Big Firmware Update for Leica SL2 (v.4.0) and SL2-S (v.3.0)

Leon_B.

1 hour ago, matted said:

Just to confirm, you are getting the "No firmware on SD card found" error

Yep. I only used one card in the camera, (slot 2 is empty) and formatted it prior to downloading the file. Is this a problem using a MAC or iPhone? 

damn this is irritating. (But thanks for your help).

10 minutes ago, Doug Trabaris said:

Yep. I only used one card in the camera, (slot 2 is empty) and formatted it prior to downloading the file. Is this a problem using a MAC or iPhone? 

Did you format it using the camera or the Mac? I would recommend the former and not the latter. 

And no problem. Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug Trabaris said:

Disable Bluetooth and wifi in the camera and try again,  at least with Panasonic s cameras this used to block the update for some.

11 hours ago, hossegor said:

will be interesting to see if they fixed the power issue of not being able to shoot burst with third party lenses wiht 50% battery. 

This doesn't only happen with third party lenses,  also with my 35 sl apo I get the warning, perhaps not at 50%, but the warning is their, and appears as well with the new firmware.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matted said:

My beef is that if your Exposure Preview is set to P-A-S-M, or that you are in any mode other than Manual when it is set to P-A-S, then you are already getting a preview of both your selected aperture and shutter speed after the first press, making the 2nd one redundant IMHO. 

Not really, that's not how it worked. Before you could get an exposure preview only. Now you can get dof and shutter preview, those are different. Shutter preview simulates the impact of your shutter,  wish that could be disabled and let you use dof preview, given shutter preview is must of the time irrelevant and if using low shutter speeds makes everything in the screen very slow. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Doug Trabaris said:

Doug, the FW update file is definitely on root level of your SD card?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Doug Trabaris said:

It's not a MAC issue, I use a MAC. You may have downloaded the file twice onto the card. I've inadvertently done this before & the camera doesn't recognise the file.

Reformat the card, download FW again & drag the FW File from the MAC to the SD card......

The thing that drives me nuts after a FW update is having to redo all of my camera settings again, even when I've copied settings onto the card, it makes no difference  😤

Edited by michali
  • Like 1

I just updated my SL2-S.  Pretty much all my SL lenses needed a lens FW update.

I did have one odd glitch when the 24-90 finished updating and the camera did a factory reset after restarting the camera which is needed after a FW update.  This didn’t happen with the 16-35, 90-280, and 28 APO but for these 3, I turned off the camera before mounting the lens whereas for the 24-90, I swapped lenses with the camera powered up. No idea if that’s related.

Not sure what the updates are but the 24-90 went to v2.2 and all other SL lenses went to v3.0 FW.

Also, regarding updating the FW, my SL2-S is setup so that when it is connected to a computer or iPad via USB, it mounts as an external drive so I just used the Files app on my iPad to transfer the FW image to the camera SD card and did the FW update.

Edited by beewee

31 minutes ago, michali said:

The thing that drives me nuts after a FW update is having to redo all of my camera settings again, even when I've copied settings onto the card, it makes no difference  😤

I haven't installed this version yet, but previous times this has worked fine for me. I export my profile to a separate card (before starting the FW process) and then re-import profile via the user profile settings. So far this has worked flawlessly.

• Thanks 1

Responding to the various issues people have had.....

I updated the SL2-S with the second card slot with a card in it - no problems.

I saved my user profiles to card before starting the update (both manually and when prompted by the update process). Reloading the profiles gave me all my settings back. 

I have put all my lenses on the camera (three zooms, 35, 75 & 90) with no issues - updates for all lenses went through. NB I restarted the camera with the updated lens on after each update - I didn't restart the camera with a different lens.

However, my SL2-S DID do its own factory reset sometime shortly after I had done the original body firmware update  - I think it was just after the first lens update (24-90). It hasn't happened since, and I have updated all my other lenses since then, switching the camera on and off without any recurrence. I still had my profiles on the SD card, so recovering from the factory reset was not a problem. I shall make sure I keep them stored on my laptop just in case it happens again.

Looks like the factory reset fault is quite common - time will tell if it is a one-off.

8 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I still had my profiles on the SD card, so recovering from the factory reset was not a problem. I shall make sure I keep them stored on my laptop just in case it happens again.

Yup. Saving and exporting user profiles is key. I always keep a backup copy elsewhere and I manually export profiles before FW update just in case the automatic (optional) export fails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michali said:

It's not a MAC issue, I use a MAC. You may have downloaded the file twice onto the card. I've inadvertently done this before & the camera doesn't recognise the file.

Reformat the card, download FW again & drag the FW File from the MAC to the SD card......

Having to redo everything, is not really the case, you can export the profiles and re import them. Perhaps there are settings that are not loaded? I did the upgrade for m10 and sl2s and just reloaded the profiles, that was it.

• Thanks 1

Updated and looks like most things are working well (at least of what i have tested so far), but the focus assist bug is back and they haven't fixed the profile drop bug (it retains part of the previously selected profile after restarting, but doesn't display the previously selected profile name in the display). The camera seems to start up faster than previous.

David

6 hours ago, beewee said:

I did have one odd glitch when the 24-90 finished updating and the camera did a factory reset after restarting the camera which is needed after a FW update.  This didn’t happen with the 16-35, 90-280, and 28 APO but for these 3, I turned off the camera before mounting the lens whereas for the 24-90, I swapped lenses with the camera powered up. No idea if that’s related.

Not sure what the updates are but the 24-90 went to v2.2 and all other SL lenses went to FW 3.0.

5 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

However, my SL2-S DID do its own factory reset sometime shortly after I had done the original body firmware update  - I think it was just after the first lens update (24-90). Looks like the factory reset fault is quite common - time will tell if it is a one-off.

I only have one SL lens currently; the 24-90. Seems like the extra reset might be related to that lens + the SL2-S, at least in our sample size of 3. My reset came sometime later… there was certainly some time fiddling with the new settings and exposure preview prior to the reset happening. I have done numerous power cycles and test shots since then, and have not yet had a repeat (*knocks wood*). 

8 hours ago, Malabito said:

Not really, that's not how it worked. Before you could get an exposure preview only. Now you can get dof and shutter preview, those are different. Shutter preview simulates the impact of your shutter,  wish that could be disabled and let you use dof preview, given shutter preview is must of the time irrelevant and if using low shutter speeds makes everything in the screen very slow. 

Ahh, didn't realize that. The screen also got slow for me just when stopping down so I didn't notice the change. Makes sense, but I agree.... shutter speed preview is about as useful as an ashtray on a motorcycle for me. Wish that you could configure it for a straight up aperture toggle and not have to cycle through the shutter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1