Bricked my SL2-S while updating firmware - help!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently downloaded the new Fotos app and just this morning decided to pair my SL2-S for the first time. All was going well and I noticed there was a firmware update available for my camera.

On my first attempt to update the firmware via Fotos I was told my battery was too low. So I replaced with a fresh battery and tried again. This time, everything seemed to be going well. The Fotos app was transferring the update just fine. When it seemed as if the transfer was complete, the app told me there was an error and the firmware could not be updated. However, my camera showed that it was still updating the firmware (little circle was turning). But it seemed to be stuck there, not doing anything, no signs of any change. After a few minutes I tried turning the camera off, exiting from the menu...no dice, still just the turning wheel. So then I popped the battery out and now my camera is completely bricked. It will not turn on at all (battery removed, replaced, doesn't make a difference) and shows no signs of life.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to revive my camera?

Thank you!!

I'm a long way (a flight or multi-day drive) from the nearest Leica store. If there's a way I can revive it on my own, I'd like to try that first. If the only answer is to send it to a Leica store I'll gladly do that.

Thanks though.

The only way if it won't even turn on. Frustrating for sure. For the future, I would never update any firmware of any camera via wifi or bluetooth but only via memory card. One little blip in the connection and things like this can happen. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, charlesphoto99 said:

The only way if it won't even turn on. Frustrating for sure. For the future, I would never update any firmware of any camera via wifi or bluetooth but only via memory card. One little blip in the connection and things like this can happen. 

Thanks for the tip. Honestly I hadn't even really thought about updating the firmware, but once I saw the prompt in Fotos I just went with it. I never had an issue with a firmware update before (with ANY camera), so I didn't even realize it could go this bad. A failure of imagination on my part.