preview, or that it would only do that depending on whether “Exposure Preview” is set to “P-A-S-M” or “P-A-S”. The only time I would want the “aperture and shutter” preview would be when in manual mode and “P-A-S” Exposure Preview mode. 

Unless I’m missing it, still no way to customize which items appear as options on a Fn button long press (a la Q2), which is even more of a bummer now that they’ve added even more options to scroll through. Would love to pare down these epic lists!

I haven't played around with it yet - is there an explanation of how it's implemented somewhere?  I'm assuming it's not automatic and always in the EVF like it is with my Sony cameras.  

Uh oh. After updating I see a system error after a 5-20 frames.

initial symptoms - camera becomes non-responsive, screen goes back and shutter will not fire, or System error message.

Battery has to be ejected to restart camera.

Any ideas?

1st time I have seen this during any firmware update

2 minutes ago, Dr. G said:

I haven't played around with it yet - is there an explanation of how it's implemented somewhere?  I'm assuming it's not automatic and always in the EVF like it is with my Sony cameras.  

The release notes have a summary of how it’s implemented. Once you assign it to a function button, a single press stops the lens down and puts a little green indicator next to the selected aperture, and a second press gives you a full exposure preview with chosen aperture (still indicated by green indicator), chosen shutter speed (another green indicator pops up next to selected shutter speed), and then a 3rd press brings you back to “normal” view. 

My beef is that if your Exposure Preview is set to P-A-S-M, or that you are in any mode other than Manual when it is set to P-A-S, then you are already getting a preview of both your selected aperture and shutter speed after the first press, making the 2nd one redundant IMHO. 

System error has when autofocus is engaged. When I'm in manual focus, no issues.

I had the 35APOSL on the camera when I did the update.  I'm going to try another SL lens.

6 minutes ago, scroy said:

Uh oh. After updating I see a system error after a 5-20 frames.

initial symptoms - camera becomes non-responsive, screen goes back and shutter will not fire, or System error message.

Battery has to be ejected to restart camera.

Any ideas?

1st time I have seen this during any firmware update